WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

9 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Is he really though? Every time I’ve seen him play he looks gaf prone.

If I go by the player ratings on WhoScored he’s the 17th highest rated player on Columbus. Not that the ratings are the be-all and end all.. but it seems like this guy is still working on cementing himself as a pro when someone like Piette has long since cleared that bar.

Columbus fans basically describe him as "inoffensive" so I mean at least he's not been bad for them lol.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Columbus fans basically describe him as "inoffensive" so I mean at least he's not been bad for them lol.

Porter said he was "incredible" in their Nations League win against Cruz Azul. He looks bigger than I remember and I was surprised to see him with that chance off the corner. 

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really amazing what the Mexican experts are saying. Some saying one of the best rival performances they've seen in Azteca, and one of the worst Mexican games. Hugo Sánchez says we outplayed them. Others say they did not learn from the GC Houston match. Others commenting how we pressed. Also, that we took it to them, and played cleanly, essentially saying we let Mexico play. All told, a great performance, a major achievment.

I maintained for awhile now that Canada has the best set of attacking players in the region but the last commentator made a very salient point: the Canadian midfield completely outplayed the Mexican one. Maybe I overlooked the Canadian midfield. Maybe we have also the best midfield in the region.

21 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Johnston - I actually thought it was one of his worse games in recent games for Canada but defending an attacking trio of Raul, Chuky & Tecatito was always going to be difficult.

Does anyone else not thinking his header on the line, which a lot of defenders would not have risked, saved a tap in goal?  Cancels out a lot of the other struggles for me.

Edited by trc2014

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

Does anyone else not thinking his header on the line, which a lot of defenders would not have risked, saved a tap I. Goal?  Cancels out a lot of the other struggles for me.

It almost caused a tap in goal - that was the right idea but poor execution.

32 minutes ago, Corazon said:

What a performance for our boys who were missing some keys players and played against the best Mexican squad on paper in years.  Huge point for Canada but even bigger dropped points for Mexico who will likely have to play a full strength squad vs one of our direct rivals for a top 3 spot instead of sending out a reserve squad had they already been qualified.

Crepeau - Not his best performance but really could have done nothing on their goal.  He needs to be better communicating out there though with his players.  Extremely lucky to get away with that gaffe in the 2nd half but overall happy with the result and fully confident with him playing these next two games.

Vitoria - What an absolute beast.  You would think he played for Portuguese giants FC Porto instead of minnows Moreirense the way he usually plays for Canada.  In all seriousness, if he wasn't at the age he is, then I would be calling for him to make a move to a bigger club.  He was never going to play vs Mexico so his yellow card works our perfect.

Kamal Miller - He was good in my opinion but not great.  Defensively, always happy with him for the most part but passing continues to need improvement.  The LCB spot is still his to lose in my opinion even with a healthy Kennedy.

Johnston - I actually thought it was one of his worse games in recent games for Canada but defending an attacking trio of Raul, Chuky & Tecatito was always going to be difficult.

Osorio - Always come up big for club and country in Latin America.  Great touch and great finish on the goal.  Always been a huge fan of Osorio and I'm glad others are really appreciating him now.

Kaye - Obviously one of the weaker players for Canada last night but given he now plays in Colorado, him playing always made the most sense.

Eustaquio - Continues to amaze me as a player.  Such an important player to our squad and the only lock as a starter in that midfield when we are fully fit.  Also, loved seeing his celebration/reaction late in stoppage time, when Tajon came back to defend and blocked a pass that deflected right back off Raul and out for a goal kick.  I love seeing that type of hype.

Laryea - Besides his one shot that almost landed outside of the stadium, he was dangerous going forward.  Defensively it wasn't his best performance and got caught out on Mexico's goal.  I could see Herdman giving the start to ZBG regardless of the yellow but I think that he would

Tajon - Absolutely incredible again.  Enough cannot be said about his meteoric rise to stardom.  From a bench/role player last season with New England and 0 Canadian caps to absolutely terrorizing Mexico's defense in Mexico last night.

Davies - Obviously Raul is not the same player since before his injury and both Tecatito & Lozano are special players as well but last night Davies proved to the world that he is the best player in CONCACAF.  And the gap continues to widen.  Still need a bit better decision making from him.

David - Obviously quite poor.  Just seemed like he could never get into the game and his touch was quite off last night.  Still going to need him every game he's available but we have to try and figure out how to utilize him.  He is always kept quiet in the big matches for us.

Fraser - I thought he was okay.  I will remember this performance by him with his late giveaway that almost cost Canada.

Millar - He did his job.  Great work rate down the left side.

Adekugbe - Continues to impress me every time he comes onto the pitch.

