Jonathan David

Vince193

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Who knows, if David stays a few years he might win a title because Neymar and Mbappe are going to leave soon. 

Lille last won the title in 2010-11.

They actually did the double that year, winning the Coupe de France.

They were also runners-up (in the league) as recently as 2018-19.

Edited by Obinna

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Some noteworthy teammates David would have at Lille:

Timothy Weah - US international, forward/winger, same birth year as David.

Renato Sanches - Portuguese international, former teammate of Davies at Bayern Munich.

Nicolas Gaitan - ex-Argentina international, former Chicago Fire TAM player during 2019 MLS season. 

David is clear of them all. I do not doubt for a second that David will soon become a fan favorite for Lillie supporters. I'm still convinced that he's a better player than Davies. If he can help make them competitive then he's in for a big move after.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

An absolutely ridiculous statement from someone who clearly has no clue about the histories of Everton, Borussia Moenchengladbach, or Anderlecht. 

Hey - West Ham have won more world cups than all of those clubs combined. 

Joking aside, I am always amazed as how Everton is viewed these days. 9 league titles, 5 fa cups and one European cup winners cup.

Just now, LeoH037 said:

David is clear of them all. I do not doubt for a second that David will soon become a fan favorite for Lillie supporters. I'm still convinced that he's a better player than Davies. If he can help make them competitive then he's in for a big move after.

Should David make this move, he may outgrow that group before long, knowing the talent he has. 

On paper, they seem to be stronger than Gent, but not by a great deal. Like Gent, their defense is relatively unimpressive. Again, I stress the "on paper" part, as I haven't watched Lille at all recently.

Long time Portuguese international Jose Fonte, (who is ex-Southampton) is the Captain, but he is also 36. After that, you have a bunch of guys who are much less noteworthy on the backline, which is why I draw the comparison with Gent. 

47 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I have BEIN Sport so I can watch Ligue 1 

TV5 also has a match of the week on Saturday at 11ET. Should see Lille once in a while.

And for those who have recent gen LG or Samsung smart tvs or Roku, bein sports extra is available for free. They usually show some ligue 1 ex PSG matches live along with Turkish league, la liga 2 and tier2/3 la liga matches.

30 minutes ago, red card said:

TV5 also has a match of the week on Saturday at 11ET. Should see Lille once in a while.

And for those who have recent gen LG or Samsung smart tvs or Roku, bein sports extra is available for free. They usually show some ligue 1 ex PSG matches live along with Turkish league, la liga 2 and tier2/3 la liga matches.

Being a total football fan of all thing’s Canadian. Having IPTV and a OneSoccer subscription is the greatest thing ever! I’m able to literally watch every and any match in the world. 

On 7/7/2020 at 2:52 PM, SthMelbRed said:

If you put Everton, 'Gladbach, Lille, and Anderlecht together in a Europa League group, Lille would be decent odds to finish bottom. That's today, not even considering the other three clubs' historical records, all of which leave Lille's very much in the dust. There's no measure that puts Lille ahead of Everton or 'Gladbach. Only current strength of domestic league would have them ahead of Anderlecht.

But you have to admit that a Lille with Jonathan David would be favourites to win that division. 

Eita GIF by TVE Bahia

On 7/7/2020 at 5:40 PM, Obinna said:

Should David make this move, he may outgrow that group before long, knowing the talent he has.

Before their league shut down, Renato Sanches was probably Lille's best player this season and looked like he was finally finding the consistency to go along with his obvious talent that made him such a promising and coveted young player.

David would seem like he would pair really well with him.  And co-incidentally enough Sanches seemed like he was pretty tight with Phonzie during his time at Bayern Munich.

1 minute ago, Acid-Tone said:

Before their league shut down, Renato Sanches was probably Lille's best player this season and looked like he was finally finding the consistency to go along with his obvious talent that made him such a promising and coveted young player.

David would seem like he would pair really well with him.  And co-incidentally enough Sanches seemed like he was pretty tight with Phonzie during his time at Bayern Munich.

Sounds like there is a great base for them to build chemistry.

The prospect of David linking up with an in-form Sanches is very exciting. Vadis Odjija is a decent player, but that extra quality you get with Renato Sanches should translate into passes getting to David earlier and more often. Unlike Davies, who will shine regardless of who is next to him, David can really use good players to combine with.

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Personally I love it because he gets to see Neymar and Mbappe weekly by coming to French Ligue 1. Plus with him playing on a squad like Lille, he can hopefully score as many or more goals than he did when he was at Gent, and then attract even more attention from other clubs in the future.

Or once every 20 weeks.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Exhibit A to support your position....Nicholas Pepe. He was supposed to be the closest thing to a sure thing coming out of France since Eden Hazard. His limp returns for Arsenal have set Ligue Un clubs back massively with regards to demanding huge sums from the Premier League.

Well it's done so no matter. I like Lille as a team but had hoped for something better. Surprised by their capacity to pay, and by what apparently is the hope they can sell on for more. 

I wont hide it.  Leipzig would have been the perfect move.   They are in the CL quarters and will be CL next year as well.  They are club a that (by all accounts) are commiteed to development and bringing in the best young talent and at the same time are already playing amongst the elite of europe.  Thats a rare combination.    Also, they are ambitious and well backed financially.  

Hearing that one of our players is at Lille is really great news.  We would never be disappointed about that.  They have developed a lot of great talent.  But the difference between Lille and Leipzig is that Lille are really another step along the development path.   Its a much higher step (mind you) than Genk but still a step rather than a club who will be discussed, thought of or talked as amongst the elite in Europe.   Yes, they have had their moments in the past,  and they often amongst the  better sides in France.  But i think of them more of Europa league rather than Champions league.  

Given JD’s age, promise and where he has come from,  he makes me contradict what i have always said whereby  i wished for cnd players to always go to and aspire for the best possible and most pretigious/recognized club.   If he were a couple of years younger or older,  i would still say that.  Given where he is at, i agree completely with what several have said, a few pages back , that the big clubs like Arsenal and Milan would not have seemed ideal.

Edited by Free kick

https://www.transfermarkt.us/gents-thorup-quot-david-has-everything-to-become-a-star-in-world-football-quot-/amp/news/365136?id=365136&__twitter_impression=true

Transfermarkt piece linked by Manuel Veth on Twitter.

Great article on Gent's Danish head coach Jess Thorup (who once led Midtjylland to a league title).  Most of it related to his coaching philosophy (attacking attractive soccer that his players enjoy playing but also a model based very much on relationships built with players), and his thoughts on modern soccer and the Jupiler League (says quality is great and intensity higher than in Denmark) but some good stuff on David:

"As his coach I am selfish, I want him to stay for another season," Thorup said. "As a neutral spectator, I have to say the boy belongs in a top league. He has everything to become a star in world football, not just as an athlete but also because of his personality. Some players would flip out after a season like his, but he has stayed with both feed on the ground. He could be arrogant and say I am the king of Gent, but instead, he is pushing his teammates. David never focuses on his success, but the success of his team—to have such a mindset as a 20-year-old earns my respect. "

I have to say, having 2 young stars with not only the talent but also the work ethic, attitude, and humility of Davies and David is phenomenal.  As they grow into leadership roles that sense of doing whatever is best for the team will rub off on everyone who takes the field with them