Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

USnA commentators best be humble. Normally you’d think the Yanks would comeback firing in the return match but the way they played last night plus all the heat they’re getting from the press I wouldn’t be surprised if we get another win in November. I smell blood. USnA look like they’re a boxer on the ropes ripe for a knockdown. 

The way i see it....  If Berhalter gets canned between now and Nov, the new coach will surely want to make a statement and beat us bad to come out a hero.  However that plays into our hands as i truly feel we have the tools to hurt them where they are weak.   If we play with Berhalter as coach again, i see them being really conservative vs our conter-attack threat.  Either way, should be interesting.  

Like many have already said, this was an excellent performance by Canada. The win is exactly what the team needed to distinguish itself from squads of the last decade and to show it can compete as a top team in Concacaf. Canada's last win against the U.S. may have been in 1985, but we were robbed in 2007. For me, the win tonight was retribution for that Gold Cup loss, and we didn't need a ref to bail us out. Great job to the whole gang. 

What an amazing game.

Here's a rare news article (from Forbes surprisingly) that actually recognizes that USA should NOT be so shocked they lost to Canada because of our talent and tactics (and not blame it just on a lack of desire by the US). The journalist actually seems to know loads about our guys. 

Savour this read, preferably with a cigar and whiskey 🥃 in hand..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesnalton/2019/10/16/canada-united-states-2-0-nations-league-berhalter-alphonso-davies/amp/

Edited by saintjoes

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Listen to this from the 13:15 mark of the ESPN FC podcast .  Good lord.  

https://podbay.fm/podcast/849326609/e/1571264820

Was that Hercules Gomez ranting about CDN talent??  What a complete clown.  I couldnt help but check, according to soccerway he was in one game vs canada in 2012, scoreless draw friendly in TO.  If someone was injured or sick they recovered well enough to play as everyone saw the field.  

5 hours ago, ted said:

LOL, I am disagreeing with the erroneous assertion that he was anything other than THE BEST PLAYER on the pitch last night.

The whole team did well, even the new kid thrown on  in an unexpected early substitution.

All I am saying is, Arfield ruled the midfield and was, IMO, the MOTM. 

Oh sorry almighty one. I didn't know your word was gospel. 

Maybe when you learn the names of our players and treat them with respect, I'll do the same to your opinions. 

On 10/7/2019 at 11:07 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

"Delighted"?  I think that's a bit much for an expected result.  We drew the States in 2012, 2013 and were minutes away in 2016... since that time we have improved and they have gone down a bit.  I think expectations need heightening.   

On 10/7/2019 at 1:10 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Not rose coloured glasses at all, just being realistic.  I'd be okay with a draw but not delighted as it would not be a sign of progress.  As Herdman even said, we need to beat a rival to progress... anything less is just the same old mediocrity.  This USA team is not good enough to celebrate drawing against.. at home.  A top world team or even Mexico?  Sure, all day.

I think it's worth bringing these back up, given that I thought the exact opposite.  This Canada team surprised me, and were full marks for the victory.  I was heartened by how well they played, and thought in many ways the score flattered the USA. 

So now that step one is complete, they need to take points in November.  I risk be a downer here, but if they lose in November, then don't win the group, that really does negate the progress we've made here.  Unlike this game however, I'm immediately encouraged to think that in fact they can succeed away. 

4 hours ago, KW519 said:

Wow😕 had to shut his dumb ass off after 30 seconds 

It seems that you can never beat an American.  Apparently, they only beat themselves and that's it.

I like our chances of taking all six points, frankly, so long as we also come into Orlando with the right, business like attitude.  I don't want to crank up the expectations too high because that has been lethal for us in the past, but the opponent lacks any real confidence at the moment. 

4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Listen to this from the 13:15 mark of the ESPN FC podcast .  Good lord.  

https://podbay.fm/podcast/849326609/e/1571264820

The irony is beyond comprehension that these pundits are heavily criticizing the USMNT for being arrogant, then in the same breath say Canada has "no talent" (that's a direct quote) with guys that "aren't even signed".

Like, wtf.

Is it possible that American analysts has mislead American fans into believing that the team and its players are better than they actually are?

ESPN answers it

and yes...the arrogance from Gomez

we played guys with no contracts? We have no talent? WTF? What's wrong with that country is how ignorant they are due to their medias feeding them BS about things outside their borders...

Edited by Ansem

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Is it possible that American analysts has mislead American fans into believing that the team and its players are better than they actually are?

