The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Good Afternoon Gentlemen and Gentlewomen.

Phonzie gets the nod at LB again today, Kickoff at 12:30 ADT vs Köln.

Coman out with injury so Sane in, and Nianzou is in the back line with Upa and Sule. Interesting to see how this new combination does given all three of those defenders are traditionally centre halves and they have listed Sule as the RB. 

For Phonzie, my guess is he will have to play a little more conservative as to not overcompensate for the likely underwhelming offensive output from his full back counterpart. Expect a high scoring game from Bayern nonetheless coming off their impressive cup win.

7 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Good Afternoon Gentlemen and Gentlewomen.

Phonzie gets the nod at LB again today, Kickoff at 12:30 ADT vs Köln.

Coman out with injury so Sane in, and Nianzou is in the back line with Upa and Sule. Interesting to see how this new combination does given all three of those defenders are traditionally centre halves and they have listed Sule as the RB. 

For Phonzie, my guess is he will have to play a little more conservative as to not overcompensate for the likely underwhelming offensive output from his full back counterpart. Expect a high scoring game from Bayern nonetheless coming off their impressive cup win.

Long overdue that we all start recognizing the Atlantic time zone as the most important one.  👍🏼

Flick seemed to want Davies to pick his moments in pushing forward, which was good as it made Davies more aware of the game state and more conservative with his energy, but Nagelsmann seems to just want him to be pushed up all the time, which I'm down for.

With Musiala doing his thing in the 2nd half, Davies didn’t have much impact on the offence, but still solid in any build up play.
He was partly at fault for the 2nd goal as he didn’t do enough to prevent the cross - needs to stay ‘turned on’ a little more… but maybe a bit tired as was noted in a previous comment.

10 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

With Musiala doing his thing in the 2nd half, Davies didn’t have much impact on the offence, but still solid in any build up play.
He was partly at fault for the 2nd goal as he didn’t do enough to prevent the cross - needs to stay ‘turned on’ a little more… but maybe a bit tired as was noted in a previous comment.

He's playing so far forward under Nagelsmann - especially in the 1st half, he was further forward than Gnabry most of the time, high pressing, etc. and then having to run all the way back.  That's tough to do even on young legs...

Davies on the bench for their DFB-Pokal game tonight. (Probably for the best)

If you still want to watch it, it is on the German Football Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxF8FI6ejY

Edit: I had to use a Canadian vpn so should be good for most of you. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Davies on the bench for their DFB-Pokal game tonight. (Probably for the best)

If you still want to watch it, it is on the German Football Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxF8FI6ejY

Edit: I had to use a Canadian vpn so should be good for most of you. 

7 nil just into the second half. Good grief.

On the Portuguese feed I'm watching the announcer keeps repeating the score...he sounds mind-blown. 🤣

Edited by PegCityCam

50 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

7 nil just into the second half. Good grief.

On the Portuguese feed I'm watching the announcer keeps repeating the score...he sounds mind-blown. 🤣

Ends 0-12.  I guess they didn't really need him that much.  The American Taylor Booth even got a run out along with Chris Richards.  

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Champions League Group E 

Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kyiv

You always expect Bayern to advance this is a middle of the road group I would say. 

Yes that draw is pretty favourable - nothing very threatening about that group.  I also think David and even Hutch/Larin have a chance.  But sadly, I don't think Tajon will get to see that UCL action he was hoping for...

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, maybe Barca could keep the scoreline to 4-1 rather than 8-2 this time around.  That would really show Bayern.

We could win the group. If you have watched CL at all you realise outlying results don't ever set the trend.

Both Benfica and Dynamo could take points off either. There was a moment there we could have gotten Besiktas too, would have been great. Sad Lille is going to Seville, too far away for me to travel. 

Barça has to transition post Messi, but Depay, Griezmann, Ansu Fati, Braithwaite and Kun is not a slouch attack.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just because you are linked with the team at the top of the Premier League, it doesn't automatically mean you are a decent striker.  

No, he's a decent striker for sure. He'd probably score 10-12 in the EPL. He gives Barça a target and some fight, he was signed in an emergency when Suarez was injured. But no question he is not really at the level of any top club in football. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, he's a decent striker for sure. He'd probably score 10-12 in the EPL. He gives Barça a target and some fight, he was signed in an emergency when Suarez was injured. But no question he is not really at the level of any top club in football. 

It was just an excuse for a self serving joke, but seriously please keep him. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Half missed it.... Maybe because I didn't hear the transfer rumors. 

He's the only player we have who can barge to the near post to flick a cross or out muscle a defender in the box. 

Let’s remember how he got to Barca… pretty sure they (Barca) planted those transfer rumours as his agent indicated.

At least Barca has Depay and De Jong

Edited by TOcanadafan

57 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Let’s remember how he got to Barca… pretty sure they (Barca) planted those transfer rumours as his agent indicated.

At least Barca has Depay and De Jong

I watched that Bayern-Barça in Library Square in Vancouver with a few guys on here and plenty more, Barça and Bayern fans, but almost all Davies fans. Of course the move on Semedo was out of this world but it was also a terrible piece of coaching, because Semedo is a good player. And we'd just gotten one back, it was 4-2 start of the 2nd half and Davies broke our backs. But what I am saying. Even that match, it was 4-2 with half an hour left and we definitely could have pulled it closer or fought for the draw. 

But it was Davies, and Kimmich doing that incredible run to support him. But also Barça being atrociously coached and not handling things they way we normally know how to do. We lost 8-2 and had more possession, but it should have been 4-3 or 5-4 and even more possession for Barça

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched that Bayern-Barça in Library Square in Vancouver with a few guys on here and plenty more, Barça and Bayern fans, but almost all Davies fans. Of course the move on Semedo was out of this world but it was also a terrible piece of coaching, because Semedo is a good player. And we'd just gotten one back, it was 4-2 start of the 2nd half and Davies broke our backs. But what I am saying. Even that match, it was 4-2 with half an hour left and we definitely could have pulled it closer or fought for the draw. 

But it was Davies, and Kimmich doing that incredible run to support him. But also Barça being atrociously coached and not handling things they way we normally know how to do. We lost 8-2 and had more possession, but it should have been 4-3 or 5-4 and even more possession for Barça

4-3 really?  🤨  I will say Barca's relentlessly comical approach to playing out of Bayern's press was certainly a huge contributor to the ocho-dos.  As was Davies first-class-ticket-to-Wolverhampton gift to Semedo.   But I will also agree that Barca is much better post-Messi than people think.  I would only be mildly shocked if they won the group.

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

4-3 really?  🤨  I will say Barca's relentlessly comical approach to playing out of Bayern's press was certainly a huge contributor to the ocho-dos.  As was Davies first-class-ticket-to-Wolverhampton gift to Semedo.   But I will also agree that Barca is much better post-Messi than people think.  I would only be mildly shocked if they won the group.

Another thing: in a home and away that does not happen, it was the worst result in the history of the club in Europe. We have screwed up notoriously in knockout rounds, and really stupidly, and with Messi on the pitch, but not with that kind of result.

I'd be surprised if Bayern got a result at Camp Nou this fall.