Jonathan David

Vince193

Would Leeds be that bad?   Won the Championship and willing to invest in players of his calibre to try and stay up in the Premier League for a while?   We usually hope for transfers of CMNT players to top leagues and David would be moving to a top 3 league without an interim step to France - albeit with a newly promoted team.  It is a great level of play, would likely give him tons of playing time (against a lot of quality teams), and if he is successful it would raise his profile immensely.  

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Would Leeds be that bad?   Won the Championship and willing to invest in players of his calibre to try and stay up in the Premier League for a while?   We usually hope for transfers of CMNT players to top leagues and David would be moving to a top 3 league without an interim step to France - albeit with a newly promoted team.  It is a great level of play, would likely give him tons of playing time (against a lot of quality teams), and if he is successful it would raise his profile immensely.  

Its really difficult for strikers on bottom tier teams to be productive. Examples Joelngton and Haller who were bought for about 40 mill I beleibe and have like 3 goals combined. 

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Its really difficult for strikers on bottom tier teams to be productive. Examples Joelngton and Haller who were bought for about 40 mill I beleibe and have like 3 goals combined. 

Haller got 7 off the top of my head alone. But has essentially been replaced since the restart by Antonio.  

On topic edit : Leeds would be interesting.  Personally rather not see him go to Dirty Dirty Leeds for club reasons but trying to think  rationally and with my Canadian hat on:  Bamford has been their man, did not show he could do much in the Premier League before. Bielsa is an interesting coach. Maybe.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to mention Bielsa's system would fit him like a glove. Leeds will also have to make some upgrades up front to compete in the PL and David's quality and versatiliy is exactly what they need.

Edited by Zem

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

That isn’t a given though - and will depend on the team.  I know Leicester was an absolute exception when they were first promoted, but Vardy had an immediate impact after promotion.  And if Leeds could stay up and solidify a spot in the EPL, I wouldn’t be worried about a single season of reduced production from David. It could still be huge for his growth.  

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Haller got 7 off the top of my head alone. But had essentially been replaced since the restart by Antonio. 

my bad. but still joelington is a pretty good example, sammatta i dont think has scored a goal in half a season and he came from belgium. I  might be off on this one too but I think only 1 of the 3 promoted teams usually stays up ? I would rather he not go to a team who has a decent shot of going back down. 

9 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

my bad. but still joelington is a pretty good example, sammatta i dont think has scored a goal in half a season and he came from belgium. I  might be off on this one too but I think only 1 of the 3 promoted teams usually stays up ? I would rather he not go to a team who has a decent shot of going back down. 

No problem just happened to be watching goals and thinking about our future (very limited) transfer activity when I opened the thread. Wesley with Aston Villa might be another example for your case though.  5 goals and a big injury and a big chance of going down today.

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Depends what kind of striker they are, David is excellent on the counter, so I doubt he would have as much trouble as guys like Haller and Samatta.

Also, we have no idea if Leeds will actually be a bottom-tier team. Despite the big gap, it isn't that uncommon for newly-promoted PL clubs to be really competitive in year one (see Sheffield United).

4 minutes ago, Zem said:

Depends what kind of striker they are, David is excellent on the counter, so I doubt he would have as much trouble as guys like Haller and Samatta.

Also, we have no idea if Leeds will actually be a bottom-tier team. Despite the big gap, it isn't that uncommon for newly-promoted PL clubs to be really competitive in year one (see Sheffield United).

The Blades play a very interesting system that people have yet to completely come to grips with.  But their results have since the restart have left them in the bottom half.  If they don't invest a lot, I think they will struggle next season.  

Norwich won the Championship last year.

Wolves with their investment and agent connections is the only team I would be reasonably confident of keeping the level competitiveness they got their first season.

Hull, Reading, Swansea, Cardiff, QPR, Fulham, all teams that I can remember being promoted semi-recently and some of whom invested a lot. 

More specifically on topic

Not sure if this has been posted but translated comments from the Gent chairman

"De Witte has been discussing the forward's situation and admitted that he'd already rejected a bid of £23million including bonuses from Ligue 1 side Lille.

The club are holding out for an offer closer to £27m for their 20-year-old talent.

"I have only expressed my annoyance that contacts have been made with Lille behind our back," De Witte told Belgian publication De Zondag.

"There were no contacts last week, but that they have made a transfer impossible because of that is a bridge too far.

"The contacts were stopped this week, but other clubs are still interested. With much better proposals even. Including Leeds.""

