Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

My match ratings:

8 - Cavallini: This guy is a beast. Even after the game, I still would've prefered him to start just for his old up play, and ability to win the balls in the air. He was making hard tackles up top to (which got him a yellow) but he topped off his hardwork with a late goal. 

N/A-Hoilett: Not enough time to make a difference, and his touch was a little wayward.

They played the same amount of time... Hoilett played like 30 minutes. He was solid. That's a little bit of a slap in the face to say he made no difference.

10 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Anybody else find it cringe, despite the loss, Americans still acting like they`re by far the superior team? They really like to act like they're a powerhouse. 

Well, when we are ranked nearly top-20 in the World and lose to someone over 50 or 60 spots below us, we will make every excuse in the book to try to make ourselves believe we're not losing steam.

I mean.. we never acted like we're a powerhouse. But we acted just as douchey when it came to Haiti. 90% of us we're hoping to play Haiti because it's an easier match and we should have won. We didn't. And we whined. 

It's pro sports. No real reason to to bash the Americans among ourselves. Save that for friendly bickering.

Edited by Hawkguy

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

They played the same amount of time... Hoilett played like 30 minutes. He was solid. That's a little bit of a slap in the face to say he made no difference.

Yes they played the same amount of time, but they had different outputs. A goal easily does that. From what I seen, he was dribbling and turning the ball over a few times. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Yes they played the same amount of time, but they had different outputs. A goal easily does that. From what I seen, he was dribbling and turning the ball over a few times. 

I don't know, I was there live and felt like Hoilett didn't miss a beat. He was running hard, had a great chance, and kept the pressure on USA. We didn't really miss a beat after Davies left the pitch. Hoilett was good.

Not that it makes a lick of difference, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the first goal is actually scored by Davies, and not David on the follow-up. 

Not definitively across the line:

image.png.3d9a0d66bfa2d1f8b8949df25d88849e.png

Linesman's flag doesn't go up until after David pokes it in (shown here), though it all happens very quickly. 

image.png.bbea1305b7fd2dd7a8e16388b0e0e01c.png

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hoilett had chances and kept them busy and honest, good professional head on him.

Would not have been my choice, at least so early, but shows what I know. 

Edit- I will say he fluffed a couple crosses. 

Yea, I thought he was good besides the two poor crosses (which were actually in great spots).  Those crosses hurt because at that point it was 1-0 and we couldn't afford to needlessly give away possession.  He did a nice job of making their back line work, together with Cavallini ... what a luxury to have those two come off the bench.  

Just now, sstackho said:

Not that it makes a lick of difference, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the first goal is actually scored by Davies, and not David on the follow-up. 

Linesman's flag doesn't go up until after David pokes it in (shown here), though it all happens very quickly. 

I've also wondered this but I think you need to go back to the initial "save", which might have been over the line already even if the ref didn't call it.  Anyway, it looks like the ball is over the line before David touches it and it was spinning that way anyhow.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yea, I thought he was good besides the two poor crosses (which were actually in great spots).  Those crosses hurt because at that point it was 1-0 and we couldn't afford to needlessly give away possession.  He did a nice job of making their back line work, together with Cavallini ... what a luxury to have those two come off the bench.  

Getting bullied after Davies runs you around for 60 minutes can not be fun for any defender. 

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

My match ratings:

7 - Arfield: His performance was surprisingly underwhelming. He had a lot of giveaways, turn overs, and didn't offer much in the attack. He did pinch Bradley which led to the goal, but overall it wasn't one of his best nights in Canada red. 

N/A-Hoilett: Not enough time to make a difference, and his touch was a little wayward.

Solid report. Thanks for the write-up.

Those are the only two I disagree slightly with you :). 

Felt Arfield was a stud and constantly in the right place at right time, one of the reasons we bossed the middle of the park.  Made a massive back track to block/deflect a quality scoring chance (shot) inside our own 18. Also played a massive role in our first goal, not sure our first goal happens without his excellent vision and class passing. 

Hoilett - excellent scoring chance but shot was slightly deflected(slowed down) by the defender. Also kept the pressure very high on their defence. Wasn't a stand out but by no means was he poor or N/A. 

7 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Can't help but smile at the 3 US defenders standing there ball watching. Glad David poked it in regardless to avoid any contraversy.

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

:This AM over coffee I was thinking with all this ecitement,  that we havnt even seen Eusquito yet.  Herdmans still got some aces up his sleeve for the return leg.  What a time to be the gaffer.  

