The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

5 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

As long as we advance from the Gold Cup group stage, we will most likely play 2, 3 or maybe even 4 games against our Octo opponents. This is excellent preparation for WCQ.

I'd be very interested if we played 4 matches after the group phase.

Unless you were counting the US group phase game in your total. ;)

For the past 3 days, I was wondering when the panic and recriminations would set in. Instead, people were going bonkers about not calling in a replacement player.

My initial reaction last week was this means Davies won't be ready to play a full 90 and/or not start for at least 1 WCQ match based on a 4 week timeline. 6 weeks pretty well seals that his WCQ minutes will need to be managed. 

He accounted for 50% of Canada's chances in June. So, Buchanan should suffice for Salvador but will need Davies for Honduras. US on the road is probably a time to rest him.

Edited by red card

• 3 weeks later...

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2021/08/davies-able-to-jog-again

"Good news! Alphonso Davies was able to start jogging again on Tuesday at the Säbener Straße training ground. The Canadian picked up an injury almost four weeks ago during preparation for the Gold Cup with Canada, suffering an LCL tear in his left ankle. The 20-year-old winger then completed his rehab in Munich. Welcome back, Phonzie!"

(It is a testimony to our growing program that I had to go to the 4th page for this thread?)

24 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Bayern have three league matches (Aug13, Aug22, Aug28) as well as the DFL Supercup final on Aug17. 

Hope Phonzie can get into 2 or 3 of those matches before WCQs.

Wow that's it eh? WCQ is truly right around the corner. Players just have the next few weeks to make their case for a call. 

Obviously Davies will be called, but just saying.

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wow that's it eh? WCQ is truly right around the corner. Players just have the next few weeks to make their case for a call. 

Obviously Davies will be called, but just saying.

It’s crazy, in a couple weeks or so we will be looking forward to the WCQ roster being announced. We truly have been blessed so far in 2021 for watching the lads play

38 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It looks like Davies has followed in Lewandowski's & Goretzka's footsteps with the Bayern weightlifting regime.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSHkaK_MOsz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That 2nd pic 😮

Hilarious too that Huitema posts on this "He's back!", two days before a gold medal match. 

3 hours ago, RS said:

Depends. Did you seriously find it hilarious?

In the sense of odd that you are two days from a gold medal match but have to comment on the BFs Instagram. When first, you tell him personally. And next, it is unnecessary, its superfluous, commenting along with 6000 other followers. 

Even Davies is off social media in the midst of serious competitions, he only appears in between, on off days. You'll rarely see him post the days before or of a match. I believe that is line with protocols many clubs are insisting on. Players, even those with massive accounts (Pique, Neymar), just look when they post. Selectively. Maybe after a major win. Not the days previous to a final, ever.

You can't be managing social media and focusing on your professional committments. Because it is not just a post, it is the followup, the hate and love.

Same reason why clubs don't let players talk to the press whenever they come calling: when the club says. Press complain about this all the time, especially the older journalists. "We used to have open access to players but not any more."

Still, it's a minor thing, she figures she's a sub and behaves like a sub. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the sense of odd that you are two days from a gold medal match but have to comment on the BFs Instagram. When first, you tell him personally. And next, it is unnecessary, its superfluous, commenting along with 6000 other followers. 

Even Davies is off social media in the midst of serious competitions, he only appears in between, on off days. You'll rarely see him post the days before or of a match. I believe that is line with protocols many clubs are insisting on. Players, even those with massive accounts (Pique, Neymar), just look when they post. Selectively. Maybe after a major win. Not the days previous to a final, ever.

You can't be managing social media and focusing on your professional committments. Because it is not just a post, it is the followup, the hate and love.

Same reason why clubs don't let players talk to the press whenever they come calling: when the club says. Press complain about this all the time, especially the older journalists. "We used to have open access to players but not any more."

Love your posts usually, more than many others on this board. But it's 2021. Managing your social media is a professional commitment. I think Huitema will have no problem fulfilling whatever 10 minute run-out she's likely to get in the Gold Medal final, despite all the emotional and physical energy she put into that instagram comment.

