Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

Completely agree. Personally I have been completely unimpressed with Piette though the last year of Canada games and think he looks like a complete liability half the time, slow and bulldozing his way through giving away possession and silly fouls. This is the game to step up though if he is picked, I hope its Arfield and Kaye with David in front, that is almost certainly way too attacking for this game though!

I think he heard you!

5 hours ago, scullion44 said:

I'm one of Borjans biggest fans but he worries me everytime he touches the ball...

The Dan Cloutier of soccer! lol

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not a smash and grab

We are the better team

The smash job was Piette breaking up all of their attacks! Stay outta our house ******!

4 hours ago, finchster said:

Nations League is a waste of our time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

llllooooolllll!!!!

That was amongst the most fun I’ve had at a CNMT match, especially the result.  It was great to catch up with so many longtime Voyageurs as well.  I was so emotionally drained afterwards that I was glad there was some quiet time on the walk after the game.  One doesn’t realize how vested one is to soccer in this country until you live times like last night.

My three thoughts:

1) I was very much on the 'same old' train when David missed that chance in the 15th minute, but they didn't let it get to their heads and they kept the foot down for the vast majority of the 90 minutes.  That is easily the most comprehensive performance we've had against one of the big CONCACAF teams.

2) People at work are bringing the NT up unprompted which never happens and can only be good for some more coverage going forward.

3) The OneSoccer production, especially on the goals, is absolutely fantastic.

This was a first game for CMNT that I can remember attending that was 99% pro Canadian. It was a great seeing this.

The chemistry between the midfield trio of Piette,Arfield and Osorio is so good to see. They know where each one will be and rotation of positions between them is very fluid.

The other point is having Vitoria as defensive anchor was huge last night. He was in control back there.

12 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I'm mainly concerned about the reported attendance matching up with the photo the Parrot posts of BMO 1/2 hour before the match.

Interestingly, for such a dedicated and longstanding supporter of Canadian footy, I notice that he has been completely absent from any and all discussion of the game last night. 

Good thing it's a short work week here in Canada, my mind is still on fantasy island.  

Could write an essay abt all the positives but I won't, so many positives. Props to the coaches, players, fans and all the V's, we have all needed this and beyond deserved. 

Also met Sid from Tim & Sid last night after the game and thanked him for his mainstream support of footy in the country. Solid dude and looking forward to watch his show this afternoon. 

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

Am I missing it or can you not watch a replay of the full match on OneSoccer?

You're not missing anything. One Soccer holds the keys to the car, and Grand Dad's Audi is staying in the garage. It's a  classic Voyageurs moment when we have our biggest win in nearly a decade and we can't watch a replay, even with a legitimate subscription to what is now essentially our national broadcaster.

I have been sceptical of the Herdman appointment but last night showed that he is the right guy for this team. He was spot on tactically and had everyone buy in to his plan and execute it to perfection. 

A standing ovation to the back line. Going in I thought they were a liability to this team and there would be some boneheaded mistakes that would cost us. They all played well and Borjan made the big saves when he needed to. 

Canada usually gives the US too much respect and it ends up hurting them. This group clearly believes in their talent. They show their opponents respect on the pitch but demand respect be shown for their game too. 

What an absolute beauty of a game.

I have to admit, when I saw the starting line up, I was a little shocked. No Junior? No Cav? A new formation? Davies up top?  

I've also never really been sold on Piette - but god damn did he prove me wrong.  He is my man of the match for sure. Cleaned up EVERYTHING in the midfield.

Davies & David looked great up top - could have had a couple more goals.  
The mid was strong all game.  

Once Kaye went down, I was worried, but Fraser stepped in and didn't miss a beat... Borjan bailed us out when we had to  - which was surprisingly only once!

What a great game all around. The best, most complete performance I've seen in years....10/10.  Can't wait til Orlando game!

My match ratings:

8 - Borjan: Not much to do on the night, but when called upon he made big saves. Kept it simple... after his early mistake. Got the clean sheet! (For me I've always felt he should've been given the captaincy - I love his passion & comittment for Canada soccer) 

8.5 - Laryea: Played solid, simple, and got forward when he had the chance. He made Pulisic look like a USL player. 

8- Vitoria: Showed his veteran class tonight. He was the best CB on field. He kept our backline in check. 

7.5 - Cornelius: Played a good game, but I felt like he got beat a few times to many against Sorbet. Some aerial battles, he was beaten with a direct ball over the top that Sorbet headed down to Morris in which Borjan saved. However he looked better beside Vitoria then he has beside Henry. A good performance. 

8 - Miller: Shut down any counter attacks, he won every aerial challenge, he had a great game defensively. I just think we still haven't found our LB. Millers a CB who can play LB. He doesn't get forward or join the attack like Laryea displayed. Ultimately after tonight's performance, it's his spot to lose. 

7.5 - Fraser: Surprise sub for me, but it benefitted the way we played. He showed his potential with his range of passing, and breaking up plays. He can sometimes be a bit Bradley-ish on the ball, and get caught on the ball but overall he played solid. 

9.5 - Piette: Two words - Solid, Beast. Nothing was happening in the middle without him touching it. His passing was on point which solidified why he was the best player in the midfield tonight. 

7 - Arfield: His performance was surprisingly underwhelming. He had a lot of giveaways, turn overs, and didn't offer much in the attack. He did pinch Bradley which led to the goal, but overall it wasn't one of his best nights in Canada red. 

8 - Osorio: Simple. He was up and down. Throwing slide tackles. Making passes. I was impressed with Osorio tonight, he came to play. 

7. 5- David: Okay in transition, had an early opportunity that was nearly missed. I don't think he's best suited as a target striker, his hold up wasn't good, but he was dangerous running at the defence. 

10 - Davies: Attack, attack, attack. He has to be in attack, and I'm glad JH unleashed him the way he did. He looked like the Canadian Mbappe. The defence was dinner for him last night . 

9.5- Herdman: The tactics were a masterclass. I thought at first it was going to be a defensive bunker, even more with the Fraser sub. The way he unleashed Davies up top, to exploit their weak defense was big. Only reason w hy he didn't get a 10 was because I thought the two subs were needless, especially in case of an injury but it sealed the game. 

8 - Cavallini: This guy is a beast. Even after the game, I still would've prefered him to start just for his old up play, and ability to win the balls in the air. He was making hard tackles up top to (which got him a yellow) but he topped off his hardwork with a late goal. 

N/A-Hoilett: Not enough time to make a difference, and his touch was a little wayward.

N/A/-  Kaye: unfortunate for him last night to come off through injury.