The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Watching other things but my guess would be he probably has the wing to his lonesome from that setup.

Really strange set up they have. Haven’t had a chance to watch either so unsure what that formation looks like- I would’ve figured a meaningless match against a bad team would be a great opportunity to play Davies on the wing, but this way they get to start Tel who I think is their real priority. 

The second I hit post, Tel scores. What a talent.

Edited by InglewoodJack

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Really strange set up they have. Haven’t had a chance to watch either so unsure what that formation looks like- I would’ve figured a meaningless match against a bad team would be a great opportunity to play Davies on the wing, but this way they get to start Tel who I think is their real priority. 

The second I hit post, Tel scores. What a talent.

Davies played LB, with Choupo-Moting at LW.  Apart from the goal, Tel was actually pretty poor at RW - constant over-dribbling and giveaways - to be expected from a young player, but he really needs to develop his vision and positional awareness.

Davies was given a lot of freedom to overlap with Choupo-Moting, as well as cut inside Goretzka at LM.  Overall he played well, even had a couple nice defensive interventions.

Zaragoza was brought on at LW in place of EMCM at 70' and was not very impressive.  I mean he tried hard (too hard), but at this level you can't expect to beat your man 1 v 1 every time, and you shouldn't even try.  You need to change it up, stop the play, cut it back, make simple passes - all those things set the defender up for when you actually do want to blow by him or meg him or whatever.  I get that he has limited minutes and wants to show what he can do, but it backfires when you end up getting dispossessed on every play.  Anyhow, not sure why I'm writing so much about Bryan Zaragoza, but I guess I'm bored?...

16 hours ago, GasPed said:

Davies played LB, with Choupo-Moting at LW.  Apart from the goal, Tel was actually pretty poor at RW - constant over-dribbling and giveaways - to be expected from a young player, but he really needs to develop his vision and positional awareness.

Davies was given a lot of freedom to overlap with Choupo-Moting, as well as cut inside Goretzka at LM.  Overall he played well, even had a couple nice defensive interventions.

Zaragoza was brought on at LW in place of EMCM at 70' and was not very impressive.  I mean he tried hard (too hard), but at this level you can't expect to beat your man 1 v 1 every time, and you shouldn't even try.  You need to change it up, stop the play, cut it back, make simple passes - all those things set the defender up for when you actually do want to blow by him or meg him or whatever.  I get that he has limited minutes and wants to show what he can do, but it backfires when you end up getting dispossessed on every play.  Anyhow, not sure why I'm writing so much about Bryan Zaragoza, but I guess I'm bored?...

They've placed inordinate demands on Zaragoza when they should have worked him into the team properly. I mean, he was leading la Liga in dribbles, was one of the most fouled players as well. 

He's also never left his hometown and is culturally unprepared, which is on him.

The reality is that he hasn't been killing it with Bayern lately.  There is a possibility they are at least slowing down the pursuit a bit - and I think that was always a bit of a risk if he let himself get distracted by the planned move.  

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

General rule is the transfer isn't official until you see a photo of the player holding/wearing the new jersey.

As we have found with JD, there is not always fire where there is smoke.  

As mentioned in the Canadians abroad thread, Davies starting from the bench against Frankfurt. I wanted to respond to @Gian-Luca but doing so here as to not clutter the other thread. 

Anyway, my initial thought was that he's being punished for stalling on the contract. Nothing really to play for in the league, so proper time to send a message. And I suppose if Davies is ruling himself out of Bayern's long term plans, may as well prepare someone else to play there by giving him reps. 

Another interpretation could be that he is being rested and will play where Guerrerio or Muller are playing, left or right winger essentially. Not watching the game, just looking at the line up, so not sure how it's actually looking, but yeah Guerrerio and Muller are flanking Choupo-Moting, with Kane in front of them. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I imagine that he was being benched with the game against Madrid this week in mind, or at least hopefully. 

The president of Bayern came out and said that Tuchel doesn’t think he can improve players like Davies, so prefers to go out and buy a replacement:
https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1784213674552381764?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Very difficult to know where players sit with Tuchel - one day, they're the best thing ever, and the next day they're stapled to the bench.  In the case of Davies, he was definitely the starter for the first Arsenal game, but had to sit for the second one because of yellows, and Mazraoui deputized.  But the word (mainly fan chatter) is that Mazraoui did such a great job, he's now the starter.  Sad thing is I wouldn't put it past Tuchel to do that.

The report saying that he isn’t starting points to Madrid “reinvigorating their interest” in him if he plays well, so they want to bench him. I doubt one good game would change their interest just like a good run of form from Mendy would ruin their interest, so I dunno. I did read he’s only started 4 of the last 10, so wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t starting. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

The report saying that he isn’t starting points to Madrid “reinvigorating their interest” in him if he plays well, so they want to bench him. I doubt one good game would change their interest just like a good run of form from Mendy would ruin their interest, so I dunno. I did read he’s only started 4 of the last 10, so wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t starting. 

That would be such a small club mentality if true. Play the players that give you the best chance to win, don’t worry about how it’ll change another team’s opinion of one guy

7 minutes ago, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

That would be such a small club mentality if true. Play the players that give you the best chance to win, don’t worry about how it’ll change another team’s opinion of one guy

Yes, I agree. What I was implying is that the “rumour” is they’re starting Mazraoi over him, out of position, and one reason is that it would impact how Madrid see them, which obviously doesn’t make sense if you’re risking the biggest game of the year to protect a player who apparently doesn’t even wanna be there. It’s possible that he does indeed start from the bench, I just think the rumour that is going around doesn’t make sense. We’ll see soon enough- game is in a few hours.

I do wonder though if the Madrid transfer really is dead, if he can even stay in Bayern at this point. Wonder if the damage is done and he’ll leave to go elsewhere in either case.