Liam Millar

Northvansteve

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-north-end-transfer-news-sunderland-liam-millar-ryan-lowe-4606955

PNE don’t sound entirely convinced they can make a permanent move for him because of fees- mentions competition from other clubs, Basel might want too much, but regardless, they want to bring in the same type of player next year. Says he thinks he can be playing champions league or Europa within the next few seasons. 

Sunderland keeps popping up as having interest. Wonder if there are any other suitors out there.

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-north-end-transfer-news-sunderland-liam-millar-ryan-lowe-4606955

PNE don’t sound entirely convinced they can make a permanent move for him because of fees- mentions competition from other clubs, Basel might want too much, but regardless, they want to bring in the same type of player next year. Says he thinks he can be playing champions league or Europa within the next few seasons. 

Sunderland keeps popping up as having interest. Wonder if there are any other suitors out there.

There are a few 🤫🤫

Seemed to be very settled at PNE and had a strong season. I don't know if I would go as far as saying he outgrew them, but the general consensus seems to be that he grew into one of their most dangerous players as the season went on. 

@spitfire I know you can't drop info publicly but I just hope some of the interest is coming from top 5 leagues or the biggest clubs in the secondary leagues, those who will provide Champions League or Europa League football. 

Going to a stronger Championship side, or even staying at PNE, would be a good move in my books, but I am really hoping there is a Premier League club willing to bring him in. I just don't want him going back to Basel. 

I also see Sunderland are just below Watford, so mid table. Another season in the Championship, this time with Sunderland, would be fine, but hopefully there is a better opportunity.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He cooked Leeds both games this year. If they’re going back up to the prem, I mean last time it didn’t work with the Americans, perhaps it’s time to try the Canadians? 

We're all Americans as far as the Brits are concerned :)

In all seriousness though, a promoted Leeds is exactly the type of club I want to see take a chance on Millar. No reason why he couldn't go there and contribute off the bench in the Premier League, in my view.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

In all seriousness though, a promoted Leeds is exactly the type of club I want to see take a chance on Millar. No reason why he couldn't go there and contribute off the bench in the Premier League, in my view.

A number of older school English think all Americans hate them because they (the Americans) are pretty much all Irish. 

Not that it meant they automatically were pleasant - they were generally miserable bastards - but they did make the distinction.

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even non promoted, they’ll be back soon enough and might not be a bad spot. I’ve seen a lot of their fans on Twitter lament on how Millar made their so-called “prem quality players” look so bad. I think their supporters would certainly welcome him if he was available. Probably have a bigger budget than PNE if Basel prices him out of their range. 

Posted (edited)

I know @spitfire doesn't like it but on the right team and with the system, he has all the making of a great wingback.  Works hard on defence and can cause all kind of problems being the wide man offensively. Pace to get up and down. 

(Maybe its the name, just call it a wide midfielder in a 352/343?)

I look at two coaches I like Gary (O'Wall) O'Neil at Wolves and Oliver Glasner at Crystal Palace.  Both have played up tempo teams with 3 at the back at times, their wingbacks/midfielders (on the right unfortunately) are getting older.  Maybe start as depth there.  I can dream for him. 

Edit: That said, I just read that another manager I like Will Still (living every FM players dream) is linked with the Sunderland job.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Made an end of season post on instagram, written like a farewell post.

Any chance he finishes the season with Basel now that PNE’s season is over? I think he could only move back during the transfer window, but Basel have 4 games left and could use him. Would feel a bit weird to see him back in a Basel kit after the season he’s had though. 

43 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Made an end of season post on instagram, written like a farewell post.

Any chance he finishes the season with Basel now that PNE’s season is over? I think he could only move back during the transfer window, but Basel have 4 games left and could use him. Would feel a bit weird to see him back in a Basel kit after the season he’s had though. 

I see lots of Championship team fans saying he would be a great transfer for the summer.  Has to make it back to the people with actual money, you would think. 

It would be disappointing to see him return to Switzerland, for me. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I see lots of Championship team fans saying he would be a great transfer for the summer.  Has to make it back to the people with actual money, you would think. 

QPR fans have been mentioning him even going as far as calling Marc Bircham to use some influence😀 I don't follow the finances of sport closely but I do know QPR are in a much better position now that they are out of FFP restrictions and are looking to bolster the side! There is a progressive younger Spanish manager who worked wonders when he came in and saved the club from relegation, Liam would be a perfect fit in the Blue & White hoops!

