Jonathan David

Vince193

I was secretly hoping for a move to a big club so I could watch him more but Lille is a good destination. A step up from Belgium, even if it’s not a huge one. 

There are some decent players on Lille so he’ll hopefully have no problems getting service and linking up with others. If he repeats what he did this season I’m sure he’ll be ready for a big club!

Lille would be the biggest and most prestigious club a Canadian forward has ever played for (with all due respect to Anderlecht, 'Gladbach West Ham and Everton).  

The most important thing for David and for the CanMNT is that David gets plenty of playing time.  I think this is a perfect move for him.

56 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I was secretly hoping for a move to a big club so I could watch him more but Lille is a good destination. A step up from Belgium, even if it’s not a huge one. 

There are some decent players on Lille so he’ll hopefully have no problems getting service and linking up with others. If he repeats what he did this season I’m sure he’ll be ready for a big club!

I watch both Ligue 1 and Jupiler and Ligue 1 is a huge step up from Jupiler.  Bottom half of Ligue 1 would absolutely wipe the table against similar teams in the Jupiler.

1 minute ago, Snowcrash said:

I watch both Ligue 1 and Jupiler and Ligue 1 is a huge step up from Jupiler.  Bottom half of Ligue 1 would absolutely wipe the table against similar teams in the Jupiler.

Exactly French Ligue 1 is not only superior but games are much more entertaining than that of what you see in Belgium

8 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Lille would be the biggest and most prestigious club a Canadian forward has ever played for (with all due respect to Anderlecht, 'Gladbach West Ham and Everton).  

The most important thing for David and for the CanMNT is that David gets plenty of playing time.  I think this is a perfect move for him.

An absolutely ridiculous statement from someone who clearly has no clue about the histories of Everton, Borussia Moenchengladbach, or Anderlecht. 

4 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Good to hear. I know Ligue 1 has been considered the “5th league” for a while now but I didn't think the difference would be huge. Considering the insane amount of good French players there are right now I figure there’s still a bunch in Ligue 1 right now. 

If the move goes through it will be great for David to be playing against better players every week. I’d love to see him against PSG. 

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

An absolutely ridiculous statement from someone who clearly has no clue about the histories of Everton, Borussia Moenchengladbach, or Anderlecht. 

Harsh!  Well aware of their histories Sir.  Lets agree to disagree and not derail this thread.

17 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If you put Everton, 'Gladbach, Lille, and Anderlecht together in a Europa League group, Lille would be decent odds to finish bottom. That's today, not even considering the other three clubs' historical records, all of which leave Lille's very much in the dust. There's no measure that puts Lille ahead of Everton or 'Gladbach. Only current strength of domestic league would have them ahead of Anderlecht.

Edited by SthMelbRed

7 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Good to hear. I know Ligue 1 has been considered the “5th league” for a while now but I didn't think the difference would be huge. Considering the insane amount of good French players there are right now I figure there’s still a bunch in Ligue 1 right now. 

If the move goes through it will be great for David to be playing against better players every week. I’d love to see him against PSG. 

I would too especially if he gets to see players like Neymar and Kylian Mbappe especially since they are not that much older than David is specifically Mbappe.

7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

How about LIverpool? Liam Millar made his senior club debut in the FA cup this year.

There is also Werder Bremen. Stalteri made his debut at the club as a striker.

Edited by Norrin Radd

Lots of good comments on here. As someone mentioned before its less then an hour drive away from Gent. The transition of not having to go far, and speaking his French will help a lot. Ligue 1 may not get tons of love, but its still a big step up.

This is an excellent stepping stone for him. If Lille are willing to pay record fees like this, he will not be riding the bench! He will have a lot of pressure on him, and if he succeeds after a year or two he can probably join a top team as a big signing. Hes such a humble kid, this seems like a move that would work well for him.

Initially I just wanted him to join a big name club, but the more I think about it this move could be very smart in the long run.

Great times for Canada, and our golden generation!

2 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

Lots of good comments on here. As someone mentioned before its less then an hour drive away from Gent. The transition of not having to go far, and speaking his French will help a lot. Ligue 1 may not get tons of love, but its still a big step up.

This is an excellent stepping stone for him. If Lille are willing to pay record fees like this, he will not be riding the bench! He will have a lot of pressure on him, and if he succeeds after a year or two he can probably join a top team as a big signing. Hes such a humble kid, this seems like a move that would work well for him.

Initially I just wanted him to join a big name club, but the more I think about it this move could be very smart in the long run.

Great times for Canada, and our golden generation!

I just hope whatever form he had to begin with he maintains when he heads to Lille 

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I just hope whatever form he had to begin with he maintains when he heads to Lille 

He’s going to take over in a 2 man front that should be ideal for him.  

Osimhen has similar (slightly less) production in Belgium the year before, moved to Lille and scored 18 goals.  After 1 year he’s about to move on for €50 million.

I think David can have the same impact for them as Osimhen did.  That’s pretty much Lille’s plan. Take the €50 million from the sale of Osimhen, bring in David then transfer him for a profit after a year or 2.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

He’s going to take over in a 2 man front that should be ideal for him.  

Osimhen has similar (slightly less) production in Belgium the year before, moved to Lille and scored 18 goals.  After 1 year he’s about to move on for €50 million.

I think David can have the same impact for them as Osimhen did.  That’s pretty much Lille’s plan. Take the €50 million from the sale of Osimhen, bring in David then transfer him for a profit after a year or 2.

Pretty smart on both Lille and David's ends especially if this deal goes through which I see no issue why it shouldn't 

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Pretty smart on both Lille and David's ends especially if this deal goes through which I see no issue why it shouldn't 

Lille’s management is pretty competent by all reports.

By the way, my deepest condolences on your brother.  Losing a close family member is incredibly hard.  When I lost my son 2 years ago, it was very hard to get through some days.  Take the time you need to be with your family and don’t feel pressured to “get back to normal” because there really isn’t a fixed time.  I found it was like waves- some good days, some bad days.  Eventually the waves get further and further apart 

Edited by baulderdash77

12 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Lille’s management is pretty competent by all reports.

By the way, my deepest condolences on your brother.  Losing a close family member is incredibly hard.  When I lost my son 2 years ago, it was very hard to get through some days.  Take the time you need to be with your family and don’t feel pressured to “get back to normal” because there really isn’t a fixed time.  I found it was like waves- some good days, some bad days.  Eventually the waves get further and further apart 

Thanks I appreciate that there are at least some posters who are nice and encouraging and know how it feels especially when the loss is still raw and fresh