Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

Just re-read some of the comments on MLS from an article leading up to the game, and aside from the obvious Yankee douchebaggery, it was interesting to read how several US fans figured we have the better strikers, a backline that is equal to theirs, but a midfield that is way behind theirs in terms of talent.  And, yet, tactically speaking, we outplayed them in the middle of the pitch all game long.  Oso and Arfield were so damned smart and responsible all game.  Piette was the bulldog we all expect. (I'd hate to play against him).  The whole team gets credit for the cohesive performance, but our midfield was the difference-maker tonight. And we did it without Kaye and Hutch.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Upon reviewing the highlights, it pleases me no small amount that Canada's winning goal came from a Bradley giveaway in midfield.

Of course, the US fans are slaughtering Bradley on all the forums right now, along with Berhalter.  But is Bradley really the problem?  Do they have a better option in that role? The fact that everything has to go through him seems, tactically, a big issue to me. And he ain't no spring chicken no more. Who are the most exciting young box-to-box midfielders in MLS these days? For my money Mark Anthony Kaye must rank among the best of the young prospects, no?  Oh, damn, I forgot: He's Canadian!!

^ That's why I find the American fans' comments in your previous post surprising: midfield may not be the strength of our team (but maybe it is?) but who do they have in the middle of the park aside from Bradley, who they are constantly dumping on? Roldan? McKennie probably is a player for the future but Piette and Fraser ate his lunch tonight.

Edit: Replying to Beaver above

Just now, jonovision said:

^ That's why I find the American fans' comments in your previous post surprising: midfield may not be the strength of our team (but maybe it is?) but who do they have in the middle of the park aside from Bradley, who they are constantly dumping on? Roldan? McKennie probably is a player for the future but Piette and Fraser ate his lunch tonight.

Tyler Adams is a great young player.

Tonight was my first National team game live and in person.

great experience, the place was rocking.

not a bad performance from anyone on our side.

we looked confident from the get go.

I’ll admit I had a “oh crap” moment when I saw Fraser coming on for MAK,  but the kid played very well and deserves credit for coming on in a tough situation.

Piette was MOTM for me, 

lets get the next one in November!

Probably my happiest night as a Canadian soccer fan since the 2000 Gold Cup victory, and probably the happiest win I've ever personally been in attendance for.

The most pleasing thing for me was how well the players with so few caps played for Canada. Kamal Miller I thought was excellent at reading the play on the left. He was my main worry going into the game once I saw the starting line-up, but he proved to hold his own quite well. Laryea I knew was going to be fine defensively, despite what all of the MLS pundits were saying before the match (that he was only good going forward - fact is, he is almost never culpable for goals against for TFC). And what can you say about Liam Fraser? The kid earned his first cap in one of the most important matches we've had - which he probably didn't expect he would see any playing time for - and other than one play where he gave the ball away, was excellent with his distribution. He took McKennie both out of the game and off his game (a player I have a real dislike for after this match - not sure if people watching on-line could see what a prick he was on the field). Note to Greg Vanney & Ali Curtis - after Bradley gave the ball away, it was Fraser who made the key pass to Arfield that led to the winning goal. That should be a major hint about what should happen next season for TFC

And those were the wildest, most exuberant goal celebrations I've ever seen at BMO Field. The subs were celebrating like we'd won the World Cup, never mind qualifying for it. You could see who wanted it more. There truly is some comraderie with this squad. Only disappointment was the game not being available for more to watch - it was great that TSN led their sports report tonight with game footage with biased US commentary and had Wileman & KJ do a post-match report from the stadium but they should have taken the offer from Onesoccer to get the match on TSN2. (On the drive down to the stadium, Sid Sexeiro also criticized both Sportsnet & TSN for not having the game, so clearly decisions are being made at a higher level).

Haven't read through the thread yet, nor checked out how much suicidal-panicking the Americans are doing right now.....

Just home from the match after lots of travel on public transit today, what an amazing match, the team seized the moment and were quite dominant overall! As @Club Linesman we had some great debate pre match at Joes when the starting 11 was leaked, I give Herdman all kinds of credit for knowing his players and getting this spot on! I have little voice left and there is a Forge match tomorrow night with some out of town V's attending, fun times!