Jonathan David

Vince193

Gent coach Thorup on David not playing vs Metz. - (Google translated)

"I had a long conversation with Jonathan beforehand," said Thorup. “We all know that something is going on. There is no decision yet, but as a coach I would like to know where we stand. Is it still possible that he still plays for us? Then I want to see him in action with a view to the competition start. Mentally he was not ready now, because there are many things going on. But if there is no decision on Saturday, I want to give him minutes against Zulte Waregem. We'll have to watch it day by day. I understand that Jonathan thinks about the risks when he plays. When in doubt, watch out for injuries. That's why I preferred to take no risks so far for Jonathan and the club. We also need to see what we can do without him. ”

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/belgisch-voetbal/jess-thorup-legt-uit-waarom-david-niet-speelde-tegen-metz-hij-was-mentaal-niet-klaar~aa31f896/

(And a picture of David wearing his mask like all the kids here do)

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

But really what is the difference between Gent and Leeds really? I mean they are not really what I would call elite clubs and shouldn't Jonathan at least go to an elite club to at least further his development into being world class?

Leeds United is a Legacy club like Nottingham Forest. They were the the best club in England in the 60-70s basically the Don Revie era they were runners up in two European Cup finals and won numerous league titles and cups. They won the last first division in 1991 before the premier league started. They hve fallen on hard  times in Recent years but have one of the largest fan based in England outside of the top 6. There is a great doc on Amazon that goes into Leeds United. Worth a watch. They are an Elite club  

The premier league has a different level of physicality and pressure. If things don’t go your way after 5-6 games especially as a striker( ask Morata at Chelsea)  u can be written off. So will be a real challenge but they hve a world class manager and a very good team which they will definitely be looking to improve  

im not saying Leeds is the right fit for Jonny or not   Just wanted to be clear they are a BIG club and with Bielsa in charge and the right amount of money don’t right them off. 

Edited by spitfire

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

They know how to hang around..

19-20 10th

18-19 15th

17-18 7th

16-17 16th

They do. So did Watford: 13th, 17th, 14th, 11th, down. Dyche will leave at some point.
Leeds are one of those teams modern fans of English get all excited about, probably because they have lower league street cred (like Man City did for the sub-generation before them), and they also had a nice little Cool Britannia moment again in the 90s, but looking beyond the Isles it would be a very middling move at best. And Bielsa gives people the tingles though world class is certainly a stretch.

But I get the appeal for EPL fans...a half step up from Gent, a shirt their friends might recognize,  and to a "sexy" sleeping giant as opposed to the boring ones like Forest and Villa or a move to a place like Lille or Leverkusen, which many can't place or pronounce.

Edited by The Real Marc

8 hours ago, jordan said:

There was an article prior to the game against Metz that indicated Lille were considering an improved bid. David was on the initial game sheet as a bench option prior to being removed.

edit- here’s the article ‪https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200728_95081765‬ 

I'm glad he showed up for preseason, and is fulfilling his contractual obligations. Also that he is ready to dress and play.

Also that Gent is not playing him: a typical thing you see when a club is close to a sale, and they don't want to risk an injury that would kill a deal. 

You only require a player you want to sell to play preseason if you are shopping him around still. This suggests that there is no need to do that, there is nothing he can do now to raise or alter his value.

Market value is determined by what buyers are willing to pay, no? If JD has said that he'll only play for Lille, which he hasn't, then no other club would be motivated to bid. If there's a higher bid, Gent would be using that figure to push up Lille's offer. It's all part of the dance. I suspect that JD will be in a Lille shirt within the month.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Market value is determined by what buyers are willing to pay, no? If JD has said that he'll only play for Lille, which he hasn't, then no other club would be motivated to bid. If there's a higher bid, Gent would be using that figure to push up Lille's offer. It's all part of the dance. I suspect that JD will be in a Lille shirt within the month.

Agreed, but to add to the dance: 

-what clubs with money to sign seriously underperformed last season?

-what clubs have owners with deep pockets and ambition to sign for the future?

-clubs who have just sold players and are flush 

Lille only fits into the last category. 

If I were to be honest, no club in Spain fits.

In Germany, don't think there is one either. 

In England, Spurs and Arsenal. If you say Leeds, fine, but IMO Leeds needs to tweak an existing block with proven experience and find a way to stay in EPL next season.  Bielsa can tweak with high value and very competitive players at lower prices from South America.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed, but to add to the dance: 

-what clubs with money to sign seriously underperformed last season?

-what clubs have owners with deep pockets and ambition to sign for the future?

-clubs who have just sold players and are flush 

Lille only fits into the last category. 

If I were to be honest, no club in Spain fits.

In Germany, don't think there is one either. 

