The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Having an opinion is not the problem.

I could go further, but I have no problem admitting that a player in this day and age could do social media posts and still be a great professional. Personally, I don't like it. I don't like anything getting in the way of the focus you need, and I say this as a fan.  If you don't agree, that is fine.

There. Fixed the post.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have to thank so many of you for taking so much time to discuss my post, which started by saying "hilarious" to Jordyn commenting on her BFs instagram page. Jordyn acquited herself with a good performance, which is what matters. For me she held up well, got to high balls, distributed, then defended set pieces with her height. She was better than Beckie and probably better than Sinclair as well. So all power to her. 

Most fans of the women's game post over there, on those threads, where many posters here would never be caught dead. Unless it is to nitpick and deride their merits. You know who you are. 

@Kent@El Hombresaying I made a critical or crucial mistake, and insisting triumphantly on it days after, hammering away. Wouldn't you say your need to strut around on the board is at least as pathetic as mine? As I see it, since you want your posts to get more attention, don't be lemmings, stop cowering behind someone else's controversy, and risk an opinion for once, it's only a message board. 

Which is why sophistry was the wrong term, @dyslexic nam The Sophists were relativists, first of all, they saw all sides of every argument. Then evaded. The problem was they had a public task in a nascent democracy, but instead squandered their intellects yapping about and fussing over issues for pure entertainment, never getting to a publicly useful conclusion while other more important things were going on. So sophistry only matters if those being sophists matter in any given society. And we don't, not one of us. Anything fundamental takes place elsewhere and the Voyageurs board is just for fun, for fans. 

But thanks for showing us the syllable breaks, you're sharper than the sharp end of the winning spud at the Potato Blossom Festival.

In any case, there was a rhetorical import (staying with things Greek) to what I posted. Focus on an important match fully and completely before you play it. Prepare 110%. There are no excuses. In the end, you are all right, the details are not important, a tweet, a barbecue before a big match, the guys going out clubbing (Romario said he had to go clubbing to perform properly on the pitch, so fair enough, I was wrong). But of course this board is full of boys and men thrilled over moral victories which are in fact losses. Celebrating losses. Gold Cup losses, to go with a losing mentality.

The only significant win in Canadian soccer in the last two decades was the TFC MLS Cup. And even then they stupidly threw away at least one other trophy--a superior team being out-matched mentally. That psychological factor again. I'm surprised TFC fans think that is okay. I am not a TFC fan but support all Canadian teams in the crunch--and it still irks me that TFC was not a dynasty, it was a flash in the pan (and more so when the rival was the team I most dislike, the Sounders, who have both quality football, good fans and a winning mentality).

And then when the women win, only about 10% of those lording it over my idiocy here had anything to say on the Canada-Sweden thread. And half of those went over, condescendingly, to nitpick and deride their merits, like @Gian-Luca and @AvroArrowthis latter a disgrace to his username, which represents Canadian excellence. Gianluca is obviously one of the absolutely top posters on this board, but he is a sexist slum and this does not bother him at all, so no problem me saying it. I just hope he does not have any daughters. The fact is that most men on this board dislike women's soccer, won't watch it, and won't even acknowledge the merit of winning something. Losing to the US and Mexico got more love. 

I could go further, but I have no problem admitting that a player in this day and age could do social media posts and still be a great professional. Personally, I don't like it. I don't like anything getting in the way of the focus you need, and I say this as a fan.  If you don't agree, that is fine.

My general opinion is that most of the posts on this thread have been laughable and much worse than my insistence on an opinion. I mean, if you can't risk an opinion here, where you may only know 8-10 posters (my case), what sort of character do you have? Some guys, even trying to be nice, argued that since they like a lot of my posts, I should shut up so they can like all of them. In my personal relationships, no one agrees with me entirely and I don't agree with anyone entirely either, not my wife, kid, parents, best friends, closest colleagues. And no one makes such immature demands on me, nor I on them. I have no problem taking the good and the bad from most people in my life, including somethings I think are totally idiotic. And of course those who love me, or appreciate me, do exactly the same. But you don't agree, I find it sad.

LIke others laughing about how ignorant I am about Instagram, then insisting Davies does his own posting all by himself and denying outright he has help. I mean, if you are having fun piling on, there is plenty there to inspire you. Davies has a producer, part of a media team, a community manager, then specific sponsor liasons for concrete posts, and all his activity follows contractual guidelines and more. How many, when, who does them. He also has to follow Bayern and CSA protocols when posting. Now watch guys come on and tell me it is not so. 

