Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

I didn't think Arfield was at his strongest in the first half. His passing, especially, was not up to his usual standard. But he gradually took over the game and had two vital contributions to the winning goal. He also did more defensive work than usual, probably partly due to the Kaye-Fraser switch. Piette was my MOTM (stud destroyer, and more direct than usual in his passing without sacrificing accuracy) but Arfield wasn't that far behind.

I'm not sure yet what I think of Kamal Miller as a left back, but you can't deny that the lad is an absolute unit.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don’t have a link but from the replay shown from the camera closer to the corner you can clearly see the ball is across the line when Stefan “saves” it. 

Here's the best side-angle replay I could find.  Still hard to say.  But like I said, it doesn't make a lick of difference!  :) 

image.png.fb6056d12eff6793dfbd500d56533e86.png

1 hour ago, ted said:

What game were you guys watching? 😲

Arfield was the freaking player of the year, let alone the match. He held and distributed the ball better than any midfield general I have seen in 20+ years of watching Canada. Time and again he managed to come away with the ball against two or three yanks. 

Never said he was bad. Said quite the opposite. When Arfield is the worst player on pitch, you've just done something special. And we did.

Now that this game is behind us and all the squad selection and lineup talk is over (for now) I would like to say how wonderful it is to have legitimate discussions about player selections. 

It wasn't long ago that the squad and lineup was made up of 50% or more of FC Unattached players.  CanMNT has come a long way in the last decade. 

Also, if you didn't see the Cavallini interview on the pre-game give it a watch.  If this is the mentality of the entire squad Canada's place in CONCACAF is only starting its ascension. 

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Outcoached all the naysayers here too with Cav and Hoilett on the bench.

Yep, I too was unhappy with Cav on the bench but it made sense when you saw the game unfold. Davies and David tired out their defense and a fresh Cavallini "the tank" + Hoillett to come in was just too much for them. Defender was out of gas when Cavallini had the ball and scored.

That box at midfield sent Pulisic crying to the bench, neutralized their midfield while our destroyer shredded Bradley and the others while getting the ball back.

Miller stayed at home while Laryea played high thatnks to his ability to cover lots of ground quickly. He added to the numeric advantage at midfield and upfront allowing Canada to change to a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 depending on the situation

The US didn't do their homework and now know how good Arfield and Osorio are at finding gaps in their formation. We should have won 3-0 or 4-0 if it wasn't due to questionable offsides.

Our pair of CB a.k.a our #1 duo was fantastic. You could tell how calm everyone was with Vitoria at the back. He took Henry's spot in my opinion but will be on a very short leash.

25 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Now that this game is behind us and all the squad selection and lineup talk is over (for now) I would like to say how wonderful it is to have legitimate discussions about player selections. 

It wasn't long ago that the squad and lineup was made up of 50% or more of FC Unattached players.  CanMNT has come a long way in the last decade. 

Also, if you didn't see the Cavallini interview on the pre-game give it a watch.  If this is the mentality of the entire squad Canada's place in CONCACAF is only starting its ascension. 

Agree with the sentiment but.. 50% or more unattached?? LOL.  We always had a few (1-3 IIRC) but never that many.  It's more like we would have 50% or more not playing at their club.  

A few of my thoughts...

Vitoria has earned a starting role in my opinion. Showed very well and was calm all game. 

David actually had a poor game by his standards. Don't get me wrong, still was good, but seemed to struggle a bit with the physical center backs and his finishing wasn't quite there. Good thing we have 4-5 players who can score and we aren't just relying on him every single game.

I was screaming at the TV when Fraser was subbed on over Hoilett. I thought he wouldn't be mobile enough, but he looked very good in a 4 man midfield.

I think the formation covered a lot of our individual problems and suited the strength of our midfield and backline. I wouldn't be apposed to them using that against top level opposition. I think the 433 is great for the lesser nations, but it leaves our back line and midfield a bit too open. This formation worked wonders. 

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Then & now.

atiba-davies.jpg

I'd love to hear what Hutch thinks of the victory.  I was wondering last night whether this will increase or decrease our chances of seeing him again.  On one hand I could see him being excited and wanting to jump in, but on the other I could see him smiling like a proud papa and not wanting to take a spot from a young player or disrupt our chemistry.

Personally I'd like to see him in Orlando, I can see him adding some composure to our play away from home.  

4 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Let's not forget we still have another CDM with a pedigree in Eustaquio waiting for a shot.

Definitely not, hopefully he can earn that shot in November - else he's going to have to wait a while to get a cap (unless we get camp poutine).  I'd like to see him play 2+ matches for Cruz Azul between now and then (they play 4).  

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Let's not forget we still have another CDM with a pedigree in Eustaquio waiting for a shot.

If he finds his form at Cruz Azul and if Atiba Hutchinson gets healthy, one of the 2 will take Fraser's place. He played well but it took time for him to settle into his role.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

My seats were in line with the centre line, I was screaming in rage about this at the time as I knew there was no way he was offside.

Speed does that to you at times, a second of inattention from the AR and they can't believe that you could be that far ahead of the defender without being offside.   Hopefully his assessment reflected the error.