Jump to content

The Importance of Alphonso Davies


jpg75
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was coming back from the Sunshine Coast today, on the ferry for those who don't know that takes you back to Vancouver, and a kid, maybe 8-9 years old was there with his mom, they'd just picked him up from a summer camp it seems. He was wearing a Whitecaps cap, and they were playing a game, naming things starting with a letter of the alphabet. 

So he gets to "E" and he says "Elphonso Davies", and his mom laughs and corrects him, "that starts with an A" and of course it was a joke. 

Then it occured to me that he could have been at Camp Elphinstone up in Gibson's, so it is a pretty good word play. 

I have never in my life heard a kid make a reference like that about a Canadian player, or even an MLS player. It is totally exceptional for Canadian soccer.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well hopefully he leads our guys to a world cuo birth in 2022, showing the world that we are good enough to qualifying without an automatic birth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was coming back from the Sunshine Coast today, on the ferry for those who don't know that takes you back to Vancouver, and a kid, maybe 8-9 years old was there with his mom, they'd just picked him up from a summer camp it seems. He was wearing a Whitecaps cap, and they were playing a game, naming things starting with a letter of the alphabet. 

So he gets to "E" and he says "Elphonso Davies", and his mom laughs and corrects him, "that starts with an A" and of course it was a joke. 

Then it occured to me that he could have been at Camp Elphinstone up in Gibson's, so it is a pretty good word play. 

I have never in my life heard a kid make a reference like that about a Canadian player, or even an MLS player. It is totally exceptional for Canadian soccer.

Cap tie that kid!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, admin said:

For a second time.

I was talking about in recent times. India qualified too, but they aren’t qualifying anytime soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

I was talking about in recent times. India qualified too, but they aren’t qualifying anytime soon

I know you know.... but the  'comment section' doesn't....  it's a point we do need to make because it does matter. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

They qualified by default because all the teams in their group withdrew. Then they withdrew from participating in the Cup finals. What a shit show. That was in 1950.

okok I could have got a better example it was just at the top of my head

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

They qualified by default because all the teams in their group withdrew. Then they withdrew from participating in the Cup finals. What a shit show. That was in 1950.

Guys, guys, stop hijacking this thread ... it's about Alphonso Davies.  Let's get it back on track ... who else is this kid eligible for?  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was coming back from the Sunshine Coast today, on the ferry for those who don't know that takes you back to Vancouver, and a kid, maybe 8-9 years old was there with his mom, they'd just picked him up from a summer camp it seems. He was wearing a Whitecaps cap, and they were playing a game, naming things starting with a letter of the alphabet. 

So he gets to "E" and he says "Elphonso Davies", and his mom laughs and corrects him, "that starts with an A" and of course it was a joke. 

Then it occured to me that he could have been at Camp Elphinstone up in Gibson's, so it is a pretty good word play. 

I have never in my life heard a kid make a reference like that about a Canadian player, or even an MLS player. It is totally exceptional for Canadian soccer.

that is pure awesome! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listening to the discussion about AD on the CCL final, and they are talking about his speed.  I know Bayern will help him work on all aspects of his game, but the kind of focussed training on speed that they are talking about is something I think a bigger club will be better able to nurture.  If he is running at Mbappe speeds already, a really high end, professional training program should extract every bit of speed he is capable of.  I,proving his technique and other aspects will also be essential, but with his natural athleticism it will be great if Bayern can really maximize his pace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whitecaps posted a video of a pretty awkward media scrum with Toronto media. One person seemed convinced he's from Toronto lol. Davies handled it like a champ. Now i know why Robbo shielded him from the media wow. I think he plays tonight, Robbo playing mind games

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Whitecaps posted a video of a pretty awkward media scrum with Toronto media. One person seemed convinced he's from Toronto lol. Davies handled it like a champ. Now i know why Robbo shielded him from the media wow. I think he plays tonight, Robbo playing mind games

Is this the interview you mean?

Was the comment you mention the 'have lots of friends and family here' remark?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Didn't his family spent a year in the GTA when they came over to Canada?

Also I took the bait... He's starting tonight.

You think? Robbo doesn't usually play games like that. He tends to be a straight shooter.  Mind you there was something in the way he answered the question that seemed a bit false. We'll now in twenty seconds!  Let's go Caps.  Let's crush those pansy sixers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a great night for AD.  Aside from one decent strike that went just wide, he was pretty ineffective.  Not sure if it is a confidence thing with him, but he does seem to have games where he is pretty quiet.  Picked an unfortunate game to have one of those performances tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not a great night for AD.  Aside from one decent strike that went just wide, he was pretty ineffective.  Not sure if it is a confidence thing with him, but he does seem to have games where he is pretty quiet.  Picked an unfortunate game to have one of those performances tonight.

He's still hurt. I wish Robinson would not have risked him in this game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...