Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Of course there are great coaches, but we are still lagging behind by quite a bit. It's a lot better now than it was when I first started playing ~20 years ago, but there are other issues now. I have a lot of sympathy for many coaches -- it was (is?) not uncommon for a coach to be a parent who stepped up and volunteered because there was no one else, and there would be no team without them.

At the top levels, however, there is no excuse.

• 3 months later...

Yeah he has made his first team debut for Liverpool...about time but I don't see how he gets playing time especially with a team the likes of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Minamino, Origi, Keita, etc

Such a loaded team

Edited by TGAA_Star

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Also seems Liverpool is shipping out a group of midfielders to make room for Timo Werner. Thinking it could maybe open a spot in the 18 for Liam. At the very least move him up the depth chart

If that is the case, then that's good

I would love for Millar to make a break through at Liverpool, but it is hard kinda hard to imagine right now. However, he is making steps in the right direction and keeping himself in the mix when it comes to the most likely prospects to graduate as a full-time first team player.

It wasn't that long ago that Trent Alexander-Arnold took that path. Sometimes players just need a chance. 

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would love for Millar to make a break through at Liverpool, but it is hard kinda hard to imagine right now. However, he is making steps in the right direction and keeping himself in the mix when it comes to the most likely prospects to graduate as a full-time first team player.

It wasn't that long ago that Trent Alexander-Arnold took that path. Sometimes players just need a chance. 

Yeah they do need a chance but will Klopp give him that chance? I mean of course naturally I want to see Millar get minutes at Liverpool but with a super team the likes of Salah, Mane, Firmino, etc. he will get knocked down the packing order

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

As much as I hate to say it, I can't see Liam making it as a Liverpool regular. Never mind all of the current senior squad that are firmly in front of him, he's also competing against Rhian Brewster, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Curtis Jones, and Harvey Elliot for positions, all of whom are his age or younger, and higher-rated prospects. That doesn't even include a couple of other academy prospects that are likely higher on the chart than Liam. Liam needs to be absorbing everything he can from training under world-class coaches and with world-class players and be ready for an opportunity to jump to an ambitious Championship team where he'll have a more realistic shot at first-team games. 

For the record, I think that, other than Elliot and Jones, who are both going to be absolute belters, all of the other prospects on the above list are also going to have to leave Liverpool to further their careers within the next 12-18 months, even with players like Shaqiri and Lallana moving on.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

As much as I hate to say it, I can't see Liam making it as a Liverpool regular. Never mind all of the current senior squad that are firmly in front of him, he's also competing against Rhian Brewster, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Curtis Jones, and Harvey Elliot for positions, all of whom are his age or younger, and higher-rated prospects. That doesn't even include a couple of other academy prospects that are likely higher on the chart than Liam. Liam needs to be absorbing everything he can from training under world-class coaches and with world-class players and be ready for an opportunity to jump to an ambitious Championship team where he'll have a more realistic shot at first-team games. 

For the record, I think that, other than Elliot and Jones, who are both going to be absolute belters, all of the other prospects on the above list are also going to have to leave Liverpool to further their careers within the next 12-18 months, even with players like Shaqiri and Lallana moving on.

Best thing for him especially at this point would be leaving Liverpool to go to a squad where he will actually get playing time 

As much as I think Liam has potential to be a decent pro and maybe even a very very good pro, it’s not like he was a stand out on any of the teams he was loaned to. Therefore, I just don’t see him sticking with Liverpool. He was loaned to levels way below the EPL standards and didn’t really stand out. Maybe a move to Belgians top league would be a great fit to just see at what level he is really at at the moment . Saying all that look the guy is still young and has shown potential and in the end I think will be a starter and a main part of the national team for many years to come.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

As much as I think Liam has potential to be a decent pro and maybe even a very very good pro, it’s not like he was a stand out on any of the teams he was loaned to. Therefore, I just don’t see him sticking with Liverpool. He was loaned to levels way below the EPL standards and didn’t really stand out. Maybe a move to Belgians top league would be a great fit to just see at what level he is really at at the moment . Saying all that look the guy is still young and has shown potential and in the end I think will be a starter and a main part of the national team for many years to come.

Belgian League, but which team would he be a fit on? Or they can always send him to Turkish league because that is another Canadian hot spot

On 5/22/2020 at 3:05 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Best thing for him especially at this point would be leaving Liverpool to go to a squad where he will actually get playing time 

The backbone of our MNT used to made up with guys playing mid table in Scotland and the English Second Tier. No need for him to leave Britain, necessarily. If he's good enough he'll prove it, though, and is unlikely to be gifted minutes no matter where he goes at this point.

22 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Belgian League, but which team would he be a fit on? Or they can always send him to Turkish league because that is another Canadian hot spot

Turkey is a Canadian hot spot? Huh? Atiba is the only Canadian playing there. That’s the last place I’d send Liam. 

The thing with him is he works hard and seems to be very versatile but at some point he needs to translate his youth numbers into the pro game. The lack of consistency hurts him too. The last thing he needs is to go into the loan mill never having a chance to grow long term in one place.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:46 AM, spitfire said:

It's definitely a double-edged sword being a young player at Liverpool at the minute. While Liam's certainly benefiting from world-class coaching and training regularly with some of the best players around, he's also trying to break into one of the top 5 best teams in Europe right now. There are a lot easier teams to break into.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:46 AM, spitfire said:

If there was a plan and I'm saying this as a very big if because I don't see it and I can't see it but let's say for sake of argument you're right and they do decide to take a chance on him, it won't really much matter. Why? He is going to constantly be overshadowed by his teammates who are not only world class but are in form too but also are proven stars. Liam is not proven.

In terms of pecking order, he will always be low on it. If he goes elsewhere, he will get playing time and a chance to prove himself.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's definitely a double-edged sword being a young player at Liverpool at the minute. While Liam's certainly benefiting from world-class coaching and training regularly with some of the best players around, he's also trying to break into one of the top 5 best teams in Europe right now. There are a lot easier teams to break into.

Exactly...took the words right out of my mouth 

47 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If there was a plan and I'm saying this as a very big if because I don't see it and I can't see it but let's say for sake of argument you're right and they do decide to take a chance on him, it won't really much matter. Why? He is going to constantly be overshadowed by his teammates who are not only world class but are in form too but also are proven stars. Liam is not proven.

In terms of pecking order, he will always be low on it. If he goes elsewhere, he will get playing time and a chance to prove himself.

Considering that’s his goddamn father, I’d say it’s not “a very big if” about there being a plan. You’re speculating on something you know nothing about.