Liam Millar

Northvansteve

If the goal for Liam is a top flight league (which is what I think we all agree he has the potential for) I actually think that the 'level' of the league Liam is loaned out at this stage is less important than the 'style of play' of that league. I think for Liam to develop his strengths and demonstrate his talent that he should be in a league and team that match his killer skill-set. For example, Liam noted in fall interviews of having to adjust to a league where 'the ball is in the air a lot of the time' - which is not going to be the case when he moves to a top league. Put another way: just cause a player does well (or poorly) in a route one football league/team does not mean they will perform that way in a league/team that keeps the ball on the ground most of the time. Liam's numbers from LFC academy were incredible, partly because he suited that style of play (ball on the ground football) and was surrounded by players that suited that play also. The goal now, I think, is to prove he can reproduce his academy form in a faster, stronger, quicker thinking, more tactical situation.. with a team/league with that style of play. 

36 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember @spitfire saying a while back that Liam had an offer from Porto too (can't remember if it was a buy or loan), but Liga Nos would be a great league for a player like him to develop in. 

As a Porto fan, I don't see that happening. Those positions are kinda filled up at the moment, unless someone leaves.

He really isn't Porto quality. No where near. The bottom tier teams is a much more realistic destination, but even like that I doubt it. They only look for players on free transfers and tend to pick up Portuguese or Brazilian players.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

4-5 months training with the current best club side in the world couldn't hurt Liam in the long term. The massive question has to be is he returning to Melwood or to Kirkby? If it's Melwood, I would suggest staying put for the rest of the season. If it's Kirkby, another loan would be best.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's why I think staying at Liverpool for the remainder of the season wouldn't be the worst idea if the right loan doesn't materialize. They have the FA cup but they are also well ahead in the league and should they win it early Millar could find himself on the bench or even better...

From a completely selfish perspective, if he stayed at Liverpool, that would increase his chances of being available for Olympic qualifying.

Good for his development?  Debatable.

Would make El Hombre happy?  Most definitely.

And isn't that what's most important?

31 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

From a completely selfish perspective, if he stayed at Liverpool, that would increase his chances of being available for Olympic qualifying.

If every team continues to gain points at their current pace, Liverpool would clinch the league with 7 matches remaining in the season. If a young winger who'd been training like a demon for 3 months without reward of playing time, at that point, was allowed substitute appearances in 5 of those 7 remaining games...Premier League winner's medal! 😁

16 hours ago, El Hombre said:

From an even more selfish perspective, would be cool if he signed with the Whitecaps so I could watch a budding CMNT star in the flesh. Then springboard him to a big club that he can handle after a season (Alphonso Davies style).

Don’t @ me, as the kids say

23 hours ago, El Hombre said:

if he stayed at Liverpool, that would increase his chances of being available for Olympic qualifying.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:19 PM, spitfire said:

he returns for a reset and regroup and possibly heads out again if possible hopefully to a championship team...or try to get involved with the first team sqUad.

@spitfire If he is loaned out again, can you negotiate as part of the contract a release clause for Olympic Qualifying? Is that a thing?

41 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@spitfire If he is loaned out again, can you negotiate as part of the contract a release clause for Olympic Qualifying? Is that a thing?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Millar now. 

I have the feeling he'll be playing somewhere in Europe and be involved with the senior team in March, especially if the camp is in Europe.

That said, it may be better for both Liam in Canada if he participated in the Olympic Qualifying. It gives him a platform to be one of the team stars. That responsibility might bring the best out of Millar. He was one of the best players in Liverpool academy coming up and I bet he'd relish the opportunity to be the "guy" again. 

Same can be said about Tabla for that matter, despite both players seemingly going in opposite directions at the moment...

On 1/10/2020 at 3:42 AM, Mikmacdo said:

Klopp suggests #LFC's other young players won't be following Rhian Brewster in securing loan moves: "At this moment I don't see anyone who would benefit more from a loan than staying with us."

God it's easy to dream of Liam making his Liverpool debut when I read that. Liverpool are on an absolute torrid pace and if they go deep again in UCL they'll be rotating their squad in the EPL.

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Happy for Liam to be back amongst the goals. The football Kilmanock were playing was pretty dire at times.  Be good for his confidence. Come back and get a reset. ....

😁

Not sure if you can disclose this, but you think there is a chance Liam gets a to play in the FA Cup on Jan. 26????..

Keeping an aye, lol!!!!... Again, I personally wanna thank you for all your continued updates/news on Liam's development as a professional footballer as he makes his way through Liverpool's system!!!!

Best wishes from my side to both of you and let Liam know, lol!!! 👍🏿

Edited by CANMNT_SUPERFAN

• 2 weeks later...

The truth be told Klopp didn’t want a replay they have enough fixtures to play ( Newcastle drew with oxford yesterday and now have a replay)  so he has picked a strong team with Salah and Firmino  on the bench
Liam  has been back 2 weeks has 2 goals in 2.25 games for the 23s including a 60 yard worldie vs United.(if only I could share the video!)  and has been training in and around the first team. 
it takes time to break into one of the best teams in the world especially after playing in the SPFL. The level even in training is a million miles apart. 

his job is to be patient work hard and take it all in. Atm LFC are assessing options for staying or going back out on loan. I trust the people at LFC to know what’s best for Liam. 
if LFC can win the league early there is talk internally of possibly more of the young players getting opportunities later in the Premier league season. We forget that he has been at Liverpool FC now for 4 years... every pathway is different.. We will see what happens but I hold out hope for a debut but who knows...