WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

I do wonder why Fraser seems to jump some of the other midfielders on the depth chart. To me, he’s a borderline selection for the team to begin with. Not sure how he gets his number called over Piette as a sub. 

Anyway, not trying to take away from the performance last night but I get a bit perplexed by this.

8 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I do wonder why Fraser seems to jump some of the other midfielders on the depth chart. To me, he’s a borderline selection for the team to begin with. Not sure how he gets his number called over Piette as a sub. 

Anyway, not trying to take away from the performance last night but I get a bit perplexed by this.

Hell of a header though!!

14 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Fraser is having an amazing season for Columbus. He's earned his spot. 

I think Piette is Eustaquio's like for like sub, problem is Eustaquio almost never comes off.  

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wait... @El Hombre is in Deep River? El Hombre, I thought you had moved out from Ottawa to the Arnprior area...but that's like 130km past that!

@MM3/MM2/MM are you in Ottawa?

7 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Wait... are any of you from Deep River? That's my home town. And since it's only 4000 people there's like a 99% chance we know each other. I remember @El Hombre is in Arnprior. 

I am everywhere and nowhere.

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Someday I will buy you a beer. 

8 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Hell, if we take 6 points in the next 2 games, I will drive to Deep River(?) and buy @El Hombre a beer.

My gawd, as I sat on early 8am conference calls this morning in a hoodie and jogging pants and stared bleary-eyed at little Microsoft Teams avatars, the thought of another beer made my stomach do somersaults.  I really need to adjust when my pre-game drinks start when its a late game.

8 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Stalked Kilbane’s Twitter, someone wanna tell him why our ranking is so low ? He thinks we’re ahead of Ireland, wow nice compliment.

also, who was out vs the USA ?

We are ahead of Ireland in the live rankings.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hopefully after getting the big result in the difficult game, they now go on to do what's necessary in the two games that are perceived as being easier.

Can we get your take on the crowd? What do you think it was? Was the Mexican FA "papering the house?"

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"It's a draw with the taste of a loss." Wow.

Not sure which here can understand Spanish, but that video particularly, with the big guns and real experts (there are a lot of trash commentary circles on Youtube, almost unintelligible), is so amazing. Basically they are all saying that regardless of results, NO team ever comes into Azteca and pressures Mexico up high. No matter what, the rivals ALWAYS sit back and counter. So the boldness was very much noted. 

I'll get to it when I have some time, but you have to listen to Tata postgame. I honestly think he is totally deluded, he analyses what happens with very little accuracy. And then goes on about them not having VAR, when VAR would have shown a red card kick-out, or that the mess with Crepeau was, however you look at it, a player interfering with the keeper.

So I don't think the guy is really able to know what is happening and that is a pretty bad mark against him. Since they are confident of qualifying, and will get their wins against weaker rivals (they'll probably score 4 vs. Honduras as a reaction) he'll probably not be fired, but the commentators, fans and press are all very critical of his work, especially the last year. 

49 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

That's 3 times now we've come back and scored after conceding. This team doesn't give up. 

The point feels great, but from another perspective, Mex could've scored 3 more (the Crepeau screw up, the Jimenez goal called back on a foul to Vitoria, and the Johnston almost own goal). We were good, but also lucky. 

I want a clean sheet in Jamaica. 

We could of scored 2-3 more too

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It helps to have gamechangers on the attack, guys who can hurt you. 

I wish I had a screen shot of the 1 on 4 Davies faced on one play.  And Buchanon doubles the pleasure and doubles the fun.

I noticed that too.  I know I'm pushing it here but it did remind me of that famous photo of Maradona vs. Belgium 😄 .

Diego Maradona Signed "Argentina vs. Belgium" 19" x 24" Custom Framed Photo  Display (Icons COA) | Pristine Auction

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really amazing what the Mexican experts are saying. Some saying one of the best rival performances they've seen in Azteca, and one of the worst Mexican games. Hugo Sánchez says we outplayed them. Others say they did not learn from the GC Houston match. Others commenting how we pressed. Also, that we took it to them, and played cleanly, essentially saying we let Mexico play. All told, a great performance, a major achievment.

