WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

Just now, canuckgbp said:

The other two results aren't secured yet. 

The other results wouldn't be secured by waving the white flag and resting Davies and a few others and this match either. We're way too deep into hypotheticals. 

Canada has the weapons to win both those matches with or without some of their top guys fully rested. If they fail to do so there will be plenty of fingers to point, and world class athletes being a bit short on rest can only ever be a small part of it.

9 hours ago, grigorio said:

All y’all “we should forfeit we’ll never get a result in Mexico play the C team” eat some damn crow and update your attitude. 

That was 80-90% of this board, frankly. Now they are all hiding and bs-ing about the match. 

No one knows what can happen in a football match, but what you can't do is lie down, the worst team in a top flight never does against the best away, you always have a chance. 

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

I think OneSoccer would sell more subscriptions if they had an Explicit channel with Hume just swearing a blue steak throughout the game.

"Fooking 'ell, what a sweet fookin' ball from Buchanan!"

I watched a Mexican channel, entertaining their colour commentary.

5 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Great road point.  I don’t know if Mexico played so poorly or this Mexican team is the worst in decades because the Mexicans love to attack snd they defended way too much in this match IMO, I get the feeling Tata is going to get sacked before Herdman ever does, as the Mexican press going to crucify him.  Also didn’t know Canada tied at Azteca in 1980 WCQ, wow its been 41 years since Canada got a result.  

Thing is they had to play deep, they've got great players (and coach), but you just can't press this Canadian team, we're just too quick and dangerous on the counter.

Let's foookin go! We're going undefeated all WCQ lads!

One positive thing to look at, even though we might be a bit gassed I presume Jamaica mostly played their starts as well. It's not like they're going to be fully rested. We have much better depth.

As mentioned above, Henry in for Vitoria and ZBG or Adekugbe in for Laryea isn't really a drop off. Millar, Hoilett, or even Shaffelburg should do well enough to replace Buchanan. I'm also not against another CM coming in for Kaye.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The other results wouldn't be secured by waving the white flag and resting Davies and a few others and this match either. We're way too deep into hypotheticals. 

Canada has the weapons to win both those matches with or without some of their top guys fully rested. If they fail to do so there will be plenty of fingers to point, and world class athletes being a bit short on rest can only ever be a small part of it.

Well we lost 3 players to yellows. Vitoria probably wouldn't have played to be fair. Laryea and Tajon def would have though. We are gaining Hoilett in attack. Davies also played the 90... its tough. 

And define waving the white flag? Setting up slightly more defensively doesn't mean concede the game. 

Of course we are deep into hypotheticals. That is the entire point of this lol. 

Edited by canuckgbp

11 minutes ago, grigorio said:

All y’all “we should forfeit we’ll never get a result in Mexico play the C team” eat some damn crow and update your attitude. 

Too soon too say if it was the right call.  Its great Canada tied but it cost us 3 players against Jamaica on yellow cards, particularly Buchanan.  I think Herdman should’ve subbed faster to prevent tired legs from fouling.  Also first time I hear Osorio speak.  Why does he speak with a Spanish accent, when talking to Canadian media??  I thought growing up here all his life he’d speaking more like a Canuck than anything eh 😛

Edited by nolbertos

2 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Too soon to tell

This team has no off-switch and is full of “big balls” as Oso just eloquently put it. They compete in every single match they’re not gonna 3D chess their way to a World Cup and I’m here for it. This is the first team full of fight we’ve ever seen since maybe 1986. If they don’t make it it’ll be guns a blazing and will be the ride of our lives. That’s all I want. To be proud of a team of warriors that wants to win every match. 

8 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Fair, but we're still going to Jamaica depleted and pretty tired from playing at altitude.  It's only two days rest!  I'm not counting chickens just yet.