To conclude: I am old school, a boomer and fucking ignorant. But if most of you agree you are not and think I'm a joke, how come you in fact really are so damn fucking ignorant after all? And in a question that is arguably more important: he's 100% filtered, he makes income this way, and others do too, they live off his social media presence. Jordyn is not as filtered, because she has a much lower income and profile, but makes money off Davies, trickle down. They go to Zara together in Paris just by chance, really? Her social media presence complements a far lower salary. Yes: Jordyn Huitema is supplementing salary, garnering followers and likes, by commenting on a Davies post about his injury, after already having spoken to him privately about the same thing he is posting about.

Hilarious.

B8F12D5A-E023-42DA-A81B-96F027F54840.jpeg.2b89c4fb0f6e16f4f1816ad1a611eea7.jpeg

Just to clarify, the claim that I am "sexist slum" doesn't bother me (in terms of being offended, outraged, appalled or whatever adjective one cares to use) because I know it to be false. Especially since the phony allegation appears to be based on claims that I was "nitpicking" the women's team performance in the Gold Medal match forum when they won the Gold. For the benefit of people in this thread I'm assuming that the offensive nitpicks garnering were (a) posting my jubilation that I was happy that the Canadian women won even though I thought the Swedish women were clearly the better team on the day and (b) the quality of play in the 2021 Olympic tourney seemed to take a downturn vs. the 2019 Women's World Cup after another poster pointed out that the Champions of the tourney didn't score a goal from open play after the preliminary round (something which I think is smoking gun evidence for that claim).

Both nitpicks in question compare women to other women, so I would have a hard time imagining that even John Herdman would launch a "sexism" accusation about those two posts. I gather what is really bothering UT (to the point that he's tagged myself & Avro Arrow twice to launch personal attacks at us) is that the "nitpicks" in question are being seen as by-product that I and many others on this forum are far more passionate about the men's team than the women's team, hence why instead of being head over heels in delirium and looking at everything through rose-coloured glasses, some of us had a more measured response to the women's victory even though we were all clearly happy about it. This also seems to be borne out by the references to how smaller the women's Gold Medal match thread was in comparison to the Men's Gold Cup matches threads.

To which I say...so what if most people here are more passionate about the men's game than the women? That would also be a ridiculous basis for attacking people on the basis of "sexism" (assuming that's what the claim is). Passion isn't something that can be controlled in equal measures just for the sake of appearing politically-correct. In addition to one's own personal journey in becoming a fan of either or both the men's & women's teams (I have been following the men's team since I was a young boy, whereas I started following the women a quarter of a century later so the men's team is always going to mean more to me on the basis of the sort of bonds, dreams and aspirations that one develops as a child - likewise they could make the best Star Wars movie of all time next year but it would never mean as much to me as the original film did which I saw at the same time I started to attend men's soccer matches), there are clear differences in the men's & women's games (no doubt I will now get accused of being sexist for saying that) that can give cause to people liking/being more passionate about one versus the other. If, for example, people find that the slower speed of play in the women's game is more exciting, that's good for them but you likely won't see me accusing that person of being misandrist for having that opinion or for being more passionate about the women's game than the men's.

That's not a facetious point by the way - growing up I much preferred men's tennis to women's as the personalities in the men's game were more interesting and the women's game seemed less exciting and interesting by comparison as there seemed to be tons of baseline rallies that would go on interminably. Over time, things have switched - I prefer the women's game now, the quality of play & excitement has improved, there's more personalities, while the men's tennis game has been boring for years IMO - all huge guys doing power serves and seemingly no rallies at all, no "little guys" like John McEnroe (who wasn't considered little at the time) doing incredible volley work at the net while accusing the umpires of pontificating (which is my favourite McEnroe on-court quote, even more than "You can't be serious!" or "Answer the Question, Jerk!"). So yes, the quality of play can have an effect on how excited or passionate one gets about sports.

What all this has to do with Alphonso Davies is beyond me, I only posted in this thread after being tagged in here, unfortunately I took the bait but not to "pile on" anyone, by the way, but a genuine attempt so that certain people can at least appreciate the perspectives of others without launching into erroneous, uncalled for and unprovoked personal attacks.

As an aside, we are, not pun intended, seemingly in a Golden Age right now for soccer in Canada. The men's team has never looked better (with certain men's players playing at an unprecedented club level) and clearly the women's team has never been more successful. Maybe its time to remember the opening lyrics to the best Styx album of all time "Light up, everybody! Join us in this celebration...."

Edited by Gian-Luca

I'm only posting here because once again I am being tagged in a rambling diatribe by Unnamed Trialist.  I am assuming he is drunk.

