Liam Millar

Northvansteve

• 2 weeks later...

Being 100% real, I had never spent much time watching lower table Bundesliga teams and now that I have I wasnt really over impressed. Sure you want to shine and it's hard to shine when your team is defending for 90 minutes against Bayern but there will be many games against comparable teams when can you do your thing 

4 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Liverpool had players on loan with Hertha Berlin, Stuttgart and Mainz this past season. Mainz is Klopp’s former club and he still maintains a good relationship with them.

I highly recommend the Klopp documentary, the Mainz story is great. 

Also have to say I watched Mainz a few matches this season and liked how they play, for me it'd be a great fit. 

I don't know man.. I must be missing something here. He couldn't cut it in a mid tier Scottish team. Am I supposed to believe he'll cut it in a even more difficult situation? I think the Bundesliga is a bet of a stretch for him right now. England second tier is possibly more realistic for him.

12 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I don't know man.. I must be missing something here. He couldn't cut it in a mid tier Scottish team. Am I supposed to believe he'll cut it in a even more difficult situation? I think the Bundesliga is a bet of a stretch for him right now. England second tier is possibly more realistic for him.

Mo Salah and kdb couldn't cut it at Chelsea and now look at them. 

25 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Was this because he often failed to score? He certainly got a lot of minutes in Scotland, so he was good enough to play and cause problems for his opponents. I recall that he would often come on in the second half and make a difference.

I don't want to make excuses for him, because he should have scored more, but part of scoring goals is having your teammates create chances for you. Maybe he wasn't getting support in this sense? It wasn't like he was missing sitters. The fans seemed to like him a lot, for what it's worth. 

Also, his second loan was cut short as he wanted to return to Liverpool. It was said the style of play was not helping his development. 

Just his Canada play alone suggests to me a Bundesliga move isn't far fetched. It wasn't that long ago he made his debut against New Zealand and was the best player by far. Even more recently he made his Liverpool senior debut in the FA cup. 

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Was this because he often failed to score? He certainly got a lot of minutes in Scotland, so he was good enough to play and cause problems for his opponents. I recall that he would often come on in the second half and make a difference.

I don't want to make excuses for him, because he should have scored more, but part of scoring goals is having your teammates create chances for you. Maybe he wasn't getting support in this sense? It wasn't like he was missing sitters. The fans seemed to like him a lot, for what it's worth. 

Also, his second loan was cut short as he wanted to return to Liverpool. It was said the style of play was not helping his development.   

Eh, some of the games I saw he wasn't doing himself any favours. He lost his spot mid way and I think there's a reason for that.

I saw mixed reception with the fans. To be honest a lot of them have the same complains i had, which was pretty poor end product all around.

8 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Eh, some of the games I saw he wasn't doing himself any favours. He lost his spot mid way and I think there's a reason for that.

I saw mixed reception with the fans. To be honest a lot of them have the same complains i had, which was pretty poor end product all around.

Fair enough. Do you mind expanding on that? I don't seem to recall much of a mixed reception, but it could be confirmation bias on my part. What were some of the complaints you recall from the Killie fans?

By poor end product do you mean lack of finishing moreso or poor crosses from out wide? Equal parts maybe?

Thanks!

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Colliedor said:

Well for me, 2 goals in 28 games and leaving before it's finished isn't exactly the most successful loan spells you could ask for. Personally.

Was he missing a lot of chances or was his team not creating chances for him and/or he wasn't creating them enough for himself? Something in between perhaps?

I didn’t watch many of his games at Killie but it’s hard to say he failed just because he didn’t score enough when he wasn’t playing as a striker. He was playing as a wide midfielder with a lot of defensive responsibility. I kind of agree that maybe he isn’t ready for Bundesliga but I wouldn’t say he failed at Killie or that he won’t score more goals in the future. My hope is that wherever he goes next, he gets playing time in a system that allows him to push forward and play attacking football.

I don’t think one should write off Liam because of the Killie stint but I do think it’s fair to assess his performance as underwhelming.

i read the main Killie online forum a lot to track comments on Liam and I would say overall the feelings were pretty positive. They liked his fearlessness and ability to take defenders on. Still, the lack of end product is difficult to ignore. Some of that was the style of play which most Killie fans bemoaned at the time in fairness. Liam wasn’t exactly being spoon fed sitter after sitter.

That being said I’m surprised a B1 team would be looking at him without proving anything at a decent level. I thought the English Championship or even League 1 were much more realistic options 

Edited by Floortom

I didn't follow the forums as likely during his second stint, but for the first loan the fans loved him. I recall some games him being called the motm.  Im not surprised a Bundeslida team would be interested. He has way better team attachments than Davies prior to his Bayern move and he is arguably just as quick. Why wouldn't one of them take a shot with him?

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think one should write off Liam because of the Killie stint but I do think it’s fair to assess his performance as underwhelming.

i read the main Killie online forum a lot to track comments on Liam and I would say overall the feelings were pretty positive. They liked his fearlessness and ability to take defenders on. Still, the lack of end product is difficult to ignore. Some of that was the style of play which most Killie fans bemoaned at the time in fairness. Liam wasn’t exactly being spoon fed sitter after sitter.

That being said I’m surprised a B1 team would be looking at him without proving anything at a decent level. I thought the English Championship or even League 1 were much more realistic options 

I think it is on the strength of his Liverpool affiliation. I was a little surprised as well, but when multiple B1 clubs are interested it maybe says something.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Was he missing a lot of chances or was his team not creating chances for him and/or he wasn't creating them enough for himself? Something in between perhaps?

Both. Should make it clear that his team truly did look bad. But I'm personally not going to let him off the hook too.

At least in the games that I saw, he never got overly involved. Was never really involved in creating the bigger chances. His dribbling, although flashy, isn't the most effective at times, but ya I would say his biggest problem was end product. Crossing and shooting needs serious work in particular. I can only hope these things were worked on during this long break.