Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

My preference 

4-2-3-1

‐-----------------------------------Cavallini

---------------------Davies------David-------Hoillet

----------------------------Arfield-----------Kaye

Adekugbe-------Cornelius-------Vitoria---------Laryea

-------------------------------------Borjan

Edited by Ansem

Cavallini 

Davies——— David——— Hoilett 

Arfield———Eustaquio

Adekugbe—Cornelius—Vitória—Laryea

Borjan 

Osorio subs for Eustaquio if we need offence otherwise it’s Piette 

Millar in for Adekugbe and we move Davies back to LWB if we are in need for offence otherwise MAK in for Arfield if we are holding 

Tabla in for Hoilett 

Edited by Daryn27

I think everyone hoping/expecting a 4231 is going to be disappointed. Why would we go out in a formation we have yet to use? I get we have a lot of options in attack and David has been playing underneath the striker for his club but I don’t see it happening.

I wouldn’t be surprised seeing Davies at LB again and a front three of Hoilett-Cavallini-David

Maybe Herdman will surprise us all and go with the 3-4-3 like vs Mexico, haha. 

I think some like the 4-2-3-1 out of concern our backline getting shredded vs US, having 2 midfielders back there helps support them.

I also think alot of people like David in the middle of the park.

At the same time, often in a 4-3-3 the midfield develops into a triangle anyways.

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 both in my opinion will do just fine.

Edited by apbsmith

51 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I think everyone hoping/expecting a 4231 is going to be disappointed. Why would we go out in a formation we have yet to use? I get we have a lot of options in attack and David has been playing underneath the striker for his club but I don’t see it happening.

I wouldn’t be surprised seeing Davies at LB again and a front three of Hoilett-Cavallini-David

Agree. Further to this point:

https://btsvancity.com/2019/09/07/canadas-mens-national-team-rediscovers-calm-waters-in-result-vs-cuba/?fbclid=IwAR25dhxBXvCvPxmBCdcMxnShaAjTLwscMXULin812Wz6YqlLMwYx8AXiXhU

"Canada came out in a 4-3-3, and it was expected that this formation would benefit both the midfield and the attack, with Jonathan Osorio, Mark Anthony Kaye and Sam Piette expected both to shut down Cuba and springboard the dangerous Junior Hoilett, Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies into attack.  

Defensively, they played in a 4-4-2, but despite the set-up, they still pressed high up the pitch when possible. To get the 4-4-2, the wingers, Davies and Hoilett, would tuck back and defend the flanks, while Piette and Kaye would drop and protect the middle of the pitch. Osorio would then push up, becoming a second striker, and he and David would press right onto the Cuban centre backs and goalkeeper, forcing them to play the ball into the midfield earlier than they would have hoped. 

“It’s the same framework from the Gold Cup,” Herdman said when asked about his tactical set-up. “We want to continue with the same work, players have really bought into that, I feel it gets the best out of them.”

“We attack in a 4-3-3 which is fluid and we defend in a 4-4-2, and whether that is the format for the USA we don’t want to give too much away too early but they’re 2 different games, so going into Cuba, I think in this game we just knew if we could get that first goal and take the wind out of the sails, the same mindset (as the Gold Cup) would open up some scars mentally.” "

- Really good tactics breakdown ahead of the US game in that article.

Borjan
Laryea-----Vitoria-----Cornelius------Miller/Adekugbe
          Hutchinson---Eustaquio**
Hoilett-------------David------------------Davies
                        Cavallini

** Depending on his situation.

Note: No I don't think Herdman will play this lineup or formation, this is just something I kinda wish for.

Hutchinson is set to make a return from injury. He hasn't officially retired from the team. Until that day comes, he should still be on the team imo. Despite his age he still has quality.

Eustaquio's case is based on fitness and if he can regain his old form. If not, I put Kaye there instead.

This is a hard one, cause this formation and lineup does keep out players like Kaye (for now), and Arfield out of the lineup. But had we gone with the 4-3-3, it would force players like David out wide, or risk Cavallini on the bench. Regardless, either formation will have to have some sort of sacrifice. A good problem to have. I picked this one cause I think it suits the players we have more.

David does come back well for Gent in this formation, he isn't the BEST at defending, but he's certainly not lazy.

