The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

after sleeping on my post  I realised it was way off-- so I've eliminated it. Sorry.

And so, after a difficult portage, and a long arduous journey behind us, the Voyageur canoe paddles on, in calmer waters, towards the rapids to come.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

59 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

And so, after a difficult portage, and a long arduous journey behind us, the Voyageur canoe paddles on, in calmer waters, towards the rapids to come.

Lovely final sentence--lyrical, sense of closure, but with the promise of more to come--to this saga. Nicely done! I am both a writer and a book publisher: I appreciate this, and the implicit irony.

This morning, I was listening to The Anfield Wrap's Pro View podcast with former Liverpool, Blackburn, and Aston Villa full-back, Stephen Warnock. He was talking about the changes in fitness and sports science in the time since he was breaking through until today. In one comment, he singled out both Trent Alexander-Arnold and Alphonso Davies for the way they've bulked up over this off-season and suggested that it's a sign of greater commitment at younger ages for players who are eyeing longer careers at the very top of the game. His point was around the way that players today turn up on the first day of pre-season in prime shape compared to how 15 or 20 years ago players would use pre-season to regain fitness after an indulgent off-season.

Anyways, I still find it interesting hearing people unconnected to Canadian football talking about the Phonz as an elite player on the world stage. 

27 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

This morning, I was listening to The Anfield Wrap's Pro View podcast with former Liverpool, Blackburn, and Aston Villa full-back, Stephen Warnock. He was talking about the changes in fitness and sports science in the time since he was breaking through until today. In one comment, he singled out both Trent Alexander-Arnold and Alphonso Davies for the way they've bulked up over this off-season and suggested that it's a sign of greater commitment at younger ages for players who are eyeing longer careers at the very top of the game. His point was around the way that players today turn up on the first day of pre-season in prime shape compared to how 15 or 20 years ago players would use pre-season to regain fitness after an indulgent off-season.

Anyways, I still find it interesting hearing people unconnected to Canadian football talking about the Phonz as an elite player on the world stage. 

Agreed, though there are always glaring cases in preseason that you can see. 

"Bulk" really means that you do work on your joints and articulations, both strength and flexibility. Especially to prevent injury. Sure, it can include arms and for a wing player upper body is important too. A lot of the abbs and pecs part is, however, just style, a esthetic, or inertia: you get on a training program and after a year it starts to come into place. 

I find Adama to be just silly. 

Look at Asensio after scoring for Spain in Olympic semis, shirt off, amazing torso. But he doesn't do anything with it. 

Phonzy has the start, however, I can't lie and say I am not disappointed with what looks to be a back four set up. It appears Nagelsmann has decided not to switch things up from last year and has gone with a similar formation 4-2-3-1. 

First game with a relatively whole squad back so obviously there will be some growing pains and maybe this is to ease into a new manager and new tactics but I was really looking forward to seeing Phonzy play a more attacking/advanced role. Looks like we will have to wait for September to see a more attacking Phonzy again. 

After a slow start, Davies grew into the game.  The first 20 minutes were rough for him defensively as he was twice beaten by his opponent in what should have been goals. It was his giveaway that lead to the first goal for Gladbach.

As mentioned, grew into the game and was quite good going forward and could have had a couple assists including a fantastic pass to Lewandowski that he scores 9 times out of 10.  Fantastic save.

Edited by Corazon

On 8/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed, though there are always glaring cases in preseason that you can see. 

"Bulk" really means that you do work on your joints and articulations, both strength and flexibility. Especially to prevent injury. Sure, it can include arms and for a wing player upper body is important too. A lot of the abbs and pecs part is, however, just style, a esthetic, or inertia: you get on a training program and after a year it starts to come into place. 

I find Adama to be just silly. 

Look at Asensio after scoring for Spain in Olympic semis, shirt off, amazing torso. But he doesn't do anything with it. 

Not sure how “bulk” means doing work on joints and articulations. Unless there’s some weird translation going on or something. I disagree about abs being just for show too. Your core strength is unbelievably important in any sport for balance and stability.

I agree on Adama though, he went a bit overboard with the muscles. Being lean and muscular seems more beneficial for a soccer player than being so thick and bulky.

Edited by archer21

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Davies is having a nightmare start to this game.  Twice he was beaten by his opponent in what should have been goals converted but weren't.  Then it was his giveaway that lead to the first goal for Gladbach.

Hopefully shaking off the rust.

Set up Gnabry with a great cross shortly after the goal and just played a wonder ball into Lewandowski that should've been converted.

Up and down.

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

Davies delivered a ball on a platter to Lewandowski but hit it right at the keeper. 

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Set up Gnabry with a great cross shortly after the goal and just played a wonder ball into Lewandowski that should've been converted.

Up and down.

Just updated my original post to include the great pass he had as well.

Up and down as in up going forward and down in defending 😂

Clocked as the fastest player on the pitch again and seems fully healed. No preseason to speak of, just recently started training. Only up from here.

He has had some misplaced passes as well which seems like rust. Also seems to be jogging back on defence this second half. Going with full 95 mins though so looks good for qualifying. 

Goal app has him finishing at 8.2, good for 3rd highest on Bayern behind Kimmich (9.0) and Lewandowski (9.2). Sane the lowest at 3.6

For those interested, Scally (4.2) was tied for fifth lowest on Monchengladbach, behind Elvedi (4.0), Stindl (3.7), Kramer (3.5), and Wolf (3.1).

Edited by Obinna

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@OhCanadaOhBaby

Best Moniker on the entire forum, btw!

Thank you kindly. After stalking the forum as a guest for a while before joining, I thought it would help solidify my claim to the future "The Importance of Gareth Wheeler's Commentary" topic section when people soon realize his greatness😂.  @El Hombre has first dibs though.

22 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Thank you kindly. After stalking the forum as a guest for a while before joining, I thought it would help solidify my claim to the future "The Importance of Gareth Wheeler's Commentary" topic section when people soon realize his greatness😂.  @El Hombre has first dibs though.

...and the Cult of Wheels continues to grow.