In England, Spurs and Arsenal. If you say Leeds, fine, but IMO Leeds needs to tweak an existing block with proven experience and find a way to stay in EPL next season.  Bielsa can tweak with high value and very competitive players at lower prices from South America.

Then in that case please send David to Arsenal or Tottenham. Preferably Arsenal.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yes and people are willing to offer more so yah Lille will likely offer more but... Leeds may really really want him. So let's see

Edited by SpursFlu

Leeds journos now seem to be of the opinion that the interest in David was not that serious.  One said in a Q&A

"I’m told David was on a longer list of forwards the club was looking at, but he’s so far down the track with Lille, United are no longer pursuing him at this stage.” 

So the Gent chairman was telling porkies or a journalist is making stuff up or somewhere in between.  Take it for it's worth.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/leeds-uniteds-stance-on-trio-of-transfer-targets-revealed/

Edit more sort of news

The Sun interviewed Joe Fournier, David's coach in high school  (no idea if some of you might know him).  Basically a filler piece as he can't really add anything to the present situation but nice to see some Canadian soccer coaches get some press over here, even if it is the Sun. 

"HE'S THE ONE": Arsenal and Leeds target Jonathan David’s former coach reveals he would be perfectly suited for Marcelo Bielsa’s side

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12276460/leeds-jonathan-david-marcelo-bielsa-coach/

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

while I would encourage everyone to click the link to give the website/author their due, here is the translated article for those of us would otherwise not be able to understand it:
————————————-

Northern leaders remain focused on the 20-year-old Canadian striker and will try, in the coming days, to convince their counterparts at La Gantoise. In the other direction, Gabriel would have to choose his destination. Napoli, Manchester United and Everton are on pole to welcome him.

To replace Victor Osimhen, LOSC has been thinking for a long time about Jonathan David ( 20 years old, 48 goals, 20 assists in 95 games in all competitions during his two seasons at La Gantoise). Relations between the two clubs were complex in July, especially when the player declared, in L'Équipe, his love for the northern club. “ He's a player we really like, whom Luis(Campos, sports advisor) and his teams know very well. And who, in addition, had the courage to declare in the press where he wanted to play. What not everyone does. I have a lot of respect for that, ”Gérard Lopez insisted on RMC at the start of the week

Angry, Belgian leaders did not appreciate the northern method. They also felt that the first offers from LOSC did not meet their expectations. Lille suffered a first refusal with an approach of 25 million euros including 5 bonus. But on the Buffalos side, we felt the bonuses were difficult to access. The second attempt, 27 million euros including 2 bonus, has not yet been deemed sufficient

On the side of Luchin, some began to think that the file was taking the lead in the wing. Convinced by the qualities and the potential of the attacker, by his desire also to wear the Lille jersey, the northern officials are preparing to return to the charge in the coming days. They would then propose a firm offer of 30 million without bonus to La Gantoise to make them change their mind . If this file is concluded under these conditions, Jonathan David would then become the most expensive transfer for a player leaving the Jupiler League.

Interesting that it appears Lille are making a third bid (maybe everyone else knew that but I was unaware of a second bid).

Also interesting (to me anyway) is the people at Lille appear to be impressed that David was willing to speak out in the press about his desire to join LOSC. 

On 7/30/2020 at 4:30 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you say Leeds, fine, but IMO Leeds needs to tweak an existing block with proven experience and find a way to stay in EPL next season.  Bielsa can tweak with high value and very competitive players at lower prices from South America.

There are rumours that Bielsa might try to sign André Ayew from Swansea:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53606430

Ayew was brilliant under Bielsa at Marseille.

I still think Lille is probably the better move for David.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There are rumours that Bielsa mighttry to sign André Ayew from Swansea:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53606430

Ayew was brilliant under Bielsa at Marseille.

I still think Lille is probably the better move for David.

Being a Ghanaian Canadian I would love it if Andre ends up at Leeds with Bielsa especially if Bielsa wants him. However, if David ends up at Lille, then I personally would not mind it if he ends up at Lille. He replaces the Nigerian they have leaving. David would be around stars at Lille and he would also have that potential to play Champions League football/Europa League football with them. It really is a win win for David if he goes to France to play for Lille.

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Being a Ghanaian Canadian I would love it if Andre ends up at Leeds with Bielsa especially if Bielsa wants him. However, if David ends up at Lille, then I personally would not mind it if he ends up at Lille. He replaces the Nigerian they have leaving. David would be around stars at Lille and he would also have that potential to play Champions League football/Europa League football with them. It really is a win win for David if he goes to France to play for Lille.

Yeah Andre Ayew scored 15 goals in the Championship. He has Premier League experience. Would be a solid signing for a group short on EPL know-how.

As for David, I think it's unanimous that Lille is the better move. I think it happens.