Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

46 minutes ago, grigorio said:

A few years back Richie was on the scrap heap at Orlando after burning through his early 20s and not making a mark professionally. The fact that some now are saying he shouldn’t go to the Championship (and become our player at a highest level in England) because he can “easily” slot into sides in the Bundesliga, Serie A or even the Prem is making my head spin. 

I agree with this. He’ll improve more in the championship and maybe he ends up at a higher level, the man wanted a move to Europe and got it and this opens up the spot for Kobe Franklin.

I'm pleased and impressed as well. I just love how these guys are getting out there and showing such mentality, such drive, to improve their careers. 

Yes, we could argue that TFC and Forest are similar, but this puts him into the English market, where there is a lot of movement. He also should be making more money. 

But the real question I have: how long before Richie sees his first red card in the Championship?

There's also just a higher level of competition and expectation in England and Europe in general. Not that Laryea was ever one to lack competitive spirit, but the more players who are playing in European football environments and not in North American soccer environments the better for Canada (imo).

I have watched lots of Championship football for years being a QPR fan, this is a great move for him because it gets him exposed to so many more styles of play week in and week out, there are 24 teams and it's a 46 match schedule! He will match up against teams who were recently relegated and are still on the big money parachute payments as well as big clubs with ambitions to get back to the EPL, Forest think they are one of those clubs!

If this is true this kid deserves it. I remember posting on this board when Laryea was let go by Orlando and he was trialing with TFC yes trialing , I basically posted that it was up to him to impress TFC and hopefully get signed. I also remember posting that if he made the team he needed to do what Osorio did when he was given playing time , take any playing time TFC gave you and make it hard for them to sit you. This kid did exactly that from the first time he stepped on the field for TFC he impressed. I remember being at the first few games he played and could not believe that this was a player Orlando just let go who was basically cut from their team. He has become one of my favourite Canadian players on our national team just for the fact that after being cut from Orlando he didn’t give up and has turned out to be the player he is now . I’ll definitely miss him watching him play live with TFC but good for him with this move if it happens and don’t be surprised that in a couple of years there is an even bigger move for this kid .

^ Laryea turns 27 in two days. If he follows the typical talent curve of footballers, he is in the middle of his prime. If moving to Europe is a career goal of his, and it seems to be, there is no sense waiting an extra year or two for a better move that may never materialize. He'll be getting a raise, surely, and if he performs well could move to EPL by transfer or promotion. 

35 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't go, or that it's a terrible move. I'm satisfied with it, but I clearly don't consider the championship as high of a level as some of you do, and MLS as low of a level. 

You are missing a huge factor/advantage that most EPL scouts are in the same country. Exposure at Nottingham will be way higher than MLS