2 hours ago, gator said:

QPR fans have been mentioning him even going as far as calling Marc Bircham to use some influence😀 I don't follow the finances of sport closely but I do know QPR are in a much better position now that they are out of FFP restrictions and are looking to bolster the side! There is a progressive younger Spanish manager who worked wonders when he came in and saved the club from relegation, Liam would be a perfect fit in the Blue & White hoops!

That's Martí Cifuentes, who never played and was coaching lower tier and semi pro around Barcelona already in his early 20s. Noone in Spain knows who he is.

Other Spanish managers, apparently, have also shown interest in Liam.

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's Martí Cifuentes, who never played and was coaching lower tier and semi pro around Barcelona already in his early 20s. Noone in Spain knows who he is.

Other Spanish managers, apparently, have also shown interest in Liam.

He did an amazing job at QPR, came from Hammarby in Sweden, relatively unknown in English football, QPR were 6 points away from safety when he took over and finished 6 points clear of relegation, all of this with a very limited squad due to FFP! He was able to adapt quickly to The Championship, the players bought in to what he wanted to do and it obviously worked!

12 hours ago, gator said:

He did an amazing job at QPR, came from Hammarby in Sweden, relatively unknown in English football, QPR were 6 points away from safety when he took over and finished 6 points clear of relegation, all of this with a very limited squad due to FFP! He was able to adapt quickly to The Championship, the players bought in to what he wanted to do and it obviously worked!

Very smart signing then, and risky, since you would not think a manager of an upper table Sweden team with no pedigree whatsoever would be the guy you'd sign. 

I think Cifuentes is one of those guys who decided he wanted to a football manager around age 20, maybe inspired by those few (only?) examples like Mourinho, and set out to make it his profession. There are quite a few more in women's football, like Herdman, as it happens, guys who are professional coaches and hardly played. But very few making an entire career coaching men's.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Very smart signing then, and risky, since you would not think a manager of an upper table Sweden team with no pedigree whatsoever would be the guy you'd sign. 

I think Cifuentes is one of those guys who decided he wanted to a football manager around age 20, maybe inspired by those few (only?) examples like Mourinho, and set out to make it his profession. There are quite a few more in women's football, like Herdman, as it happens, guys who are professional coaches and hardly played. But very few making an entire career coaching men's.

Within 20 years, I bet this is the norm- The NFL and NBA are both pivoting towards career coaches over ex players and as sporting becomes more analytical and tactical, it just won’t make sense to hire a guy with no coaching experience but a respected playing career vs. A guy who is 45 with 23 years of professional experience. Guys like Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Will Still, even Wilfrid Nancy are going to be what teams are looking towards. 

Even Herdman, despite how it ended with Canada, despite Toronto having a difficult season, and probably a difficult next season too, he could still stay in MLS for a decade and move to Europe at a relatively young age and be an attractive target. 

Almost all players at least the ones in premiership academy’s are all doing coaching badges as part of their college/scholar program Liam has completed his UEFA B recently … 

just a counter point Peo, Jurgen Pochetino Moyes Ferguson Arteta…all had pretty good coaching (and playing careers) I guess in the end it’s the individual really…

19 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Meant more to play out the end of this season- Basel have 4 games I think. Unsure if the transfer expiration was set to end of the championship season or the start of the summer transfer window. Assuming it’s the latter. Definitely hope his chapter in Switzerland has been firmly closed though. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Meant more to play out the end of this season- Basel have 4 games I think. Unsure if the transfer expiration was set to end of the championship season or the start of the summer transfer window. Assuming it’s the latter. Definitely hope his chapter in Switzerland has been firmly closed though. 

The loan is until June 30th…he won’t be returning to Basel this summer. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

He has a few weeks off before internationals (if selected)

it will be a tense summer as todays he’s put basically his whole life in storage (we are babysitting today while it’s packed up) and now wait to see where he ends up next season… part of a footballers life we never see.. transfer windows are great fun for the fans but very stressful for most involved..

19 minutes ago, spitfire said:

The loan is until June 30th…he won’t be returning to Basel this summer. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

He has a few weeks off before internationals (if selected)

it will be a tense summer as todays he’s put basically his whole life in storage (we are babysitting today while it’s packed up) and now wait to see where he ends up next season… part of a footballers life we never see.. transfer windows are great fun for the fans but very stressful for most involved..

Would make for a great doc...if only we knew someone in the film and tv industry ;)

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Then where can Millar go? I hope it's the Premier League or Ligue 1