WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

6 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I give them credit for coming out and talking about the midfield from the get-go. 

Overall a very good episode. 

One thing where they err I believe is when they talk about negatives. Slow starts, well yes. Without mentioning we constantly get scored on 1st and are forced to chase results. 

So you can't say Herdman is great at adjusting mid match and ignore we are regularly coming out wrong and staying wrong until behind a goal. It's the team's most serious problem. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I give them credit for coming out and talking about the midfield from the get-go. 

Overall a very good episode. 

One thing where they err I believe is when they talk about negatives. Slow starts, well yes. Without mentioning we constantly get scored on 1st and are forced to chase results. 

So you can't say Herdman is great at adjusting mid match and ignore we are regularly coming out wrong and staying wrong until behind a goal. It's the team's most serious problem. 

I think the only games where we've really started poorly have been the Honduras match last month, the USA game at the Gold Cup, and the Suriname game in June. Falling behind against the USA last month and Mexico yesterday weren't the result of poor starts, but due to facing strong opposition who will test us even when we're actually playing well. Sure, 3 games with poor starts out of the last 13 matches is something that needs working on, but let's not convince ourselves that it's an endemic issue.

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think the only games where we've really started poorly have been the Honduras match last month, the USA game at the Gold Cup, and the Suriname game in June. Falling behind against the USA last month and Mexico yesterday weren't the result of poor starts, but due to facing strong opposition who will test us even when we're actually playing well. Sure, 3 games with poor starts out of the last 13 matches is something that needs working on, but let's not convince ourselves that it's an endemic issue.

3 of the last 4 I'd say, 5 of the last 7. Not slow starts, I'm not talking about that. I criticize getting scored on first. We didn't win any of those. 

If our coaching staff want to be lauded for tactics, fix that. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Martinique match as well. 

11 hours ago, narduch said:

Set pieces

Okay, I'll bite ;)

Yes, you need to work on them in attack and defense, train them like hell and see what you can get out of them. Plenty of clubs and even national teams don't rely on them, Spain is an example: rarely any important NT goal was on a set piece. Barça has been historically disastrous with corners or indirect long kicks. So it depends if you think that is going to be your forte or not, and to what degree. 

IMO we over insist (referring to Canada). Sometimes a foul 45 metres from goal on the side should just be a chance to move forward and play out in possession, with your entire team inside the opposing half. But no: Canada always has to send those in, a 40 metre ball into the box and expect to get something of it? Not sure it is worth it, and you expose your back line to a counter with the CB towers up for the header. It is very old-fashioned, and on top of it you expose your set piece strategy  when it could be best to keep it under wraps until a better chance comes along. 

Where Canada has been successful: second goal vs El Salvador in Olympic qualifying, from right side in closer, Buchanan goal off the centre by Daniels think it was, pass from Cornelius. Second goal in WC qualifying vs. El Salvador, from almost the exact same spot, Junior-Vitória-Buchanan-David. But those are better money set pieces than ones 15-20 metres further away.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

34 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This is funny from ESPN pundit, Hercules Gomez.  

“Herdman literally ate Berhalter’s and Tata’s lunch”.  

Would love that on a banner.

Herc literally walked off a Mexican show where the analysts were arguing about the best player in CONCACA and they mentioned Corona in the same breath as Davies. This guy knows his game and he was singing the praises for the Canadian team for quite awhile.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Okay, I'll bite ;)

Yes, you need to work on them in attack and defense, train them like hell and see what you can get out of them. Plenty of clubs and even national teams don't rely on them, Spain is an example: rarely any important NT goal was on a set piece. Barça has been historically disastrous with corners or indirect long kicks. So it depends if you think that is going to be your forte or not, and to what degree. 

IMO we over insist (referring to Canada). Sometimes a foul 45 metres from goal on the side should just be a chance to move forward and play out in possession, with your entire team inside the opposing half. But no: Canada always has to send those in, a 40 metre ball into the box and expect to get something of it? Not sure it is worth it, and you expose your back line to a counter with the CB towers up for the header. It is very old-fashioned, and on top of it you expose your set piece strategy  when it could be best to keep it under wraps until a better chance comes along. 

Where Canada has been successful: second goal vs El Salvador in Olympic qualifying, from right side in closer, Buchanan goal off the centre by Daniels think it was, pass from Cornelius. Second goal in WC qualifying vs. El Salvador, from almost the exact same spot, Junior-Vitória-Buchanan-David. But those are better money set pieces than ones 15-20 metres further away.

I agree.  Those longer diagonal dead ball plays are pretty low percentage right now (despite the Vitoria chance).  We have the attackers now who benefit more from a quick free kick and an opportunity for a 1 v 1, even from a static start.

20 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Herc literally walked off a Mexican show where the analysts were arguing about the best player in CONCACA and they mentioned Corona in the same breath as Davies. This guy knows his game and he was singing the praises for the Canadian team for quite awhile.

Good find

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Isn't this the guy we were all slaughtering over his beyond-ignorant takes before and after the Nations League win over the USA a couple of years ago?

12 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Isn't this the guy we were all slaughtering over his beyond-ignorant takes before and after the Nations League win over the USA a couple of years ago?

I can't answer your question but I do know from well before this final round of WC qualifications he was predicting Canada to easily finish in the top three

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

That was the other guy, Sebi Salazar. The same one now claiming that's he's all in on Canada qualifying for Qatar and that he had Canada at fourth in his pre-Octagonal rankings.

EDIT: I'm now remembering Herc Gomez telling a fake story about a USMNT player drinking beer and eating chicken wings prior to playing against (and beating) Canada.

10 hours ago, RS said:

That was the other guy, Sebi Salazar. The same one now claiming that's he's all in on Canada qualifying for Qatar and that he had Canada at fourth in his pre-Octagonal rankings.

EDIT: I'm now remembering Herc Gomez telling a fake story about a USMNT player drinking beer and eating chicken wings prior to playing against (and beating) Canada.

Started the rant with the immortal words "Canada has no talent and they've never had talent"  before launching into the beer and chicken wing story.  Of course, this was before Phonsie cracked the Bayern lineup and David was pre-hype at Gent.

25 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Started the rant with the immortal words "Canada has no talent and they've never had talent"  before launching into the beer and chicken wing story.  Of course, this was before Phonsie cracked the Bayern lineup and David was pre-hype at Gent.

Actually it wasn’t before Davies cracked the Bayern lineup. He was a starter at that point in the fall 2019. 

I wouldn’t give Gomez credit for anything. He’s taken up the mantra of being a loud-month sports personality with a never-ending stream of hot takes.

I’m not sure he cares about the substance of anything he says as much as he aims for reactions and eyeballs with histrionics. 

He should be sent to a small island in the South Pacific with Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, and similar ilk to play in some sort of hunger games contest. 

On 10/8/2021 at 7:50 AM, BrennanFan said:

That's 3 times now we've come back and scored after conceding. This team doesn't give up. 

The point feels great, but from another perspective, Mex could've scored 3 more (the Crepeau screw up, the Jimenez goal called back on a foul to Vitoria, and the Johnston almost own goal). We were good, but also lucky. 

I want a clean sheet in Jamaica. 

You got it

• 3 months later...