WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Shit, gutless ref

I have to be honest - I think he was quite good overall, and certainly better than I would have expected. He took Jimenez's goal off the board. It was the right call but how many refs would have let them go in Azteca? He didnt give up a penalty to Crepeau on an odd situation where he could have easily done so.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:35 PM, nolbertos said:

...Also didn’t know Canada tied at Azteca in 1980 WCQ...

Also 1-1 on the crappy old artificial turf at Exhibition Stadium, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_CONCACAF_Championship_qualification 

and again at the final round tournament that was played in Honduras. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_CONCACAF_Championship 

If I remember that disappointment correctly, it looked like they should have been on their way to qualifying going into the last game if they could have beaten Cuba.

Edited by Heepster

4 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Fraser is having an amazing season for Columbus. He's earned his spot. 

I think Piette is Eustaquio's like for like sub, problem is Eustaquio almost never comes off.  

I don’t know if Piette is as fast as was needed last night.  

16 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I have to be honest - I think he was quite good overall, and certainly better than I would have expected. He took Jimenez's goal off the board. It was the right call but how many refs would have let them go in Azteca? He didnt give up a penalty to Crepeau on an odd situation where he could have easily done so.

No mention by the Mexican commentators  about the kick-out.  Also Univision called Osorio Colombian didn’t they?

I’m hearing some media saying that this “should have been a win” and that we dominated large parts of the game, do you guys think this is true?  I think a draw was well deserved and we held on for dear life for most of the last 20 minutes.  All this win talk feels like discounting how amazing the draw actually is.  Maybe I need to re-watch....

Edited by trc2014

3 hours ago, Heepster said:

Also 1-1 on the crappy old artificial turf at Exhibition Stadium, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_CONCACAF_Championship_qualification 

and again at the final round tournament that was played in Honduras. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_CONCACAF_Championship 

If I remember that disappointment correctly, it looked they should have been on their way to qualifying going into the last game if they could have beaten Cuba.

Yeah. This was what got me into following the National team as we were so close (and the fact the 1982 World Cup was broadcast mostly live for the first time on the CBC that cemented my interest).  And then I was rewarded with our qualification to the 86 World Cup. And I was young and naive enough to think we would qualify for every World Cup going forward.  It’s been a long and painful 30+ years. 

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

Respect your opinion.  Raul is still a great player and yes he is still getting back into the swing of things.  I am a huge fan of his so I hope he returns to the player he was, I am just not sure he will.  I agree that half of the problem with David is not himself but his role and lack of service.  But, people are claiming he should go to Liverpool or Real Madrid.  If that's the case, we still need to see more from him.

Do you watch Wolves much? They're my favourite team - I almost never miss a game. His last 3 games are just as good as any in a Wolves shirt. He was a bit tentative to start the year but once he started to use his physicality again, he's been fantastic. 

I mean, Davies was fairly poor yesterday too aside from the assist. And he plays for the best team in the world. David would probably be better off at a team like Raul right now - ala Wolves, Villa, etc. 

90% of the time his goal last night counts too in most leagues. 

Edited by Hawkguy

21 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I’m hearing some media saying that this “should have been a win” and that we dominated large parts of the game, do you guys think this is true?  I think a draw was well deserved and we held on for dear life for most of the last 20 minutes.  All this win talk feels like discounting how amazing the draw actually is.  Maybe I need to re-watch....

I think a draw is a fair result, but we could have (and maybe should have) had at least two or three in the first half and then the Davies botched 3-2 at the end as well... but we were also on the ropes and defending hard for most of the second half 

9 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think a draw is a fair result, but we could have (and maybe should have) had at least two or three in the first half and then the Davies botched 3-2 at the end as well... but we were also on the ropes and defending hard for most of the second half 

I think the key difference is could vs. should.  

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

If I'm not mistaken his parents are from Colombia.

I didn’t know Osorio was Colombian descent.  Thought he was Uruguayan like Cavallini.  Explains his heavy Spanglish accent.  I see more and more Colombians the last 10 years immigrate to Canada for better opportunities.  Glad to see more diversity in our society and obviously team too.

4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I didn’t know Osorio was Colombian descent.  Thought he was Uruguayan like Cavallini.  Explains his heavy Spanglish accent.  I see more and more Colombians the last 10 years immigrate to Canada for better opportunities.  Glad to see more diversity in our society and obviously team too.

Cav's parents are from Argentina. When Canada played Colombia under Floro, Oso missed the game. Can't remember if it was an injury or Floro did not pick him, but he was real disappointed.

Edited by Kadenge

4 hours ago, costarg said:

The guy was soo tired of getting burned, he wanted to throw is body across so Davies couldn't blow past him and steal the ball like he did a few times prior.  The pathetic part is trying to make it look like he was fouled.  

As much as he made a six-course buffet out of it, he was fouled, and Phonz deserved a yellow for SPA. The Laws of the Game do apply to our players, too.

Edited by SthMelbRed

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/mexico/nota/_/id/9328015/mexico-vs-canada-seleccion-ha-crecido-eliminatoria-concacaf

Opinion piece on ESPN Mexico website by a retired Mexican national team player and now analyst on ESPN Mexico. Basically saying that instead of traditionally analyzing only Mexican performance without even acknowledging the opponents, and dumping on them for the draw last night, it's time to acknowledge how much Canada has grown and give full credit to the team and manager.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

My new next door neighbours immigrated here from Columbia, they are really nice people and I assumed I would be chatting a lot of football with him, he doesn't follow it much at all, I assumed the whole country was soccer mad!😀