For the record, he is angry with me because I stated the pk shootout between Canada and Sweden was not a shining example of how to take pks, as a large amount of the shots for both teams were at the height of the keepers' arms and close to the centre of the net.  This excludes the skyball, a post, and a crossbar.  I would say this if it was a mens team, a womens team, or a kids team.  This doesn't mean I wasn't cheering when we won.

Now @Unnamed Trialist, feel free to tell us more about how you watched Spanish 5th division soccer in person and how that gives you technical insights that the rest of us are oblivious to.  I wait with bated breath.

34 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

The only thing that's hilarious is expecting for anyone to read all that 🤣

I’m mostly a lurker, so I don’t have the posting equity that most people have. But I found my experience here improved dramatically when I put UT (and one or two others) on my ignore list and I am no longer seeing seeing their comments automatically. I would highly recommend that to others who feel the same. 

7 minutes ago, frattinator said:

I’m mostly a lurker, so I don’t have the posting equity that most people have. But I found my experience here improved dramatically when I put UT (and one or two others) on my ignore list and I am no longer seeing seeing their comments automatically. I would highly recommend that to others who feel the same. 

Yeah.  I have a few on ignore.  UT hasn't been one of them as he quite often has good insights but I am seriously contemplating it as he seems to have really lost the plot lately

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just to clarify, the claim that I am "sexist slum" doesn't bother me (in terms of being offended, outraged, appalled or whatever adjective one cares to use) because I know it to be false. Especially since the phony allegation appears to be based on claims that I was "nitpicking" the women's team performance in the Gold Medal match forum when they won the Gold. For the benefit of people in this thread I'm assuming that the offensive nitpicks garnering were (a) posting my jubilation that I was happy that the Canadian women won even though I thought the Swedish women were clearly the better team on the day and (b) the quality of play in the 2021 Olympic tourney seemed to take a downturn vs. the 2019 Women's World Cup after another poster pointed out that the Champions of the tourney didn't score a goal from open play after the preliminary round (something which I think is smoking gun evidence for that claim).

Both nitpicks in question compare women to other women, so I would have a hard time imagining that even John Herdman would launch a "sexism" accusation about those two posts. I gather what is really bothering UT (to the point that he's tagged myself & Avro Arrow twice to launch personal attacks at us) is that the "nitpicks" in question are being seen as by-product that I and many others on this forum are far more passionate about the men's team than the women's team, hence why instead of being head over heels in delirium and looking at everything through rose-coloured glasses, some of us had a more measured response to the women's victory even though we were all clearly happy about it. This also seems to be borne out by the references to how smaller the women's Gold Medal match thread was in comparison to the Men's Gold Cup matches threads.

To which I say...so what if most people here are more passionate about the men's game than the women? That would also be a ridiculous basis for attacking people on the basis of "sexism" (assuming that's what the claim is). Passion isn't something that can be controlled in equal measures just for the sake of appearing politically-correct. In addition to one's own personal journey in becoming a fan of either or both the men's & women's teams (I have been following the men's team since I was a young boy, whereas I started following the women a quarter of a century later so the men's team is always going to mean more to me on the basis of the sort of bonds, dreams and aspirations that one develops as a child - likewise they could make the best Star Wars movie of all time next year but it would never mean as much to me as the original film did which I saw at the same time I started to attend men's soccer matches), there are clear differences in the men's & women's games (no doubt I will now get accused of being sexist for saying that) that can give cause to people liking/being more passionate about one versus the other. If, for example, people find that the slower speed of play in the women's game is more exciting, that's good for them but you likely won't see me accusing that person of being misandrist for having that opinion or for being more passionate about the women's game than the men's.

That's not a facetious point by the way - growing up I much preferred men's tennis to women's as the personalities in the men's game were more interesting and the women's game seemed less exciting and interesting by comparison as there seemed to be tons of baseline rallies that would go on interminably. Over time, things have switched - I prefer the women's game now, the quality of play & excitement has improved, there's more personalities, while the men's tennis game has been boring for years IMO - all huge guys doing power serves and seemingly no rallies at all, no "little guys" like John McEnroe (who wasn't considered little at the time) doing incredible volley work at the net while accusing the umpires of pontificating (which is my favourite McEnroe on-court quote, even more than "You can't be serious!" or "Answer the Question, Jerk!"). So yes, the quality of play can have an effect on how excited or passionate one gets about sports.

What all this has to do with Alphonso Davies is beyond me, I only posted in this thread after being tagged in here, unfortunately I took the bait but not to "pile on" anyone, by the way, but a genuine attempt so that certain people can at least appreciate the perspectives of others without launching into erroneous, uncalled for and unprovoked personal attacks.