Does Eustquio replace Kaye if not fit? Or did Fraser win that spot? We may play a different lineup all together though. 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:58 AM, narduch said:

Duane Rollins is reporting that One Soccer offered this game to TSN and Sportsnet, neither were interested.

So next time someone whines about One Soccer I will tell them to shut the **** up.

Point noted. I won’t say anything more about those Jabrones not being onboard. Shame on them, mainstream sports media outlets, for not supporting Cdn content let alone the national team, thus keeping the men’s team and men’s soccer on the fringe. Go hockey (can’t even win a cup in 26 yrs), BJs, NBA and NFL (we don’t even have a Cdn team).

Although I’m curious as to how much 1S was asking. Were they extorting? 

About 1S: I like the program they build with in depth storylines & interviews. I like they upload their content. Andi Petrillo is a pro, knows her stuff, dresses professionally and stunning.

What annoys me is: the audio sometimes skips or not even on; the match cuts out; they don’t check their microphones to see if they work; and Dunfield’s bias - buy a ticket if you want to be a cheerleader ffs. Not to mention most people dont have 1S so not much exposure of the CMNT or CPL. 

Also ( hope I don’t offend Voyageur Royalty here if there is some connection ) despite being knowledgeable Kurt Larson comes off a little pompous and somewhat arrogant not to mention another TFC homer.  Whatever happened to being objective? I really like Nigel Reed he is professional, impartial and does excellent commentary. You don’t see him kissing anoose. 

Crazy scenes last night totally worth the 14 hr trip!! What an awesome win!! So happy to have been there to experience it!!

The thing to notice to me was the way it was a really team of players, a group of lads that are all working for the same thing and Herdman has to take massive credit for that. They way the celebrated together the goal the passion the energy wS amazing!! 

Liam  is absolutely buzzing had  drink with him after the game (that was cool too) and was over the moon to be a part of this squad and history!!

I can feel big things ahead for this team on the right path... not to get to ahead of outselves but just buzzing!!!

13 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

I thought Arfield was the worst of the bunch. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

My match ratings:

7 - Arfield: His performance was surprisingly underwhelming. He had a lot of giveaways, turn overs, and didn't offer much in the attack. He did pinch Bradley which led to the goal, but overall it wasn't one of his best nights in Canada red. 

What game were you guys watching? 😲

Arfield was the freaking player of the year, let alone the match. He held and distributed the ball better than any midfield general I have seen in 20+ years of watching Canada. Time and again he managed to come away with the ball against two or three yanks. 

53 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Solid report. Thanks for the write-up.

Those are the only two I disagree slightly with you :). 

Felt Arfield was a stud and constantly in the right place at right time, one of the reasons we bossed the middle of the park.  Made a massive back track to block/deflect a quality scoring chance (shot) inside our own 18. Also played a massive role in our first goal, not sure our first goal happens without his excellent vision and class passing. 

Hoilett - excellent scoring chance but shot was slightly deflected(slowed down) by the defender. Also kept the pressure very high on their defence. Wasn't a stand out but by no means was he poor or N/A. 

I'm definitely going to rewatch the game tonight on OneSoccer. I was behind the net last night and you have me questioning what I saw lol. 

2 minutes ago, ted said:

What game were you guys watching? 😲

Arfield was the freaking player of the year, let alone the match. He held and distributed the ball better than any midfield general I have seen in 20+ years of watching Canada. Time and again he managed to come away with the ball against two or three yanks. 

I'll rewatch it, but I saw a lot of giveaways, and bad decisions. Yes the hustle was there, but who didn't for Canada last night? It's possible I missed the good sequences... I'll definitely digress if I see completely different. 

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

I don’t have a link but from the replay shown from the camera closer to the corner you can clearly see the ball is across the line when Stefan “saves” it. 

Arfield was the more offensive analogy to Piette's role, although everyone shared responsibilities. He was everywhere covering space and pressing, not allowing any time for the US on the ball, reading passes, nipping plays in the bud and striding forward as soon as he received the ball going the other way to push the US back. He was another 8/8.5. Piette was the best of the bunch because he owned the whole centre of the pitch and probably put in the most miles (curious to see this stat), but everyone in midfield was gigantic. Even Osorio, who I'm hot and cold on, was passing and moving at a tempo noticeably higher than he does at club level for TFC.