The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

37 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

1AA1A1FF-F023-4D7E-89F7-77963AED9BB5.jpeg

The sophists were good at arguing, though.

On a board full of people who are pretty mature and rational, hedge their statements, and generally know what they're talking about, he picks the flipside to the consensus contrarian analysis. That way if he "wins" he can be the sole possessor of the Right Take. Just a narcissist who's probably used to dominating the kitchen table discussion with Facts & Logic. This dude belongs in a 2nd year philosophy seminar to duke it out with other knowitalls.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I like this word...I am going to write this down for the next argument with my wife.  NAM, you might just have turned the tide in the battle over the toilet seat in my house.  

I lost that battle years ago and have spent the last 20 years of putting the toilet seat down only to be told earlier this week to stop doing it as its waking her up in the middle of the night.  Last night for the first time I had a big smile on my face when I got up to pee.  The little things give you so much pleasure. True story.  Sometimes it takes 20 years of submission to win the war.  

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I lost that battle years ago and have spent the last 20 years of putting the toilet seat down only to be told earlier this week to stop doing it as its waking her up in the middle of the night.  Last night for the first time I had a big smile on my face when I got up to pee.  The little things give you so much pleasure. True story.  Sometimes it takes 20 years of submission to win the war.  

That's some serious rope-a-dope shit, right there! 🤣

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm OOTL does UT hate women or something?

No he doesn't. He made a comment about social media and commitment and now everyone is riding him into the ground for it. Although I didn't agree with him either I didn't feel the need to chirp at him incessantly. Where are all these self-righteous people when Ozzie the Douchebag is making his wild claims and viewpoints...most of which are based on his pro - American (or anti - Canadian...take your pick) tangents. I really don't get some of the hate for UT on here. Like I said I don't always agree with his views but he's also brought a lot to this forum. Oh well...carry on I guess.

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

No he doesn't. He made a comment about social media and commitment and now everyone is riding him into the ground for it. Although I didn't agree with him either I didn't feel the need to chirp at him incessantly. Where are all these self-righteous people when Ozzie the Douchebag is making his wild claims and viewpoints...most of which are based on his pro - American (or anti - Canadian...take your pick) tangents. I really don't get some of the hate for UT on here. Like I said I don't always agree with his views but he's also brought a lot to this forum. Oh well...carry on I guess.

I was of the same opinion.  I have disagreed with him but also learned things from him in the past.

However, the "riding" he has got in this had very little to do with the original comment about social media and much more the logical leap that everyone was sexist who disagreed with him.   In my opinion. 

This has happened a fair bit lately.  Some great sweeping accusations and outright name calling if you happened to disagreed. 

Dogpiling does not help but neither does that. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I didn't agree with his comments but there is a lot of data and research pointing to social media causing anxiety, depression and burn out especially amongst young people. There is a lot of "fun" being had of course but there is also mounting pressure being put on people in the public eye to "perform" on line in an effort to monetize their profile. This pressure can become a distraction from the primary body of work that has put the individual in their position of notoriety. Again, I did not agree with his opinion on that particular situation. The general thought should not be completely dismissed as someone who just doesn't get it or is out of touch. Even as someone who doesn't go online to create a profile that creates revenue, there isn't a week that goes by where I dont have a moment when I'm on line and I remind myself to get back to doing something more productive and beneficial to my life and the people around me. I challenge anyone to go offline for 24hrs and not admit they don't feel happier, calmer and more focused after the fact.

Edited by SpursFlu

28 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I didn't agree with his comments but there is a lot of data and research pointing to social media causing anxiety, depression and burn out especially amongst young people. There is a lot of "fun" being had of course but there is also mounting pressure being put on people in the public eye to "perform" on line in an effort to monetize their profile. This pressure can become a distraction from the primary body of work that has put the individual in their position of notoriety. Again, I did not agree with his opinion on that particular situation. The general thought should not be completely dismissed as someone who just doesn't get it or is out of touch. Even as someone who doesn't go online to create a profile that creates revenue, there isn't a week that goes by where I dont have a moment when I'm on line and I remind myself to get back to doing something more productive and beneficial to my life and the people around me. I challenge anyone to go offline for 24hrs and not admit they don't feel happier, calmer and more focused after the fact.

