Liam Millar

Northvansteve

29 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Could he stick around Liverpool for the next fa cup game and then get loaned to a team like TFC where the window is open later? They also need a left winger. 

TFC have plenty of young wingers and I doubt Liam wants to go there on loan anyways. Doesn't seem like a good fit.

If I am Vanney I want those minutes going to the youngsters already at the club. You ideally want to develop your own assets and not someone else's.

And if I was to bring someone in on loan, it would be someone experienced (like Benezet) who you can possibly buy afterwards. 

However, I don't see Millar being sold to TFC, no way. To be fair I would trust Liam as CF depth ahead of that American guy though. I can't even remember his name, that's how little I think of him as a player. That said, I don't think it makes sense for either party at the moment.

I think a loan to a Championship team would be best, so long as he has a good chance of getting minutes.

Edited by Obinna

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Is Millar at Championship level?  I think he should be looking for a loan to League One or MLS if anything.  

It's a good question. If he can secure a lone before the window closes we may have an answer to that.

I personally think he can hold his own in the English Championship right now.

Yes he did not produce the goals we expected in the SPL, but he was clearly  quite valuable to Kilmonarck. He played a lot of minutes and opposing teams would double team him, kick him, and basically do what they could to slow him down. In a way it worked, because he didn't have the output we expected.

I very much doubt he would attract that sort of attention in the  English Championship. It's a higher level of soccer and with all due respect to Liam I don't think he'll be a key player at any team at the moment.

But that is perfectly okay. I think he needs to just come in and give a club some depth for the remainder of the season.

He is definitely good enough to come off the bench and help a Championship team. The reason I believe that is because he did that for Canada at the international level.

Let's not forget he has always been reliable coming off the bench for us in International matches. He has never looked lost or ineffective, if anything he has always given us a spark late in games. And we are now a decent international side.

If he can do that at the International level for a team like Canada, he should be able to do that for a team in the English Championship. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

if anything he has always given us a spark 

This is exactly what i felt every time i've seen him play.  He might not score or change the game, but you know he came on and he always looks dangerous with the ball.  You feel something will happen when he's on the pitch.  I wanna see him play Championship level, not MLS.

It looks like Liam's in a bit of a Catch-22 situation, here.

1. If he stays at Liverpool for 2 weeks, there's a decent chance he gets to play in the FA Cup 4th round replay at Anfield vs Shrewesbury, likely to be seen all over the world on TV. However....

2. If he stays to play in that one match, he misses the deadline for a loan move to a Football League club, likely meaning that he's restricted to U23 football for the rest of the season.

What's a young guy to do?

15 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It looks like Liam's in a bit of a Catch-22 situation, here.

1. If he stays at Liverpool for 2 weeks, there's a decent chance he gets to play in the FA Cup 4th round replay at Anfield vs Shrewesbury, likely to be seen all over the world on TV. However....

2. If he stays to play in that one match, he misses the deadline for a loan move to a Football League club, likely meaning that he's restricted to U23 football for the rest of the season.

What's a young guy to do?

Stay 100%.  It sounds like an absolute that he will get a first team debut.

Stay, play in the FA cup, continue to play u23s and hope that Liverpool clinches early and continues in CL and FA cup so he can play EPL.  

A Liverpool academy graduate with a first team appearance on this current squad will open just about every door for him. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Stay 100%.  It sounds like an absolute that he will get a first team debut.

Stay, play in the FA cup, continue to play u23s and hope that Liverpool clinches early and continues in CL and FA cup so he can play EPL.  

A Liverpool academy graduate with a first team appearance on this current squad will open just about every door for him. 

No way. It would be foolish to turn down a good loan opportunity to play in what has become a training match. His football resume isn't going to change as a result of this game. All it will do is allow us supporters to say we had someone play for Liverpool (albeit with an asterisk). By all means, if a loan doesn't happen, it will be great to see him on the field. But I don't think that is best long term. 

As for what makes for a good loan - up to Liam and team.  My point is that I think it is far from 100% good to stay. 

Case by case decision on to stay or go everytime.

Comes down to both what the club/organization/coach want from him, combined with what is best for the player. 

We can go back and forth on this topic, just look at the Davies thread. The board was almost equally divided on should he stay at Bayern or should he go on loan at Bayern, and that was the summer transfer window 8 months ago. 

Not an exact example but gives you the picture of "case by case". 

Me personally.... I think both could work, whichever one happens,  I hope he crushes it and works out for him. 

55 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I'd rather he stays at Liverpool imo. The training sessions alone of being surrounded by all that talent should be crucial for a developing player. 

This is key. If Liam will be at Melwood for the rest of the season, he'd be mad to go out on loan. If he's largely going to be based at Kirkby, I reckon a Championship loan would be best. Any insight on that @spitfire?

It seems if Liverpool win their next 8 games they win the league. That would mean they'd be champions by April 11th.

There would be 6 remaining games against Aston Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle remaining. 

What are the chances Millar doesn't get into any of those games? 

I don't know if Klopp would take his foot off the gas or try to break every record. It could also depend on how they do in champions league. Best case for Liam is if they keep winning in all competitions I believe. If they beat Shrewsbury they will play Chelsea in the next fa cup game. I wonder what kind of roster Klopp would play in that game.

19 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I don't know if Klopp would take his foot off the gas or try to break every record. It could also depend on how they do in champions league. Best case for Liam is if they keep winning in all competitions I believe. If they beat Shrewsbury they will play Chelsea in the next fa cup game. I wonder what kind of roster Klopp would play in that game.

No real insight into it, but I would be a bit surprised if Klopp didn't rotate the squad quite a bit if/when they clinch.  I think winning the league is the only significant prize - breaking some points record would probably be viewed as a lower priority than the opportunity to give a bunch of the squad players really valuable experience against top opposition.