For non-Spanish speakers, apart from what was explained by @Unnamed Trialist, it was also debated whether or not Crepeau's move was a penalty. An interesting detail was that they said that apparently many of the Mexican players who came from Europe, are being affected by the height of Mexico City.

In my personal opinion, I think Canada has shown that it has an excellent competitive level. It is a team that is not afraid to attack and that even without having its entire starting team, knows how to get results. It's a delight to see this new Canada play.
As some of you know, I live in Panama, but I was born in Venezuela and
I have followed Canada since the 1987 Pan American Games in Indianapolis where I attended the game vs. Chile, and from there I have become a soccer fan of your beautiful country- Thank you Canada for making us dream

1 minute ago, xabuep2 said:

For non-Spanish speakers, apart from what was explained by @Unnamed Trialist, it was also debated whether or not Crepeau's move was a penalty. An interesting detail was that they said that apparently many of the Mexican players who came from Europe, are being affected by the height of Mexico City.

In my personal opinion, I think Canada has shown that it has an excellent competitive level. It is a team that is not afraid to attack and that even without having its entire starting team, knows how to get results. It's a delight to see this new Canada play.
As some of you know, I live in Panama, but I was born in Venezuela and
I have followed Canada since the 1987 Pan American Games in Indianapolis where I attended the game vs. Chile, and from there I have become a soccer fan of your beautiful country- Thank you Canada for making us dream

Can you imagine how Gareth would have reacted if that was vice versa and it wasn’t called a penalty for Canada? Haha

Just now, xabuep2 said:

For non-Spanish speakers, apart from what was explained by @Unnamed Trialist, it was also debated whether or not Crepeau's move was a penalty.

What was the consensus? To be honest, I think i would be pissed if I was a Mexican fan. I dont think Lozano did anything to interfere with Crepeau. Crepeau just launched it right at him.

I dont think that was a penalty though - an indirect free kick yes.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

What was the consensus? To be honest, I think i would be pissed if I was a Mexican fan. I dont think Lozano did anything to interfere with Crepeau. Crepeau just launched it right at him.

I dont think that was a penalty though - an indirect free kick yes.

No, it was not a general agreement.

6 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

An interesting detail was that they said that apparently many of the Mexican players who came from Europe, are being affected by the height of Mexico City.

I think this is the unintended consequence of Mexico getting better and having more of their best play overseas.  Their previous dominate homefield advantage is handicapped somewhat by the fact most of their players are not playing for clubs at altitude 

2 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I think this is the unintended consequence of Mexico getting better and having more of their best play overseas.  Their previous dominate homefield advantage is handicapped somewhat by the fact most of their players are not playing for clubs at altitude 

And they are making similar travel plans. 

38 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Honestly my only sadness with this team is that DeRo was born too early to be able to be a part of this group. His mentality would have fit right in, especially as he was one of the few consistent winners during his time with the NT in the 2010s.

Dero might be mad that he doesnt get many minutes with this group.  HEHEHE!

My random thoughts from last night:

- Oso MOTM, and not just because he scored.  When I see him perform the way he did last night, I'm always yelling at the TV, "Why Oso, why did you not ever develop your left foot so that you can maybe be that mythical #10 player for Canada that all Voyageurs wish for when they blow out their birthday candles?"

- Johnston struggled a bit last night (for good reason), but I'm happy he was out there.  His play will continue to improve with such exposure.  Johnston's improvement arc has been impressive. I am also loving Miller's game and how he's improved.

- David struggled unfortunately.  When you have a player that does not create space for himself with dribbling, his first touch is incredibly important and it just wasn't there last night.  I am betting he starts against Jamaica and am hoping his struggles will put a chip on his shoulder.

- I think this is the best we can expect out of a referee during this qualifying run, especially in the first half.  Perhaps Mexico could have a received another yellow or two, but for me a referee that (generally) keeps his cards in his pocket makes Canada better off in the long run.  Regarding Laryea's yellow, I hate it too, but I see it as a "We have to learn" moment.  Instead of getting up and standing over the Mexican pointing his finger and exacerbating the situation, if he goes all CONCACAF, falls after getting kicked and yells at the ref while pointing to his knee, at minimum, he's eligible for Sunday.  It sucks, and it's easy for me to say, I know, but I look at Davies and what he faces every game, and he's stays cold-blooded throughout the 90 minutes.