I don't think any of that is applicable to posting a positive comment on your boyfriend's IG post about his return to training after a few weeks out with injury. Because that's the 'crime' for which UT condemned Jordyn Huitema. I am also generally supportive of UT's posting, even when he chooses the weirdest hills to die on. But, in this case, he's made it way too easy for everyone and their uncle to dunk on him. And, as long as it remains light-hearted, it's all in good fun on this great day for Canadian football. I'm sure UT is one of the best equipped Vs to take the shots for a little bit and just carry on.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

To deflect the shots UT is taking I'm going to say "none of you guys know anything about anything".😁😄

Let me take a stab.  Hey..what i said was goofy...I was on heavy cold medicine that day.  Cheers!

See most of us were taught as kids to admit our mistakes and not to double down on them and prolong the agony.  

I had heard about this multiple page fiasco in other threads, but only caught up with it now. Wow.

Can a mod change the name of this thread to "The importance of instagram"?

On the topic of piling on, when someone digs their heels in, and doesn't answer simple questions asking for clarification (like what it means to be 100% focused for days before a big game, and instead just takes random shots at others), that person is BEGGING to be piled on to.

I will say though that as someone that doesn't use instagram, I had a vague idea that some content disappears after a short time, and it seemed obvious to me that UT didn't know that when he was alluding to Davies never posting when people were saying he was posting. I think someone could have pointed that out to him earlier and things might not have ended up going as far as they did. But maybe people take for granted that everyone would know that when they reference "stories".

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

I will say though that as someone that doesn't use instagram, I had a vague idea that some content disappears after a short time, and it seemed obvious to me that UT didn't know that when he was alluding to Davies never posting when people were saying he was posting. I think someone could have pointed that out to him earlier and things might not have ended up going as far as they did. But maybe people take for granted that everyone would know that when they reference "stories".

While that may be, it is still an entirely ludicrous to take issue with a 20 year-old posting a comment on her boyfriend's instagram two days before a match, which is what started the whole tire fire.  Fully deserved pile-on in my opinion.

Pretty lengthy new CNN interview with him. Favourite topics covered.

'My time is not done': Football star Alphonso Davies talks NFTs, TikTok, success at Bayern and the future

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/10/football/alphonso-davies-profile-bayern-munich-spt-intl/index.html

As much as I dislike giving them clicks, some interesting information there.

5 hours ago, El Hombre said:

While that may be, it is still an entirely ludicrous to take issue with a 20 year-old posting a comment on her boyfriend's instagram two days before a match, which is what started the whole tire fire.  Fully deserved pile-on in my opinion.

I agree with that. It was a terrible take from UT. It was a very innocuous 2 and a half word response "He's back". I found it hilarious/ironic that in his 2nd post on the topic he said "it is unnecessary, its superfluous" about her comment. So was his entire contribution to this thread on that topic.

I have to thank so many of you for taking so much time to discuss my post, which started by saying "hilarious" to Jordyn commenting on her BFs instagram page. Jordyn acquited herself with a good performance, which is what matters. For me she held up well, got to high balls, distributed, then defended set pieces with her height. She was better than Beckie and probably better than Sinclair as well. So all power to her. 

Most fans of the women's game post over there, on those threads, where many posters here would never be caught dead. Unless it is to nitpick and deride their merits. You know who you are. 

@Kent@El Hombresaying I made a critical or crucial mistake, and insisting triumphantly on it days after, hammering away. Wouldn't you say your need to strut around on the board is at least as pathetic as mine? As I see it, since you want your posts to get more attention, don't be lemmings, stop cowering behind someone else's controversy, and risk an opinion for once, it's only a message board. 

