Jonathan David

Vince193

3 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

the goal at 1:09 is hilarious.. I have never seen a sequence like that hahhah

Part of the reason why you don't see sequences like that is because he probably could have been called for playing the ball while on the ground. That was borderline, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

Also, during the replays of that, it sounds like the announcer has a nickname for him. He said "Canada Dry" in English at about 1:27.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:59 PM, gigi riva said:

I have BEIN Sport so I can watch Ligue 1 

You can watch ligue 1 matches in canada on TV5 which is on more basic packages compared to BEIN sports.   Problem with TV5 matches is that you will likely have to hit the mute button.  

Its a unique broadcats unlike any you would be familiar with in Canada.  The broadcasters seldom do play by play decribeing and telling you who has the ball etc.   Instaed the two guys talk and talk and talk non stop for two hours about anything and everything under the sun rarely ever telling you whose in possession of the ball.   Ok, yes, they will talk mostly about soccer and the game but sometimes they will drift off on their own tangent and Babble about some restaurent or food ect.   I find it very annoying to have to listen to.   They will however tell you when there is goal and most of the time they will tell you who scored it. 

Edited by Free kick

14 hours ago, Free kick said:

You can watch ligue 1 matches in canada on TV5 which is on more basic packages compared to BEIN sports.   Problem with TV5 matches is that you will likely have to hit the mute button.  

Its a unique broadcats unlike any you would be familiar with in Canada.  The broadcasters seldom do play by play decribeing and telling you who has the ball etc.   Instaed the two guys talk and talk and talk non stop for two hours about anything and everything under the sun rarely ever telling you whose in possession of the ball.   Ok, yes, they will talk mostly about soccer and the game but sometimes they will drift off on their own tangent and Babble about some restaurent or food ect.   I find it very annoying to have to listen to.   They will however tell you when there is goal and most of the time they will tell you who scored it. 

Probably still better than most American announcers.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:15 PM, Free kick said:

This could be a thing of the future! Playing your favourite podcaster calling the game instead of the standard crew. 

"This is Kevin Laramee and we will be discussing Olympic ski dancing during this Cavalry vs Forge game."

So it's literally the type of dialogue you hear among your friends when a bunch of people get together to watch the game in someone's basement/man cave or a bar....and the TV execs thought it was a good idea to translate this into a soccer broadcast. 

Edited by Macksam

7 minutes ago, Macksam said:

So it's literally the type of dialogue you hear among your friends when a bunch of people get together to watch the game in someone's basement/man cave or a bar....and the TV execs thought it was a good idea to translate this into a soccer broadcast. 

Just sounds like a baseball broadcast, tbh, and frankly something I'd prefer over what I listened to from a certain crew this morning.

You can watch ligue 1 matches in canada on TV5 ...talk and talk non stop for two hours about anything and everything ...drift off on their own tangent ....most of the time they will tell you who scored it. 

This is true. The main commentator has a fondness for reminiscing and tangents. The second guy is better.

---------

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Jonathan-david-la-gantoise-je-veux-jouer-a-lille/1153300

http://www.foot-national.com/foot-losc-un-attaquant-se-confie-sur-son-envie-de-venir-au-club-136935.html

Gent are playing hard to get and David is getting frustrated. Has some harsh but honest words.

Psychologically a good move and easy transition if he moves to Lille. Only moving about 80km away to a city where there is no language barrier.

Jonathan David, Canadian striker from La Gantoise, confided in L'Equipeabout his desire to come to LOSC. While the Lille club has made a firm offer of 25 million euros to snatch the attacker from the Belgian club, the latter does not want to let his player go. He therefore does not understand and explained "I want to come to Lille. I had a very good season. For me, the next step is Ligue 1. And the LOSC sports project is great. a very good team in France. " He spoke of La Gantoise's reactions, confident "The discussions are complicated. The club says it wants to keep me. Or be ready to sell me for a price which does not seem possible given the situation linked to the coronavirus. especially that which complicates the negotiations. However, I made it clear that I wanted to go to Lille. They told me that they wouldn't block me. At first it was faster. There, everything is slowed down. As if they were waiting for a better offer. I don't know where it would come from. "

"I don't understand these complications"

David explained that his choice for LOSC is due to the fact that he is interested in the Lille project and that he already speaks French. He also explains that he knows the French championship and that he watches the matches. But David starts to get impatient about the situation and explained "I would like it to happen as soon as possible. To get to know my teammates and the game system that will be in place. Frankly, I don't think there is a lot of respect on the part of my leaders. It would still be quite logical, since I arrived in Ghent for free. The club did not pay transfer fees. I gave everything I Lille came with a very respectable offer given the health situation, I don't understand these complications

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Jonathan David, Canadian striker from La Gantoise, confided in L'Equipeabout his desire to come to LOSC. While the Lille club has made a firm offer of 25 million euros to snatch the attacker from the Belgian club, the latter does not want to let his player go. He therefore does not understand and explained "I want to come to Lille. I had a very good season. For me, the next step is Ligue 1. And the LOSC sports project is great. a very good team in France. " He spoke of La Gantoise's reactions, confident "The discussions are complicated. The club says it wants to keep me. Or be ready to sell me for a price which does not seem possible given the situation linked to the coronavirus. especially that which complicates the negotiations. However, I made it clear that I wanted to go to Lille. They told me that they wouldn't block me. At first it was faster. There, everything is slowed down. As if they were waiting for a better offer. I don't know where it would come from. "

David explained that his choice for LOSC is due to the fact that he is interested in the Lille project and that he already speaks French. He also explains that he knows the French championship and that he watches the matches. But David starts to get impatient about the situation and explained "I would like it to happen as soon as possible. To get to know my teammates and the game system that will be in place. Frankly, I don't think there is a lot of respect on the part of my leaders. It would still be quite logical, since I arrived in Ghent for free. The club did not pay transfer fees. I gave everything I Lille came with a very respectable offer given the health situation, I don't understand these complications

Reminds me of Pozuelo trying to move to Toronto FC from Genk.

The leadership at these Belgian clubs seem to have a propensity for talking out both sides of their mouths, saying they won't block the player and then doing the opposite to squeeze out a few extra million. 

Here is another interview about him wanting to play for Lille:

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/gent-attacker-jonathan-david-i-want-to-play-for-lille/

Interesting what he has to say about the club sending another agent to negotiate. Is this normal?

Why has agent Mogi Bayat entered the talks?

My agent brought the offer to Lille. I have heard it said that another agent was mandated by Gent to negotiate for them. I don’t understand. It is up to Gent to explain themselves. Me, I would now like things to advance.

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Interesting what he has to say about the club sending another agent to negotiate. Is this normal?

Increasingly, over the last few years I think.  Agents have agents it seems these days.  Hopes that COVID would strip some of the money out of the process seem to be wishful already.

Overall,  it has to be hard for him.  I would though have his own agent do the talking behind closed doors.  Not sure the press helps in the long run. 

On the subject of the club's agent, there's a football industry lawyer named Daniel Geey (has a podcast and book called "Done Deal") whose job is working on the legal process around transfers.  He talks about the real reason clubs employ agents when it is seemingly unnecessary to do so. It is almost always to facilitate payoffs to club executives and managers.  The club-employed agent is paid a cut of the transfer and then funnels a cut of the money to the manager or club exec.  It's an open secret in the industry

On 7/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, Obinna said:

French Ligue 1 is an exciting league to play in. David going there makes it all the more exciting.