WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

Really amazing what the Mexican experts are saying. Some saying one of the best rival performances they've seen in Azteca, and one of the worst Mexican games. Hugo Sánchez says we outplayed them. Others say they did not learn from the GC Houston match. Others commenting how we pressed. Also, that we took it to them, and played cleanly, essentially saying we let Mexico play. All told, a great performance, a major achievment.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wait... @El Hombre is in Deep River? El Hombre, I thought you had moved out from Ottawa to the Arnprior area...but that's like 130km past that!

@MM3/MM2/MM are you in Ottawa?

Wait... are any of you from Deep River? That's my home town. And since it's only 4000 people there's like a 99% chance we know each other. I remember @El Hombre is in Arnprior. 

The high from this match is starting to wear off. Got up at 2:30am to watch and it is now 7:45am. It didn’t help that my son woke at 5am and at 5:30 despite still being still being in PJs, he demanded I put his shoes on and take him for a walk along the canal. He is currently chasing pigeons around the park and I am struggling to keep up. Going to be a long day. 

From Jon Arnold in the world football newsletter.

A goal from Jorge Sanchez put Mexico on the front foot in the Estadio Azteca, where Canada has never won in qualification, but Canada kept fighting for control of the midfield and taking the game to the hosts, eventually finding a goal before halftime as Alphonso Davies set up Jonathan Osorio. Neither team scored in the second-half, but Canada may have deserved all three points based on the performance.”

15 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

He did introduce the key concept of fucking with your cock, which now seems to be the norm.

I think it also establishes the principle that the smaller team can beat the bigger rival, especially if the smaller team has a better idea of what to fuck with. If you are still figuring it out at halftime, that sets you back.

That was halftime at a match that was 2-1 Lleida over Real Madrid in 1994. It ended the same. Lleida also beat Barça at Camp Nou that season, but relegated and has never been back in top flight, only spent the odd season since in 2nd tier. 

Have to say I think yesterday's performance and result from Azteca just sold about 5,000 more tickets to Wednesday's fixture and who knows how many for the games in Edmonton.

BTW how big was that loss to El Salvador for Panama?  They could/should come out of this window with a grand total of zero points and 8 goals into the ditch. 

12 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Have to say I think yesterday's performance and result from Azteca just sold about 5,000 more tickets to Wednesday's fixture and who knows how many for the games in Edmonton.

BTW how big was that loss to El Salvador for Panama?  They could/should come out of this window with a grand total of zero points and 8 goals into the ditch. 

There were only a few hundred left before the Mexico game.

We have the only seats left in the stadium, because when initial allocation sold out in 12 minutes we didn't just throw the code/link out there and metered it out a little more judiciously. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

In Canada, a minute before the new NHL season starts, while the MLB playoffs are ongoing....look what's the lead story on the Sportsnet website!

image.png.7414dcff9e278c65356185faea905551.png

It also lead the show, Sportsnet Central. I'm watching TSN's Sportscenter and so far nothing. 

Edit: 8:30 half an hour segment actually led with it as well. Nevermind, I'm impressed with TSN also.

Edited by Macksam

That's 3 times now we've come back and scored after conceding. This team doesn't give up. 

The point feels great, but from another perspective, Mex could've scored 3 more (the Crepeau screw up, the Jimenez goal called back on a foul to Vitoria, and the Johnston almost own goal). We were good, but also lucky. 

I want a clean sheet in Jamaica.