Jonathan David

Vince193

I wonder if David is better off just staying with Gent and playing Champions League? He is the star of his team and they'll be plenty of eye balls on him. He'll keep scoring in the Belgian league. He's still only 20 years old. I dunno, Leeds doesn't feel like the right step to me. They could be Sheffield United and finish in the top half of the prem, or they can struggle at the bottom. There is an uncertainty there for me.

Better to take the Champions League football with Gent and make the right move, instead of moving for the sake of it.

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if David is better off just staying with Gent and playing Champions League? He is the star of his team and they'll be plenty of eye balls on him. He'll keep scoring in the Belgian league. He's still only 20 years old. I dunno, Leeds doesn't feel like the right step to me. They could be Sheffield United and finish in the top half of the prem, or they can struggle at the bottom. There is an uncertainty there for me.

Better to take the Champions League football with Gent and make the right move, instead of moving for the sake of it.

I just don't see what he has left to prove with Gent. A good showing in the Champions League would be great, but they're unlikely to make it very far, even with David. That's a pretty big gamble to take imo, as they could easily get overrun without him making an impression. He's already going to be the record transfer for the club and the league at this point. Another season dominating the league could find him in the exact same situation next year. He'd still be unproven at a higher level. 

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

I just don't see what he has left to prove with Gent. A good showing in the Champions League would be great, but they're unlikely to make it very far, even with David. That's a pretty big gamble to take imo, as they could easily get overrun without him making an impression. He's already going to be the record transfer for the club and the league at this point. Another season dominating the league could find him in the exact same situation next year. He'd still be unproven at a higher level. 

Staying at Gent is definitely not ideal, but I think going to Leeds is a much bigger gamble than staying at Gent. 

Edited by Obinna

I would guess the Leeds leak from the chairman is posturing, but it would be cool to see him there. I think he would fit Bielsa's squad very well. He is versatile, hungry, and mobile. I could see Bielsa using him as a deeper player at times, even.

I think Leeds are different from many Championship sides that come up. I expect them to finish comfortably in the midtable next season.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Staying at Gent is definitely not ideal, but I think going to Leeds is a much bigger gamble than staying at Gent. 

Hard to separate this from biases but Leeds are a historically big club that should have a better chance than some.  They are a lot like Villa to me (and there are a number of similarities between Wesley and David) and Villa needed technology to break to stay in the league.  (And most of our players to sleepwalk through the final game of season)  

Still prefer Germany or Italy myself.  Or see how Gent do in Champions League qualifying.

That said, you could twist my rubber arm and I would take him at West Ham, if the owners somehow found 30 mill in the cushions of their (casting) couch.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if David is better off just staying with Gent and playing Champions League?

To optimize his development over the next couple of years, David needs to be on a team where he’s surrounded by players who are at a higher level than he is. He needs to be pushed every training session to raise his game to their level. That’s not going to happen at Gent where he’s already their best player. I'm not sure if Leeds is the answer either.

It’s somewhat similar to Davies, in his last year with the Caps, where it was clear that he had already surpassed all of his teammates and needed to be exposed to a higher level in order to accelerate his development.

11 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

To optimize his development over the next couple of years, David needs to be on a team where he’s surrounded by players who are at a higher level than he is. He needs to be pushed every training session to raise his game to their level. That’s not going to happen at Gent where he’s already their best player. I'm not sure if Leeds is the answer either.

It’s somewhat similar to Davies, in his last year with the Caps, where it was clear that he had already surpassed all of his teammates and needed to be exposed to a higher level in order to accelerate his development.

I agree. He has nothing to prove at Gent, and Leeds is not an ideal move, in my opinion anyways. I don't want him to move for the sake of it. Things can change in 6 months. Perhaps he has a strong CL group stage and the right move comes around in winter. 

I really hope Lille are posturing and come back in for him with an improved bid. 

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I really hope Lille are posturing and come back in for him with an improved bid. 

Alfredo Morelos saying all the right things about concentrating on being a Gers players despite wanting to play in a better league (honestly and unfortunately David's camp might learn a thing or two from that) and Jermaine Defoe has gone down injured so Lille's move for the Colombian striker is not as done as the over eager press reported a day or so ago. 

So maybe still a chance.

Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/alfredo-morelos-breaks-rangers-exit-22425720

I think Gent has every intention of selling him during this window. David hasn't made an appearance in any of their 4 friendlies yet. Gent has a one game elimination to determine if they move on through qualifying in the Champions League in September. If they intend to keep him and try to progress through Champions League there is no way they dont incorporate their best player into the lineup. I believe they are simply holding out for the highest bid, which you can't really argue with.

My observation is his agent is trying to craft his career in a way to make the most money. The playbook is out there to gradually progress players to the epl to maximize the amount of money exchanging hands. Not to say Lille isn't what's best for him but I think Leeds is comparable in I think he would start. But epl is not as good of an environment for a 20 yr old as League1 with a player of David's profile. Leeds is a bigger challenge. It's an interesting dilemma 

Edited by SpursFlu

Ahh not liking the idea of Leeds. I could be biased as I am an EPL fan but just doesn’t feel like the right jump.

EPL is a choppy, fight for everything type of league with insane pressure. Particularly if you’re a mid to bottom table club. 

The potential to flop is extraordinarily high (I know this is a bit pessimistic) and in turn, if you have some success, yes a team like Chelsea or United may snatch you up.

Feels like the more logical route is somewhere like Lille or any of the German teams that were interested. Coincidentally, you perform at a high level (kind of like he’s expected to) and you do indeed generate the interest from those “top clubs” that I mentioned above (yes, I know those aren’t the best examples, trying to be reasonable 😁)

Can anyone confirm that David was even on the bench against Metz?

I follow the Gent instagram account and post game he was clearly wearing his Gent sweater and sweat pants (and ball cap iirc), rather than the typical track suit you'd expect him in had he been playing or on the bench. The other guys around him were still in their uniforms. 

I could be reading too much into it though....

Edited by Obinna

18 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I know Leeds has some oohlahlah with Bielsa, but without him I don't see the attraction of Leeds and choosing where to go based on the manager is a dumb move. Pretty much any non-relegated team is less risky than Leeds, save for maybe Burnley or Sheffield United having hangovers next year.

Burnley is never going away ahaha

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can anyone confirm that David was even on the bench against Metz?

I follow the Gent instagram account and post game he was clearly wearing his Gent sweater and sweat pants (and ball cap iirc), rather than the typical track suit you'd expect him in had he been playing or on the bench. The other guys around him were still in their uniforms. 

I could be reading too much into it though....

Just my opinion, but I think he is 100% gone.  At this point they are just haggling price with the suitors.  He won’t play for them again. 

20 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I know Leeds has some oohlahlah with Bielsa, but without him I don't see the attraction of Leeds and choosing where to go based on the manager is a dumb move. Pretty much any non-relegated team is less risky than Leeds, save for maybe Burnley or Sheffield United having hangovers next year.

But that happens quite often and Bielsa is a top manager and could be a great mover other than the fact he doesn’t last long at clubs.