Having players like Huntchinson, Eustaquio, or Kaye in this kind of formation is the only way this formation would work imo. Atiba and Eustaquio are both DM's, they play good defence, but importantly, they are creative and have the quality and vision to bring the ball forward. They can find David in the pockets to build up the attack. They are capable of making space for themselves and play quick short passes when under pressure to get themselves out of tight situations better than our other players. This lineup wouldn't work with a player like Piette imo cause I don't think he has the quality to do that. Defensively he'll be okay, but when trying to build up, especially under pressure now that he may have a little less support in this formation, I don't think a player like Piette is able to do it. (could be wrong, worth an experiment)

I like Adekugbe, but my 1 main fear of him playing on the same side of Davies is that it takes Davies out of the game a little more. Adekugbe likes to overlap and hog the touchline, I personally think this is where Davies should be. Playing Adekugbe kinda forces Davies to either pass for the overlap or cut in on his weaker foot more, which I prefer he doesn't. The reason why Miller might work is because of what I see him do with Orlando. In Orlando, he doesn't push up very high at all. He tucks in more infact, this gives players like Nani more space out wide to take on players. I think this is what could benefit Davies. Give him that space for him to use that speed of his to get around his marker.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Davies------Cavallini------David

Kaye-----------Piette-------Osorio

Adekugbe--Cornelius-Vitoria-Layera

-------------------Borjan--------------

Hoilett as a forward sub

Arfield as a midfield sub

Hutchinson as a defensive sub

Hoilett and Anfield on the bench...Jesus Christ guys

19 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Lol....long day! Looks like you’ve had a long one with Junior and Scotty missing from our XI ; ) 

You'll be happy to know I have softened up my stance on that one. As well as Osorio and Kaye and Piette all played together, and as good as their chemistry was on the night, I think I need to give el capo Arfield the benefit of the doubt and say he starts over Osorio.

Hoilett is just as hard to leave on the bench, but if not him then it's Cavallini, probably. If we don't play Alphonso or Kaye at LB, that is. At least Hoilett came off the bench and scored for Cardiff this season, so there is that. 

Edited by Obinna

If I had my way, this is how we would lineup with the personnel available:

Borjan
Laryea-----Vitoria-----Cornelius------Miller/Adekugbe/Kaye/Cordova (whoever in this slot)
                              Piette
Hoilett-------------Arfield------------------Davies

David

Cavallini

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on his health, Eustaquio could fit in the Piette position as well, but he will really have to show Herdman that he is an upgrade to displace Piette. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Borjan
Laryea-----Vitoria-----Cornelius------Miller/Adekugbe/Kaye/Cordova (whoever in this slot)
                              Piette

David

Cavallini

Depending on his health, Eustaquio could fit in the Piette position as well, but he will really have to show Herdman that he is an upgrade to displace Piette. 

I like this lineup. Only change I'd make is Kaye over Piette, or have Kaye at LB. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Borjan
                              Piette

David

Cavallini

I like this.

My adjustment would be swap Piette with Hutch or Eustaquio. Start Kaye at LB for the first game. 

41 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

I like this.

My adjustment would be swap Piette with Hutch or Eustaquio. Start Kaye at LB for the first game. 

I don't get this call to immediatley slot in Eustaquio. He's barely back from injury, has never trained or played with Canada either. Let's see how he settles in with Cruz Azul, who apparently are a mess right now before he's immediately in the 11.

43 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't get this call to immediatley slot in Eustaquio. He's barely back from injury, has never trained or played with Canada either. Let's see how he settles in with Cruz Azul, who apparently are a mess right now before he's immediately in the 11.

I get your point...makes sense. But watch a few matches, the man is GOOD. Material step-up from SP. 

If he is fit, he should be playing.

Edited by hamiltonfan

Is Hutch going to walk back into our lineup after injury? He's getting long in the tooth, and there are no guarantees he wants to continue on with the NT. Thought he would reevaluate after the Gold Cup. 

Sooner rather than later we'll have to live life without Hutch. 

Edited by king1010

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Is Hutch going to walk back into our lineup after injury? He's getting long in the tooth, and there are no guarantees he wants to continue on with the NT. Thought he would reevaluate after the Gold Cup. 

Sooner rather than later we'll have to live life without Hutch. 

I have the utmost respect for Hutch, he has been a great player and ambassador for our MNT and certainly if he wants to continue with the team he is more than welcome, after watching him in the Gold Cup I don't think he is an automatic starter anymore and I don't want to see him at CB unless it is an absolute emergency!