As an aside, we are, not pun intended, seemingly in a Golden Age right now for soccer in Canada. The men's team has never looked better (with certain men's players playing at an unprecedented club level) and clearly the women's team has never been more successful. Maybe its time to remember the opening lyrics to the best Styx album of all time "Light up, everybody! Join us in this celebration...."

That was out of line on my part, I had no basis to say it and I've removed it, apologies. As I say you are by far one of the best posters and participants on the board and I was just teed off by guys, you included, who never post on the women being unnecessarily negative after a Gold medal win. 

I should have just generalised: too many men celebrating losses as wins by the men and demeaning and minimising wins by the women, making them feel like losses.

But it was wrong because I don't know you well enough to qualify you personally like that, after sleeping on my post  I realised it was way off-- so I've eliminated it. Sorry.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@Kent@El Hombresaying I made a critical or crucial mistake, and insisting triumphantly on it days after, hammering away. Wouldn't you say your need to strut around on the board is at least as pathetic as mine? As I see it, since you want your posts to get more attention, don't be lemmings, stop cowering behind someone else's controversy, and risk an opinion for once, it's only a message board.

Only responding because I was specifically tagged, but:

1 - If anything, @Kent was actually defending you.  I was the one that said the whole thing was ludicrous.  So, lumping us together doesn't make sense.  But that's a minor point.

2 - Not so long ago, I had a hot take about Corbeanu that was roundly derided.  I responded to a couple people, but then decided that my opinion is not universal, took the "L" and moved on.  I did not double down (and then triple down) trying to legitimize my opinion and try to convince people that what they think is not actually what they think and make wild accusations tangential to the topic at hand.  That is the difference.  Your insistence on being "right" is what usually turns these things into boondoggles.

3 - Your basic premise that people around here hate the women's game because the Canada-Sweden thread isn't as long as some of the Gold Cup threads is flawed.  As someone who has single-handedly added 3 or 4 pages to game threads with nonsense for both the Gold Cup and WCQs, I decided to watch Canada-Sweden instead with my daughter.  One might even think I was more invested in that game as I didn't insist on acting the clown throughout it (plus, it was at 8am, the first beer doesn't get opened until 11:30am on workdays).  So the situation isn't as clear cut as you may think it is.

Concentrate more on how you feel and less about how you think others around here feel (and think and act and....).

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I didn't make it through your whole post. It seemed to be going off the rails. My notes below regarding this portion and ElHombre's mention of me in his response.

1. I was partially defending you as ElHombre mentioned, but it's true I was also partially getting digs in. It was days late because whenever there are a flurry of games, like the Gold Cup + Olympics, I get far behind. I watch the games and don't keep up with the game threads during them, but I often like to read the game threads afterwards, plus there tends to be a lot of posts in other threads around games while I am busy watching the games rather than reading this forum. I still haven't caught up.

2. I do give opinions sometimes, but it's usually more on things like Gold Cup hosting, and CONCACAF Champions League/CONCACAF League formats, rather than tactics, squad selections, etc. I've played the game for 35 years so I'm not completely clueless, but I'm not exactly a tactical genius.

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I had to look up “NFT”.  Obviously not aimed at the over 45 crowd.

No, but the same ones laughing at NFTs are the ones who were laughing at the crazy idea of a crypto currency a bunch of years ago (not lumping you in with this group).  

I don’t proclaim to be an expert, but anyone thinking this is all hocus pocus is probably missing a lot of info.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No, but the same ones laughing at NFTs are the ones who were laughing at the crazy idea of a crypto currency a bunch of years ago (not lumping you in with this group).  

I don’t proclaim to be an expert, but anyone thinking this is all hocus pocus is probably missing a lot of info.  

I think one of the emerging morals of this thread is that just because something is not for me (not quite in the over 45 crowd but it's coming quick) , does not mean it does not have value or at least it is not an automatic negative. 

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I had to look up “NFT”.  Obviously not aimed at the over 45 crowd.

I had to look up NFT, TIKK TOCK, No cap (insult??), sophistry and sexist slum.  I am quite sure if I ever met David he would smile, then pat me on the head like an old senile dog.  So I tend to stay quiet about that kind of young feller stuff and use my time productively.....yelling at clouds.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I had to look up NFT, TIKK TOCK, No cap (insult??), sophistry and sexist slum.  I am quite sure if I ever met David he would smile, then pat me on the head like an old senile dog.  So I tend to stay quiet about that kind of young feller stuff and use my time productively.....yelling at clouds.  

I'll meet your "yelling at clouds" and then raise you with my high waisted pants!