ESPN answers it

we played guys with no contracts? We have no talent? WTF? What's wrong with that country is how ignorant they are due to their medias feeding them BS about things outside their borders...

If Im Herdmann  use that as motivation for next match in November

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

ESPN answers it

Lol these guys are so full of it. Gomez says nations league is a joke. Then the host chimes in and suggests our guys don’t play anywhere and some aren’t even signed!!! They are pushing Pulisic and his flu like symptoms and lack of desire like crazy. We need to put that humble pie back in the oven and get ready to serve it.

Edited by Alex

My #1 reason for my skepticism of the USMNT and not bying into their hype is how TERRIBLE they've been on the road. 

They hide that by playing LOTS of games at home and yes they do play much better at home but if you can't replicate that on the road, you aren't a superpower like they are advertising themselves. 

Their loss at BMO field is yet another example of that. They might want to try and play more often on the road before looking down on CONCACAF. They have won only 1 road game in over 2 years and that was against St.Vincent I think

"Sid calling them arrogant, overrated and cowards for not playing on the road"🤣

Edited by Ansem

Herculez Gomez is a clown.  How do you have no knowledge of our players when half of them play in YOUR domestic league?  In fact, the lowest level that any of our players who played Tuesday play at is MLS - and they had more MLS players than us.  Very confused.

Gomez likes to pretend he was this special player but in reality he was one of the worst strikers TFC ever had.  In 99 MLS games since 2007 he scored SEVEN goals.. that is laughable.  And the USMNT called him because they were so damn talented.  

He tells some story about "last time" playing Canada off the pitch and some player having 6 wings and a beer pregame.  A 0-0 draw where Jackson missed an injury time sitter to ice the USA... yea a really whopping.  Who makes things up like this?  It's all to protect the facade of his failed national team and MLS career.

Career MLS games (goals):

Herculez "the superstar" Gomez: 169 (25)

Tesho Akindele: 160 (34)

To be fair to Akindele as well, he has played the wing often.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

More gold:

Seriously though, when the Americans reference their talent are they talking about Morris?  There was a time I truly rated him and thought he would go on to great things but he's fairly average at the international level (and even in MLS these days).   Likewise with Sargent, he may be able to go on to great things but at this moment he's not close to David or Davies - so it's just very odd when they make reference to these guys who wouldn't get a sniff in our lineup. 

Look, we didn't even call in Larin and he is decidedly better at this point than Sargent or Morris.  

Pulisic and McKennie, class absolutely.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Pulisic and McKennie, class absolutely.  

I was concerned about these two players but at the end of the day not only did they do absolutely nothing, their emotional fragility was on display to the world.  McKennie was frustrated as hell in the second half, fouling away, taking cheap shots at Fraser and Laryea and mouthing off every chance he got.  Pulisic was literally reduced to tears after getting subbed out.  And these are their leaders?  Pathetic! 

Bradley, for all his faults, at least keeps it together on the pitch and in postgame interviews - and he was stripped of the captains armband in favour of Tim Ream who Phonzie humiliated at will every chance he got. 

Sid is amazing.  100% truth coming out of his mouth, glad that their reach hears that.

All the American talk I'm hearing is about how the US blew it with ZERO credit to Canada.  I want to be upset but at the same time I think the disrespect they are showing Canada's performance Tuesday could very well lead to a result for Canada in November.  

Side note on Morris, there was a time when he broke onto the scene but decided to stay in Seattle instead of going abroad and the reason he gave was ridiculous (I think it was because of his dog).  It is that kind of mentality that had done in the US.  Klinsmann has always been right in wanting players to get overseas to really get better.  These Canadians coming up now (thinking of guys like ZBG) need to have that mentality as well.  MLS & CPL are fine to keep guys going and launch careers but if you have the opportunity to push yourself at a higher level you have to take it. 

Morris chose MLS over Werder Bremen in the thick of the Klinsman vs. MLS media battle.  It is speculated that he was pressured into it by US Soccer / MLS, and was certainly given a sweet contract financially for a rookie out of college.

13 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Side note on Morris, there was a time when he broke onto the scene but decided to stay in Seattle instead of going abroad and the reason he gave was ridiculous (I think it was because of his dog).  It is that kind of mentality that had done in the US.  Klinsmann has always been right in wanting players to get overseas to really get better.  These Canadians coming up now (thinking of guys like ZBG) need to have that mentality as well.  MLS & CPL are fine to keep guys going and launch careers but if you have the opportunity to push yourself at a higher level you have to take it.