Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Crazy to say that this way 8 years ago today  . Not a lot of people know but Liam was soon CUT from The TFC academy for being to small.(some here do) ... to his credit he didn’t sulk or loose faith he put his head down and went to prove them wrong... 

sorry for sharing this but all players Are on a different pathway a different road and sometimes it’s good to share that things were never easy. People loose sight of that sometimes. He has a long way to go but has come so far !!
my message to all players is to never give up ...

14E78EDD-8534-41F8-AD60-6BD7588740A4.jpeg

113F22EA-AEE8-47D1-AE96-8660BD197B7A.jpeg

Edited by spitfire

3 hours ago, spitfire said:

Crazy to say that this way 8 years ago today  . Not a lot of people know but Liam was soon CUT from The TFC academy for being to small.(some here do) ... to his credit he didn’t sulk or loose faith he put his head down and went to prove them wrong... 

sorry for sharing this but all players Are on a different pathway a different road and sometimes it’s good to share that things were never easy. People loose sight of that sometimes. He has a long way to go but has come so far !!
my message to all players is to never give up ...

14E78EDD-8534-41F8-AD60-6BD7588740A4.jpeg

113F22EA-AEE8-47D1-AE96-8660BD197B7A.jpeg

Thank you for sharing, I think I speak for all of his when I say we are all rooting for him. He has so much potential and he can achieve great things

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

@spitfire how tall are you?

I'm still trying to fathom how you cut a guy loose because he's too small. Did they not expect that he would grow lol?

This is crazy Toronto comeup story. 

I’m 6 foot. Liam is now 6’1. 
he was 12. It was a shit show. Thomas Rongen  was the academy manager at the time and was looking for a certain type of player even at 12 Cut Ryan Raposo and a player named Ryan Khedoo( they called him mosquito) Liam and Ryan played for Burlington SC  khedoo played for Brampton  and where all very tidy technical players. Replaced them with big tall early developers...

Made no sense at the time and Liam signed a 3 year contract 9 months later with Fulham FC and then TFC tried to get comp from Fulham. yes really!!
I kept the release letter have it framed as a reminded to never give up... 

i hold  no Grudges to TFC  probably the best thing to happen to him. 

On a side note when we got to England and before we signed Fulham did a profile on  us (parents) height, weight, history of injuries(knees and stuff) athletic profile( I guess to give an indication of potential size)(just a one Page survey  nothing to serious) 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

@spitfire how tall are you?

I'm still trying to fathom how you cut a guy loose because he's too small. Did they not expect that he would grow lol?

This is crazy Toronto comeup story. 

Unfortunately this was  a very  common practice especially in rep soccer 10+ years ago in the GTA. Fast strong kids got selected over more technically skilled players. There are other factors but this was certainly one reason why we were not turning out the type of player that we now see being developed.  Sad but true.

Just now, Kadenge said:

Unfortunately this was  a very  common practice especially in rep soccer 10+ years ago in the GTA. Fast strong kids got selected over more technically skilled players. There are other factors but this was certainly one reason why we were not turning out the type of player that we now see being developed.  Sad but true.

I always tell myself this is the only reason why I did become professional player.  Makes me feel better at night.

28 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

"Can't teach height" was a line a TD at one of our local clubs used to say.

3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

The second you mentioned Rongen the story made a whole lot more sense. So glad he's gone.

Same. Rongen's got a deservedly terrible reputation in both Canada and the U.S. for being a terrible developer of youth. It's crazy how far he got as a coach based on having a Dutch accent and playing in the old NASL.

I will say that Rongen is great as a soccer media personality, though.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Yeah around 10 years ago I tried out for rep and while I was a bit raw from only playing house league, I felt like I should have made one of the teams for sure. I was short which probably screwed me over but I'm sure I was one of the fastest players there. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure one kid who wasn't able to attend the tryout made the team because they knew him, it's probably all politics but I'm still pissy about it.

Even though I was already like 13 at that point I still think I could have developed into a pretty good player, ah well.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Same. Rongen's got a deservedly terrible reputation in both Canada and the U.S. for being a terrible developer of youth. It's crazy how far he got as a coach based on having a Dutch accent and playing in the old NASL.

I will say that Rongen is great as a soccer media personality, though.

It is crazy. Also, it's a very American way of thinking (we used to see it in Germany as well).  Looking at Ajax (the proponent of Dutch youth development) it's exactly the other way around. Lot's of small, technical players and not a lot of giants. 

Wow, this thread has really brought out into the open some real deficiencies in our youth coaching systems, hopefully things have improved with more coaches being properly trained, there are also more than a few bitter posters on here who think they could have made it if they were taller, faster or could kick a ball a little further!😁

7 hours ago, gator said:

Wow, this thread has really brought out into the open some real deficiencies in our youth coaching systems, hopefully things have improved with more coaches being properly trained, there are also more than a few bitter posters on here who think they could have made it if they were taller, faster or could kick a ball a little further!😁

Most of us on this board would be playing professionally, and probably in Champion's League, if it weren't for our stupid youth coaches!

There are amazing coaches out there especially in Canada’s  youth system(Liam has a few great ones Rob S, Joey L Charles I and a few others)  these kids(Davies David etc..) didn’t get to where they are at n there own. Just more of an inspirational story of pushing through it not giving up  Not meant  bashing Canadian coaches. There are of course issues of bias and  Politics and we need to continue to grow but atm I think we are heading in the right direction Rome wasn’t built in a day and I think the future looks bright...