(It wouldn't be any different if she was a starter).

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies posts constantly on Game Days. He does an Instagram story from the locker room regularly. 
athletes posting on game day is a non issue - it’s totally ubiquitous at this point.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is such pearl clutching, Jesus Christ...

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Davies posts constantly on Game Days. He does an Instagram story from the locker room regularly. 
athletes posting on game day is a non issue - it’s totally ubiquitous at this point.

When was the last time Davies did a post of himself on Instagram or TikTok before a match, on game day, or even the day before? From the locker room you say? Cite one.

There is one case where he posts before a match in the entire last year on Instagram, March 29. Who were we playing that day?

In any case, the vast majority of his posts on Instagram are not done by him, obviously. And the vast majority of his TikTok posts are not posted by him, he may conceive them himself but they are edited and prepared for publication by "help" and then posted later. 

He's a lot more professional than you are giving him credit for, which I appreciate. You are a pro, stay focused on the goals. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When was the last time Davies did a post of himself on Instagram or TikTok before a match, on game day, or even the day before? From the locker room you say? Cite one.

There is one case where he posts before a match in the entire last year on Instagram, March 29. Who were we playing that day?

In any case, the vast majority of his posts on Instagram are not done by him, obviously. And the vast majority of his TikTok posts are not posted by him, he may conceive them himself but they are edited and prepared for publication by "help" and then posted later. 

He's a lot more professional than you are giving him credit for, which I appreciate. You are a pro, stay focused on the goals. 

Lol..you’re missing the Story posts where most of these come through. 

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you're looking a little too deep into this...

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Love your posts usually, more than many others on this board. But it's 2021. Managing your social media is a professional commitment. I think Huitema will have no problem fulfilling whatever 10 minute run-out she's likely to get in the Gold Medal final, despite all the emotional and physical energy she put into that instagram comment.

(It wouldn't be any different if she was a starter).

As I posted above, if you look at the pros, even social media is handled professionally and, in the majority of cases, by a pro. It's 2021, professional athletes are not only encouraged to measure and control when and how they post, but most are subject to strict club protocols. And then most of what they do is filtered by a social media manager. 

Show me how many of the WNT are posting on other accounts, even fellow Olympic athletes, two days before a gold medal match. Look at Beckie's last post: that is how it should be, that is the mentality. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSIeOO7luKw/

BTW, I am regularly posting on the Women's threads that I think that Huitema deserves more minutes and Beckie gets gifted more than she deserves, have been posting this for the last 2-3 months in fact. Folks were slagging Jordyn after last match and I defended her. I just disagree with what professionality is supposed to be. 

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I posted above, if you look at the pros, even social media is handled professionally and, in the majority of cases, by a pro. It's 2021, professional athletes are not only encouraged to measure and control when and how they post, but most are subject to strict club protocols. And then most of what they do is filtered by a social media manager. 

Show me how many of the WNT are posting on other accounts, even fellow Olympic athletes, two days before a gold medal match. Look at Beckie's last post: that is how it should be, that is the mentality. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSIeOO7luKw/

BTW, I am regularly posting on the Women's threads that I think that Huitema deserves more minutes and Beckie gets gifted more than she deserves, have been posting this for the last 2-3 months in fact. Folks were slagging Jordyn after last match and I defended her. I just disagree with what professionality is supposed to be. 

dude cut the crap. What do you think they are doing this whole time? just sitting in their rooms with 0 entertainment just constantly thinking about the game 24/7? That tweet took 5 seconds to do, and hate to burst your bubble but im gonna take a wild guess that the other players used twitter and instagram as well posting or not, is that ok with you? Oh here's Gilles posting a pic of the girls just having some fun the other day, is this professional? https://www.instagram.com/p/CSGfW_ar7mo/ Some people think these athleets are freaking robots lol, get a grip they are allowed to have a life outside of the sport.