- Watching Canada win the possession game in the first half reminded of the 4-0 shellackings we used to get in the 90s at Azteca, where it would be an accomplishment if we got a shot on target.  Loved the performance last night and the god feelings from last night puts an extra jump in the playes for the next two matches. :-) 

What a performance for our boys who were missing some keys players and played against the best Mexican squad on paper in years.  Huge point for Canada but even bigger dropped points for Mexico who will likely have to play a full strength squad vs one of our direct rivals for a top 3 spot instead of sending out a reserve squad had they already been qualified.

Crepeau - Not his best performance but really could have done nothing on their goal.  He needs to be better communicating out there though with his players.  Extremely lucky to get away with that gaffe in the 2nd half but overall happy with the result and fully confident with him playing these next two games.

Vitoria - What an absolute beast.  You would think he played for Portuguese giants FC Porto instead of minnows Moreirense the way he usually plays for Canada.  In all seriousness, if he wasn't at the age he is, then I would be calling for him to make a move to a bigger club.  He was never going to play vs Mexico so his yellow card works our perfect.

Kamal Miller - He was good in my opinion but not great.  Defensively, always happy with him for the most part but passing continues to need improvement.  The LCB spot is still his to lose in my opinion even with a healthy Kennedy.

Johnston - I actually thought it was one of his worse games in recent games for Canada but defending an attacking trio of Raul, Chuky & Tecatito was always going to be difficult.

Osorio - Always come up big for club and country in Latin America.  Great touch and great finish on the goal.  Always been a huge fan of Osorio and I'm glad others are really appreciating him now.

Kaye - Obviously one of the weaker players for Canada last night but given he now plays in Colorado, him playing always made the most sense.

Eustaquio - Continues to amaze me as a player.  Such an important player to our squad and the only lock as a starter in that midfield when we are fully fit.  Also, loved seeing his celebration/reaction late in stoppage time, when Tajon came back to defend and blocked a pass that deflected right back off Raul and out for a goal kick.  I love seeing that type of hype.

Laryea - Besides his one shot that almost landed outside of the stadium, he was dangerous going forward.  Defensively it wasn't his best performance and got caught out on Mexico's goal.  I could see Herdman giving the start to ZBG regardless of the yellow but I think that he would

Tajon - Absolutely incredible again.  Enough cannot be said about his meteoric rise to stardom.  From a bench/role player last season with New England and 0 Canadian caps to absolutely terrorizing Mexico's defense in Mexico last night.

Davies - Obviously Raul is not the same player since before his injury and both Tecatito & Lozano are special players as well but last night Davies proved to the world that he is the best player in CONCACAF.  And the gap continues to widen.  Still need a bit better decision making from him.

David - Obviously quite poor.  Just seemed like he could never get into the game and his touch was quite off last night.  Still going to need him every game he's available but we have to try and figure out how to utilize him.  He is always kept quiet in the big matches for us.

Fraser - I thought he was okay.  I will remember this performance by him with his late giveaway that almost cost Canada.

Millar - He did his job.  Great work rate down the left side.

Adekugbe - Continues to impress me every time he comes onto the pitch.

Brym - Not a lot of time to show anything but thought he ran hard.  Some criticized his dive to win a pk late but I thought it was a smart play considering he would never have won the ball on the play.  Clearly not a pk but actually quite happy with his display.  Expectations were quite low for him after the OQ's so perhaps leads to my somewhat positive opinion.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Fraser is having an amazing season for Columbus. He's earned his spot. 

I think Piette is Eustaquio's like for like sub, problem is Eustaquio almost never comes off.  

Is he really though? Every time I’ve seen him play he looks gaf prone.

If I go by the player ratings on WhoScored he’s the 17th highest rated player on Columbus. Not that the ratings are the be-all and end all.. but it seems like this guy is still working on cementing himself as a pro when someone like Piette has long since cleared that bar.

Edited by ag futbol

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

My gawd, as I sat on early 8am conference calls this morning in a hoodie and jogging pants and stared bleary-eyed at little Microsoft Teams avatars, the thought of another beer made my stomach do somersaults.  I really need to adjust when my pre-game drinks start when its a late game.

Or take the day after the game off?