Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

MLS is clearly a fine level! How many CMNT players play in that league? And clearly they are doing fine for the nats! The Canadian team is made up primarily of MLS players...

Currently in MLS:
Cav
Laryea
Buchanan
Max
Miller
Piette
Oso
Johnston
Kaye
Fraser

Were in MLS:
Henry
Davies
Larin

Currently in MLS:
Cav - DP player
Laryea - underpaid star (inarguably)
Buchanan - outgoing young star
Max - starting goalkeeper
Miller - dependable starter
Piette - dependable starter
Oso - TAM player
Johnston - dependable starter
Kaye - underpaid star (arguably)
Fraser - new to being a starter

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, Addona said:

He was incredible yesterday!  Can I ask a serious question?  How in the fuck did this guy not get noticed as being this good earlier in his career?  Like, WTF?!?  Were teams blind?  Did he develop incredibly late?  I am so befuddled by this ... when I watch him now, his quality is so evident that I think, how could professional scouts and coaches not seen this day in and day out.  In addition to his assist, almost goal, incredible last second defensive clearance that surely saved a goal, and countless other dangerous runs, I was noticing him hustle up and down the field in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd match of this window.  How he was not absolutely gassed by then, I can't comprehend.

In addition to what has been said, he was used as a central attacking midfielder in Orlando (at least from the little bit I saw him, he may have been used as a centre mid or winger as well). I am pretty sure he was never used as a full back until he went to TFC.

Still, from the little I did see of him he was obviously quality so I am with you.

36 minutes ago, El Diego said:

In addition to what has been said, he was used as a central attacking midfielder in Orlando (at least from the little bit I saw him, he may have been used as a centre mid or winger as well). I am pretty sure he was never used as a full back until he went to TFC.

Still, from the little I did see of him he was obviously quality so I am with you.

Yes, that's what I remember as well.  Pretty sure he was a midfielder at UConn and he did really well there.  It is tough for a young midfielder to break into MLS as that is where you will find a number of DPs/imports playing.

The situation that you enter into is almost as important as your skill.  If there are no opportunities, its tough to progress.

30 minutes ago, Addona said:

He was incredible yesterday!  Can I ask a serious question?  How in the fuck did this guy not get noticed as being this good earlier in his career?  Like, WTF?!?  Were teams blind?  Did he develop incredibly late?  I am so befuddled by this ... when I watch him now, his quality is so evident that I think, how could professional scouts and coaches not seen this day in and day out.  In addition to his assist, almost goal, incredible last second defensive clearance that surely saved a goal, and countless other dangerous runs, I was noticing him hustle up and down the field in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd match of this window.  How he was not absolutely gassed by then, I can't comprehend.

There was a lot of buzz around Lareya in college, he was in a big program, left early with a Generation Adidas contract, picked number 7.  He was as an exiting a prospect as Buchanon.  Playing a more central role then and with Orlando maybe didnt fit his skill set, or more acurately play to his strengths the way a wingback position does.  He didnt get more than a couple hundred minutes with Orlando per year, hardly enough to show much, but he didnt set the world on fire in USL either.  Change of scenery, change of position, playing back in canada...it all had to help.  I am sure he has even admitted that becoming a father helped motivate him and there was minutes to be had at RB/RWB with a new club, new coach at TFC in 2019. 

But its a crap shoot eh??  If TFC coaching (Vanney) hadnt pushed him into a RB spot, or if Arena hadnt put Buchanon at FB for the end of the last season...let them showcase what they could do, both might still  be stuck on the bench somewhere.  Its why I am so adamant about the youngsters at TFC be given a real chance.  So many guys struggle for a year or two coming into the league and thats it.  

16 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yes, that's what I remember as well.  Pretty sure he was a midfielder at UConn and he did really well there.  It is tough for a young midfielder to break into MLS as that is where you will find a number of DPs/imports playing.

The situation that you enter into is almost as important as your skill.  If there are no opportunities, its tough to progress.

Played his NCAA ball for the Akron Zips but definitely a midfielder.  Both Akron and Sigma valued a lot of positional versatility in their playing style though so its not surprising he could make the transition.