Brym - Not a lot of time to show anything but thought he ran hard.  Some criticized his dive to win a pk late but I thought it was a smart play considering he would never have won the ball on the play.  Clearly not a pk but actually quite happy with his display.  Expectations were quite low for him after the OQ's so perhaps leads to my somewhat positive opinion.

Yeah you're wrong about Raul. He took a few games to return to form but he's been absolute fire for a few weeks now. Just as good as before the injury. He's the reason, along with Hwang and Sa, that Wolves aren't in a relegation position already. 

I also disagree about David. I don't think he was poor. I don't think he was given service. The first time he had a real controllable ball was the play near the end with Davies, but quite admittedly it wasn't good from Davies either. David probably wasn't expecting to come to a dead stop and have to take a few steps back. A few other times when be had a poor first touch - it was Kaye's fault for launching rockets at him from less than 10 yards when coverage was pretty tight on him. Of course he's not going to control that. 

Edited by Hawkguy

2 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Yeah you're wrong about Raul. He took a few games to return to form but he's been absolute fire for a few weeks now. Just as good as before the injury. He's the reason, along with Hwang and Sa, that Wolves aren't in a relegation position already. 

I also disagree about David. I don't think he was poor. I don't think he was given service. The first time he had a real controllable ball was the play near the end with Davies, but quite immediately it wasn't good from Davies either. David probably wasn't expecting to come to a dead stop and have to take a few steps back. A few other times when be had a poor first touch - it was Kaye's fault for launching rockets at him from less than 10 yards when coverage was pretty tight on him. Of course he's not going to control that. 

Respect your opinion.  Raul is still a great player and yes he is still getting back into the swing of things.  I am a huge fan of his so I hope he returns to the player he was, I am just not sure he will.  I agree that half of the problem with David is not himself but his role and lack of service.  But, people are claiming he should go to Liverpool or Real Madrid.  If that's the case, we still need to see more from him.

Edited by Corazon

17 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Does anyone else not thinking his header on the line, which a lot of defenders would not have risked, saved a tap in goal?  Cancels out a lot of the other struggles for me.

Absolutely crucial header that probably saves a goal.  Not taking that away from him.  It actually might be the play of the game to be honest but at times he struggled last night.  That's all, still a remarkable player who has that position locked in stone for us.

I see some rating Johnston poorly. I can see why some might feel that way, but I think he was put in a position to look badly defensively far too often. I don't quite understand the tactical reason for it (most likely not getting enough support from Buchanan) but far too often he was left alone to defend two players.

Johnston did well in his one on one matchups when called upon, would always stand up for his teammates, and if you rewind Canada's goal sequence about 30 seconds before Davies' assist, you'll see that's he's responsible for that entire possession.

An own goal could have spoiled all of that but didn't. He gets at least a B+ from me.

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I see some rating Johnston poorly. I can see why some might feel that way, but I think he was put in a position to look badly defensively far too often. I don't quite understand the tactical reason for it (most likely not getting enough support from Buchanan) but far too often he was left alone to defend two players.

Johnston did well in his one on one matchups when called upon, would always stand up for his teammates, and if you rewind Canada's goal sequence about 30 seconds before Davies' assist, you'll see that's he's responsible for that entire possession.

An own goal could have spoiled all of that but didn't. He gets at least a B+ from me.

He was also battling Lozano all night and was isolated against him. Tough task. 

Little over 13 hours later, two of the key points that stand out for me are: we went toe to toe vs the CONCACAF powerhouse in back to back games, and could've won either one or even both with a few different bounces.  Everyone from players to coach were all-in, there was no effort to play it safe, they're all on the same wavelength.  Some guys didn't play as well as they could have, but they weren't intimidated. 

2- the frustration the Mexican players showed.  They wanted to beat and intimidate us on the pitch and with the dark arts, but couldn't.  

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

I still get over Lozano (?) trying to get the call on Davies going full horizontal like a fish, resembled that old clip of the Filipino divers in the SEA games

i saw that clip on twitter and wanted to post it here but can't find it now. 

It's actually impressive how ridiculous that was. He almost deserved the foul call just for how over the top it was. 

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I never would have thought that I would give up masturbation in favour of watching Canada Mexico highlights over and over again…   🤣

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Can't you do both?

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

At the same time? Yes, I can

Oh Canada! Oooooh Baby!

I would like to say that it was refreshing to see a referee not calling a foul every time a player rolled around on the ground.  The little smirk he gave as he wagged his finger was great.

Yes, the Laryea yellow was harsh, but Laryea has been dancing a fine line all qualifying.  If he gets fouled he gets right in the face of the opponent and is often in the middle of things when the pushing and shoving starts.  He likely could have had his second yellow 2 games ago.

***Edit:  And of course this post ends up right below one of the worst flops of the night.  :)

Edited by AvroArrow

54 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Exactly this. Well said!