He is annoyed with "contacts" from the player's side?

Edit from the Express https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1314543/Leeds-Transfer-News-Jonathan-David-Man-Utd-Arsenal-Gossip-Latest

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

More specifically on topic

Not sure if this has been posted but translated comments from the Gent chairman

"De Witte has been discussing the forward's situation and admitted that he'd already rejected a bid of £23million including bonuses from Ligue 1 side Lille.

The club are holding out for an offer closer to £27m for their 20-year-old talent.

"I have only expressed my annoyance that contacts have been made with Lille behind our back," De Witte told Belgian publication De Zondag.

"There were no contacts last week, but that they have made a transfer impossible because of that is a bridge too far.

"The contacts were stopped this week, but other clubs are still interested. With much better proposals even. Including Leeds.""

He is annoyed with "contacts" from the player's side?

Edit from the Express https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1314543/Leeds-Transfer-News-Jonathan-David-Man-Utd-Arsenal-Gossip-Latest

He agreed personal terms with Lille before there was even an agreement between the clubs.  I could see why that might anger them a little

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

He agreed personal terms with Lille before there was even an agreement between the clubs.  I could see why that might anger them a little

Found the original interview and Google translated it. There is a little more there. 

"Even without Jonathan David? Is it still playing for AA Gent on 9 August? And immediately: if yes, then until after the two preliminary rounds of the Champions League?

To your first question: I think so. The second: that is a track, yes. But there may be other slopes. I had an extensive conversation with Jonathan last Monday. To his question, he was not feeling too well with all the fuss. I explained again to Jonathan that we want him to play for us this season. And also explained to him that this is also better for him in sporting terms.

That fuss that you are referring to: last week you lashed out at his broker, in your opinion, together with Lille OSC, the inspirer of an interview in L'Equipe in which David put a lot of pressure on Ghent.

'Heavy pulling' is what the press made of it here. I have only expressed my annoyance that contacts have been made with Lille behind our back, that Jonathan has clearly packed. Against all rules. An orchestrated action from his broker and the club. There were no contacts last week, but that they have made a transfer impossible because of that is a bridge too far. (smiles) There are already many dead in the grave of 'principles'. In addition, I know Jonathan myself as an exceptionally fair and sensible boy with a super mentality and attitude, that interview was a piece of art. (sigh) A few weeks ago it still sounded loud that he only wants to go to the Bundesliga and now he necessarily wants to go to France…: isn't that really bizarre? As if Lille would be such a great step forward for Jonathan. Is one then thinking of the player's career? The contacts were stopped this week, but other clubs are still interested. With much better proposals even. Including Leeds."

More on agents and David's coming to Gent in the later questions

https://www.dezondag.be/ivandewitte260720/

I think it depends on what style Leeds plans to play. If they’re going to just bunker, then I agree that it would not be great for David to go there. I’m assuming with Bielsa’s reputation, he’d play a more attractive style. Maybe someone who watches Championship would know this better than I would, since I haven’t watched Leeds play this season.

Funny, I quite like the idea of the Leeds move. Yet wouldn't want him at Newcastle out of fear we would break him. Leeds are in the PL to stay imo. Also like Newcastle potentially (but probably never at this point) being taken over by the Saudis, Qatar are rumoured to be eyeing up Leeds. 

So maybe I want him at Newcastle after all 😛 

5 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Funny, but that is exactly how the process went with Morelos and Rangers.  Still nothing confirmed as of right now but the rumours/stories/tweets are certainly out there from numerous sources and I would not be surprised if this transfer is pushed through in the next 24 hours.

Rangers will need to get another striker or two in this week as Defoe is injured right now and might not be ready for Aberdeen on the weekend.

Edited by gwsmith63

5 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Funny, but that is exactly how the process went with Morelos and Rangers. 

Happens all the time with (at least tacit) permission from the selling club. Either Gent didn't give permission or don't want to say they did (though with how vehement the chairman seems, I would doubt he put any such permission in writing).

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Happens all the time with (at least tacit) permission from the selling club. Either Gent didn't give permission or don't want to say they did (though with how vehement the chairman seems, I would doubt he put any such permission in writing).

Not saying it doesn't, just highlights the seedy underbelly of football agents and how easy it is to cause unrest between a player and his Club.  Morelos had signed a few new contracts in the last year with Rangers which he and his reps were more than happy with.  It was set to expire in 2023.  I understand that scenario allows Rangers to cash in long before that but it is a side of the game that is really garbage and agents know it.