14 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Played his NCAA ball for the Akron Zips but definitely a midfielder.  Both Akron and Sigma valued a lot of positional versatility in their playing style though so its not surprising he could make the transition.

For some reason I had him following Larin at UConn.  Guess I messed that up.  That'll teach me for failing to do a simple google.

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There was a lot of buzz around Lareya in college, he was in a big program, left early with a Generation Adidas contract, picked number 7.  He was as an exiting a prospect as Buchanon.  Playing a more central role then and with Orlando maybe didnt fit his skill set, or more acurately play to his strengths the way a wingback position does.  He didnt get more than a couple hundred minutes with Orlando per year, hardly enough to show much, but he didnt set the world on fire in USL either.  Change of scenery, change of position, playing back in canada...it all had to help.  I am sure he has even admitted that becoming a father helped motivate him and there was minutes to be had at RB/RWB with a new club, new coach at TFC in 2019. 

But its a crap shoot eh??  If TFC coaching (Vanney) hadnt pushed him into a RB spot, or if Arena hadnt put Buchanon at FB for the end of the last season...let them showcase what they could do, both might still  be stuck on the bench somewhere.  Its why I am so adamant about the youngsters at TFC be given a real chance.  So many guys struggle for a year or two coming into the league and thats it.  

I think you're bang on in terms of Laryea's path to get where he is. I also agree that player development can be a bit of a crap shoot. And of course, contrary to what you may believe, I too want the youngsters to get more of a real chance at TFC, primarily because these guys are Canadian and it benefits our program to have them succeed. 

At the same time (you know where I am going), I must (again) point out that it's a two-way street. The club definitely needs to do a better job finding opportunities, but the players needs to perform better when the chance comes.

To be fair to these young guys, they could use a manager/system/culture that prioritizes development and doesn't yank them out when they make a mistake, because if you're scared to make a mistake, you're not going to perform.

I am not convinced guys like Nelsen, Okello and Rutty are in an environment where they can play freely, and if each of these guys were at an FC Dallas, NYRB or Philadelphia Union they'd be much further along. 

So I get that, but how many Cups have these teams won? I wish TFC were FCD in this regard, but they aren't. 

Either way, as far as the national team fans are concerned, it's not good enough from TFC, that we can all agree on.

In the meantime, these young players have to make lemonade out of lemons, or leave the club.

Priso is doing it despite the challenges, Schaffleburg is to an extent. The ultimate responsibility lies with the players, they need to force the coaches to play them, such as Ralph has done. 

Edited by Obinna

From what I remember, the talk around Laryea when he was in college was that he was obviously a quality player, but nobody had any idea what his best position was - he could and did play everywhere in midfield, including wide, and did the same in Orlando, but I don't think anyone ever actually tried him at full-back until Vanney

22 hours ago, Free kick said:

This post is appearing blank to me.   Not sure why.   Odd considering two people clicked “Like” 😀 

Were you on your phone? I have had blank tweets on this website when viewing from my phone (iPhone using Chrome). I am able to see the tweet you can't at the moment using my laptop.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Were you on your phone? I have had blank tweets on this website when viewing from my phone (iPhone using Chrome). I am able to see the tweet you can't at the moment using my laptop.

Now i can see it.   But i am using my ipad at this moment.  I might have been using my phone the first time i read it.  And yes, i do used chrome on my phone.   You might have solved it.

Edited by Free kick

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Been wanting to say this for a while - though I'm sure someone else has beaten me to it - but after rewatching the game today it's absolutely crystal clear that Richie's talents are lost on TFC. He needs to be playing at a higher level somewhere else.

I think that is likely the case for more than a few players. TFC has totally been out of sorts his season. Ritchie has been a totally revelation for them after they took him off the scrap heap and has shown he could totally make the move to Europe and I am sure he will. It is simply an opportunity he can not pass up. 

Problem is:  if the best that a CND player like Tajon can do is land at Brugge, then what kind of fate or european club awaits Laryea?

its kind of frustrating because two other MLS lesser lights like Gianluca Busio (SKC) and Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas) moved to a Serie A club this year.   Are Canadians underappreciated in Europe?  I dont know, i would like to think not.  
Personally,  i would rather seem stay with TFC as opposed to going to some club overseas that we never get to see.

Edited by Free kick