Which is why sophistry was the wrong term, @dyslexic nam The Sophists were relativists, first of all, they saw all sides of every argument. Then evaded. The problem was they had a public task in a nascent democracy, but instead squandered their intellects yapping about and fussing over issues for pure entertainment, never getting to a publicly useful conclusion while other more important things were going on. So sophistry only matters if those being sophists matter in any given society. And we don't, not one of us. Anything fundamental takes place elsewhere and the Voyageurs board is just for fun, for fans. 

But thanks for showing us the syllable breaks, you're sharper than the sharp end of the winning spud at the Potato Blossom Festival.

In any case, there was a rhetorical import (staying with things Greek) to what I posted. Focus on an important match fully and completely before you play it. Prepare 110%. There are no excuses. In the end, you are all right, the details are not important, a tweet, a barbecue before a big match, the guys going out clubbing (Romario said he had to go clubbing to perform properly on the pitch, so fair enough, I was wrong). But of course this board is full of boys and men thrilled over moral victories which are in fact losses. Celebrating losses. Gold Cup losses, to go with a losing mentality.

The only significant win in Canadian soccer in the last two decades was the TFC MLS Cup. And even then they stupidly threw away at least one other trophy--a superior team being out-matched mentally. That psychological factor again. I'm surprised TFC fans think that is okay. I am not a TFC fan but support all Canadian teams in the crunch--and it still irks me that TFC was not a dynasty, it was a flash in the pan (and more so when the rival was the team I most dislike, the Sounders, who have both quality football, good fans and a winning mentality).

And then when the women win, only about 10% of those lording it over my idiocy here had anything to say on the Canada-Sweden thread. And half of those went over, condescendingly, to nitpick and deride their merits, like @Gian-Luca and @AvroArrowthis latter a disgrace to his username, which represents Canadian excellence. The fact is that most men on this board dislike women's soccer, won't watch it, and won't even acknowledge the merit of winning something. Losing to the US and Mexico got more love. 

I could go further, but I have no problem admitting that a player in this day and age could do social media posts and still be a great professional. Personally, I don't like it. I don't like anything getting in the way of the focus you need, and I say this as a fan.  If you don't agree, that is fine.

My general opinion is that most of the posts on this thread have been laughable and much worse than my insistence on an opinion. I mean, if you can't risk an opinion here, where you may only know 8-10 posters (my case), what sort of character do you have? Some guys, even trying to be nice, argued that since they like a lot of my posts, I should shut up so they can like all of them. In my personal relationships, no one agrees with me entirely and I don't agree with anyone entirely either, not my wife, kid, parents, best friends, closest colleagues. And no one makes such immature demands on me, nor I on them. I have no problem taking the good and the bad from most people in my life, including somethings I think are totally idiotic. And of course those who love me, or appreciate me, do exactly the same. But you don't agree, I find it sad.

LIke others laughing about how ignorant I am about Instagram, then insisting Davies does his own posting all by himself and denying outright he has help. I mean, if you are having fun piling on, there is plenty there to inspire you. Davies has a producer, part of a media team, a community manager, then specific sponsor liasons for concrete posts, and all his activity follows contractual guidelines and more. How many, when, who does them. He also has to follow Bayern and CSA protocols when posting. Now watch guys come on and tell me it is not so. 

To conclude: I am old school, a boomer and fucking ignorant. But if most of you agree you are not and think I'm a joke, how come you in fact really are so damn fucking ignorant after all? And in a question that is arguably more important: he's 100% filtered, he makes income this way, and others do too, they live off his social media presence. Jordyn is not as filtered, because she has a much lower income and profile, but makes money off Davies, trickle down. They go to Zara together in Paris just by chance, really? Her social media presence complements a far lower salary. Yes: Jordyn Huitema is supplementing salary, garnering followers and likes, by commenting on a Davies post about his injury, after already having spoken to him privately about the same thing he is posting about.

Hilarious.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist