Liam Millar

Northvansteve

It's for the best honestly. Kilmarnock has been playing terrible football with basically every single player behind the ball and hanging on for dear life. They don't score goals because it doesn't seem like their manager wants them to. They had Liam playing in the wide midfield position of a 4-4-2 if i'm not mistaken 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

AWESOME!!!!!

I watched one game from Killy and honestly watching paint dry was more exciting.  Felt he was not being used properly at all, the benefit of that loan was he got to learn and live like a pro, held a starting spot and I am sure improved his defensive skills.

Really looking forward to his next move and hopefully he land on a spot where the manager actually uses his skill set.

Kilmarnock fans seem to be happy he's gone. While yes they've been boring to watch and not very good, Liam has yet to show he's a productive player at the professional level. A change of scenery might be good for him.

Also it seems still up in the air if he's a striker or a winger in the long term future.

Edited by VinceA

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Kilmarnock fans seem to be happy he's gone. While yes they've been boring to watch and not very good, Liam has yet to show he's a productive player at the professional level. A change of scenery might be good for him.

Also it seems still up in the air if he's a striker or a winger in the long term future.

Any fans will be happy when a player leaves who is not producing. Up to Liam now to go crush it at a different club.

To be fair, hard to produce when your team basically play 10 behind the ball. Agree change of scenery here should be a good thing... it's a mini hurdle/obstacle for him, in his young pro career, hope he plows through it and ends up in the right environment for him.

29 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The vast majority of the killie fans are sad to see him go sorry. Have a look on twitter look at liams post. im the first to admit we would have liked more output for sure but very tough in a team that hasn’t won in 11 hasn’t scored in 6 and he was playing in a very defensive 451 as a left mid really. He did the best he did. He fought and leaned the best way possible. 

the truth be told is he is a 20 year old footballer on his first loan who managed in on year to get 35 pro appearances under his belt earning a starting place in a very tough physical SPFL The purpose of his loan was get experience mins and toughness which he did. 

now he returns for a reset and regroup and possibly heads out again if possible hopefully to a championship team...or try to get involved with the first team sqUad. 
A welcome challenge for sure but one that’s up to him..

38 minutes ago, spitfire said:

The vast majority of the killie fans are sad to see him go sorry. Have a look on twitter look at liams post. im the first to admit we would have liked more output for sure but very tough in a team that hasn’t won in 11 hasn’t scored in 6 and he was playing in a very defensive 451 as a left mid really. He did the best he did. He fought and leaned the best way possible. 

the truth be told is he is a 20 year old footballer on his first loan who managed in on year to get 35 pro appearances under his belt earning a starting place in a very tough physical SPFL The purpose of his loan was get experience mins and toughness which he did. 

now he returns for a reset and regroup and possibly heads out again if possible hopefully to a championship team...or try to get involved with the first team sqUad. 

@VinceATo echo this, I follow him on Instagram and 99% of the comments are positive with most fans wishing him good luck, thanking him for the service, and letting him know he's always welcome back to the club.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Weren’t there very positive stats recently about the amount of dribbles he was having in the league? Albeit on a very defensive and underperforming team.

So unless you have been watching the games and know something the rest of us don’t, “yet to show he’s a productive player at the professional level” seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Of course it’s easy to look at his lack of goals, jump to conclusions and wish for more but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t contributed in other ways.

And a few disgruntled fans on twitter supporting a struggling team shouldn’t be the barometer of objectivity. 

Unforunately we haven’t got a great look at the kid with the national team because of stiff competition.

Apologies in advance if you’ve been watching him week in and week out. 

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

4-5 months training with the current best club side in the world couldn't hurt Liam in the long term. The massive question has to be is he returning to Melwood or to Kirkby? If it's Melwood, I would suggest staying put for the rest of the season. If it's Kirkby, another loan would be best.

27 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Why not a loan to MLS? I think the championship might be too high of a level at this moment. League 1? 

I think the level of MLS is right for Liam, but I also see a few problems.

First of all, a 6-month loan means he leaves in the summer, which could entice the club to try and make his loan permanent. Like Eustaquio, I view Millar's ceiling as too high for Major League Soccer, so I really don't want him to get roped into playing over here. Brooks Lennon comes to mind...

A season long loan is awkward because he then has to wait until January 2021. Zachary Brault-guillard comes to mind....

I would much rather a loan to the English Championship or possibly a team on the continent, maybe Belgium or Holland or Portugal. Wasn't there a Portugese club interested before he signed a first-team contract at Liverpool? 

Now that he's proven he can play at the pro level, I think some first division mid-table clubs outside of the top 5 could be interested in bringing him in on loan. 

As for League one, it would depend on the team, but unless they are pushing for promotion it is probably a step down from Kilmarnock.

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think the level of MLS is right for Liam, but I also see a few problems.

First of all, a 6-month loan means he leaves in the summer, which could entice the club to try and make his loan permanent. Like Eustaquio, I view Millar's ceiling as too high for Major League Soccer, so I really don't want him to get roped into playing over here. Brooks Lennon comes to mind...

A season long loan is awkward because he then has to wait until January 2021. Zachary Brault-guillard comes to mind....

I would much rather a loan to the English Championship or possibly a team on the continent, maybe Belgium or Holland or Portugal. Wasn't there a Portugese club interested before he signed a first-team contract at Liverpool? 

Now that he's proven he can play at the pro level, I think some first division mid-table clubs outside of the top 5 could be interested in bringing him in on loan. 

As for League one, it would depend on the team, but unless they are pushing for promotion it is probably a step down from Kilmarnock.

I'd rate the upper level league 1 teams above Kilmarnock. Kilmarnock is pretty awful this year. Maybe Liverpool will just sell him outright? He's behind guys so many wingers I can't see him having a future at Liverpool which is no shame that's the best team in the world right now. 

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I'd rate the upper level league 1 teams above Kilmarnock. Kilmarnock is pretty awful this year. Maybe Liverpool will just sell him outright? He's behind guys so many wingers I can't see him having a future at Liverpool which is no shame that's the best team in the world right now. 

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of. I can see Liam going to MLS and doing well enough to trigger an offer and Liverpool could just take the money. Like you say, they have a lot of good players on the books and if they can turn a tidy little profit (by their standards) on Millar, why not?

The flip side is that Millar could pull a Zirkzee, score on his Liverpool debut, and force the Reds to keep him around for a bit. You never know with these things. Sometimes players just need a chance.

That's why I think staying at Liverpool for the remainder of the season wouldn't be the worst idea if the right loan doesn't materialize. They have the FA cup but they are also well ahead in the league and should they win it early Millar could find himself on the bench or even better...

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of. I can see Liam going to MLS and doing well enough to trigger an offer and Liverpool could just take the money. Like you say, they have a lot of good players on the books and if they can turn a tidy little profit (by their standards) on Millar, why not?

The flip side is that Millar could pull a Zirkzee, score on his Liverpool debut, and force the Reds to keep him around for a bit. You never know with these things. Sometimes players just need a chance.

That's why I think staying at Liverpool for the remainder of the season wouldn't be the worst idea if the right loan doesn't materialize. They have the FA cup but they are also well ahead in the league and should they win it early Millar could find himself on the bench or even better...

I'm a Liverpool fan and obviously I want Canadians to do well. In the fa cup Liverpool still had Shaqiri origi and minamino who would start up top with Elliot on the bench. Curtis Jones who just scored vs Everton can also play left wing. I just can't see him playing barring multiple injuries. 

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I'm a Liverpool fan and obviously I want Canadians to do well. In the fa cup Liverpool still had Shaqiri origi and minamino who would start up top with Elliot on the bench. Curtis Jones who just scored vs Everton can also play left wing. I just can't see him playing barring multiple injuries. 

I admit it is a big stretch, but my point was that stranger things have happened. My point wasn't that I expect him to get into the Liverpool team. I don't see it happening either, but I also never saw Zirkzee going 2 for 2 with Bayern before the winter break. Weird things happen, that's all I am trying to say here.

I agree that Liams loan spell at Killie was a bit underwhelming.. that being said I dont rate teams outside of Celtic and Rangers, while I do still rate Liam as one of our top prospects at this point. I think a change of scenery and a coach who deploys him properly will do wonders for the kid and will remind us all why Steven Gerrard held him to high regard in Liverpools youth system