The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the sense of odd that you are two days from a gold medal match but have to comment on the BFs Instagram. When first, you tell him personally. And next, it is unnecessary, its superfluous, commenting along with 6000 other followers. 

Even Davies is off social media in the midst of serious competitions, he only appears in between, on off days. You'll rarely see him post the days before or of a match. I believe that is line with protocols many clubs are insisting on. Players, even those with massive accounts (Pique, Neymar), just look when they post. Selectively. Maybe after a major win. Not the days previous to a final, ever.

You can't be managing social media and focusing on your professional committments. Because it is not just a post, it is the followup, the hate and love.

Same reason why clubs don't let players talk to the press whenever they come calling: when the club says. Press complain about this all the time, especially the older journalists. "We used to have open access to players but not any more."

Still, it's a minor thing, she figures she's a sub and behaves like a sub. 

200.gif

I jest.  Sort of.  I am a Gen X’er so pretty close to the boomer cut off.  But this post is so very dating.  

Young people live on social media - and Phonzie and Huitema are hardcore.  Taking a few minutes to post on a Davies’ story does nothing whatsoever to detract from her focus.  No athlete in the world does absolutely nothing but their sport with no mental down-time.  Any sports psychologist worth their wage will tell you that athletes need to shut off occasionally.   Hell, de Grasse just won gold and has been Face-timing with his family every day.  

Guys guys, the game is in 2 days! What the fuck is wrong with her? She should be training till your toes fall off! When she eats, it must be finished in under 10 minutes. She's losing valuable training time. And when she puts in her 12 hour training session and losing 30 pounds in the process, she needs to go back to her hotel room and listen to her soccer meditation tapes. "be the soccer ball, be one with the soccer ball"

And when she sleeps, so help me GOD if she isn't dreaming of soccer strategies she's a loss cause.

51 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Or Davies live walking around Chicago with Liam and Theo, or hell, their escapades at golf. 

Fuck me, why is this a topic?

It’s not.  We are all just going through withdrawals after getting used to such frequent games to watch.  After the girls win gold tomorrow night and we have to wait until September for another meaningful game, you will see the real chaos begin. 

I think the days of trying to require athletes to focus 100% on the job 24/7 are done.  Any sports physiologist will tell you that is counterproductive as it has the opposite effect. It’s mentally draining which leads to errors. You need to remain lose and light leading up to matches and even on game day.  You don’t need to be obsessing every minute of the day on your role.  You spend the requisite time focused on that and then the rest of the time you remain lose and light and distracted. Otherwise, you work yourselves up into a bundle of nerves. 

I always remember when I played comepticely the guys who insisted on focusing all day in the lead up to a match. And wanted no music in the dressing room and everyone to be quiet and just focused. 9 times out of 10 these were the guys that panicked during the match and caused us to lose.  They were just too tightly wound.  

Edited by An Observer

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

200.gif

I jest.  Sort of.  I am a Gen X’er so pretty close to the boomer cut off.  But this post is so very dating.  

Young people live on social media - and Phonzie and Huitema are hardcore.  Taking a few minutes to post on a Davies’ story does nothing whatsoever to detract from her focus.  No athlete in the world does absolutely nothing but their sport with no mental down-time.  Any sports psychologist worth their wage will tell you that athletes need to shut off occasionally.   Hell, de Grasse just won gold and has been Face-timing with his family every day.  

Glad you say you are jesting. The people who came up with OK Boomer are now pushing 40. If you are using it still in 2021 you are dating yourself. It is almost as bad as folks like me saying a player should be focused before a major match, but let her post, let her post, I will never ask for a player to be 100% focused before a match ever again. 

Davies has not said a word about the women BTW, he's focused on healing his injury and doing promos for his sponsors.

6 hours ago, RS said:

Tell me you don't know how social media works without telling me you don't know how social media works.

You still have not backed the statement that he is doing locker room posts constantly. He has not done one before a match, at all, in the last year. 

You think he posts himself, right? And you are saying I don't know how social media works. Well I am no expert, obviously, far from it. But you can't just lie about the facts: he does not control his own accounts, every post is produced, content is filtered and professionals control the postings.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Glad you say you are jesting. The people who came up with OK Boomer are now pushing 40. If you are using it still in 2021 you are dating yourself. It is almost as bad as folks like me saying a player should be focused before a major match, but let her post, let her post, I will never ask for a player to be 100% focused before a match ever again. 

Davies has not said a word about the women BTW, he's focused on healing his injury and doing promos for his sponsors.

He 100% had a couple of IG stories the other day from the Bayern training ground where he was watching the semi-final. One was a pic of his laptop as he watched Jordyn subbing on and it was strewn with heart-eyes emojis. The other was a video of the end of the game on a bigger screen and Thomas Mueller was shouting "Ca-na-da" in the background. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

He 100% had a couple of IG stories the other day from the Bayern training ground where he was watching the semi-final. One was a pic of his laptop as he watched Jordyn subbing on and it was strewn with heart-eyes emojis. The other was a video of the end of the game on a bigger screen and Thomas Mueller was shouting "Ca-na-da" in the background. 

Could you link one or all of these IG stories, I must be a dolt.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could you link one or all of these IG stories, I must be a dolt.

Unlike standard IG posts, which remain visible on your profile so long as you don't delete them, IG stories are only visible for a day, or so, after which they disappear. Alphonso's current stories are of him training outside for the first time since his injury. The ones that I referenced above have expired. To view the stories, you click on the circular profile pic at the top of his profile. It'll have a coloured outline around the picture if their are stories that you haven't viewed and haven't yet expired.

https://www.instagram.com/alphonsodavies/?hl=en

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You still have not backed the statement that he is doing locker room posts constantly. He has not done one before a match, at all, in the last year. 

You think he posts himself, right? And you are saying I don't know how social media works. Well I am no expert, obviously, far from it. But you can't just lie about the facts: he does not control his own accounts, every post is produced, content is filtered and professionals control the postings.

AD posts some of planned content, to his Insta and his Insta stories, but I would say 90%+ is his and not that of a social media team. He posts a lot of first person shots of him watching Jordyn on his laptop, watching other games or playing vids at home or out with friends. It's possible someone is shooting first person vids for him but it's highly unlikely as they would be with him constantly, and a lot of it is pretty mundane.

The recent Bayern training stuff and the NFT stuff is obviously planned content but that's all I can think of for the last few weeks.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It wasn't my statement, so why should I back it? 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He obviously has some help with certain posts, but it's also obvious to anyone who knows what they're talking about that he does the vast majority of his Instagram Stories* himself.

Next time you want to accuse me of lying, first take a second to educate yourself on the topic at hand.

* these are Instagram's rip-off of Snapchat, which effectively killed the latter platform

15 minutes ago, RS said:

It wasn't my statement, so why should I back it? 

He obviously has some help with certain posts, but it's also obvious to anyone who knows what they're talking about that he does the vast majority of his Instagram Stories* himself.

Next time you want to accuse me of lying, first take a second to educate yourself on the topic at hand.

* these are Instagram's rip-off of Snapchat, which effectively killed the latter platform

It was my statement - Phonzie has posted numerous "Game Day" stories from the locker room where he posts a video of his jersey hanging up in his locker. A ton of players do the same thing. Again, these would all be as stories