The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I was coming back from the Sunshine Coast today, on the ferry for those who don't know that takes you back to Vancouver, and a kid, maybe 8-9 years old was there with his mom, they'd just picked him up from a summer camp it seems. He was wearing a Whitecaps cap, and they were playing a game, naming things starting with a letter of the alphabet. 

So he gets to "E" and he says "Elphonso Davies", and his mom laughs and corrects him, "that starts with an A" and of course it was a joke. 

Then it occured to me that he could have been at Camp Elphinstone up in Gibson's, so it is a pretty good word play. 

I have never in my life heard a kid make a reference like that about a Canadian player, or even an MLS player. It is totally exceptional for Canadian soccer.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Well hopefully he leads our guys to a world cuo birth in 2022, showing the world that we are good enough to qualifying without an automatic birth

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was coming back from the Sunshine Coast today, on the ferry for those who don't know that takes you back to Vancouver, and a kid, maybe 8-9 years old was there with his mom, they'd just picked him up from a summer camp it seems. He was wearing a Whitecaps cap, and they were playing a game, naming things starting with a letter of the alphabet. 

So he gets to "E" and he says "Elphonso Davies", and his mom laughs and corrects him, "that starts with an A" and of course it was a joke. 

Then it occured to me that he could have been at Camp Elphinstone up in Gibson's, so it is a pretty good word play. 

I have never in my life heard a kid make a reference like that about a Canadian player, or even an MLS player. It is totally exceptional for Canadian soccer.

Cap tie that kid!

3 hours ago, admin said:

For a second time.

I was talking about in recent times. India qualified too, but they aren’t qualifying anytime soon

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

I was talking about in recent times. India qualified too, but they aren’t qualifying anytime soon

I know you know.... but the  'comment section' doesn't....  it's a point we do need to make because it does matter. 

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

They qualified by default because all the teams in their group withdrew. Then they withdrew from participating in the Cup finals. What a shit show. That was in 1950.

okok I could have got a better example it was just at the top of my head

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

They qualified by default because all the teams in their group withdrew. Then they withdrew from participating in the Cup finals. What a shit show. That was in 1950.

Guys, guys, stop hijacking this thread ... it's about Alphonso Davies.  Let's get it back on track ... who else is this kid eligible for?  ;)

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

that is pure awesome! 

Listening to the discussion about AD on the CCL final, and they are talking about his speed.  I know Bayern will help him work on all aspects of his game, but the kind of focussed training on speed that they are talking about is something I think a bigger club will be better able to nurture.  If he is running at Mbappe speeds already, a really high end, professional training program should extract every bit of speed he is capable of.  I,proving his technique and other aspects will also be essential, but with his natural athleticism it will be great if Bayern can really maximize his pace.

Whitecaps posted a video of a pretty awkward media scrum with Toronto media. One person seemed convinced he's from Toronto lol. Davies handled it like a champ. Now i know why Robbo shielded him from the media wow. I think he plays tonight, Robbo playing mind games

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Whitecaps posted a video of a pretty awkward media scrum with Toronto media. One person seemed convinced he's from Toronto lol. Davies handled it like a champ. Now i know why Robbo shielded him from the media wow. I think he plays tonight, Robbo playing mind games

Is this the interview you mean?

Was the comment you mention the 'have lots of friends and family here' remark?

28 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Didn't his family spent a year in the GTA when they came over to Canada?

Also I took the bait... He's starting tonight.

You think? Robbo doesn't usually play games like that. He tends to be a straight shooter.  Mind you there was something in the way he answered the question that seemed a bit false. We'll now in twenty seconds!  Let's go Caps.  Let's crush those pansy sixers!

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not a great night for AD.  Aside from one decent strike that went just wide, he was pretty ineffective.  Not sure if it is a confidence thing with him, but he does seem to have games where he is pretty quiet.  Picked an unfortunate game to have one of those performances tonight.

He's still hurt. I wish Robinson would not have risked him in this game.