Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Problem is:  if the best that a CND player like tajon can do is land at Brugge, then what kind of fate or european club awaits Laryea?

its kind of frustrating because two other MLS lesser lights like Gianluca Busio (SKC) and Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas) moved this year to a Serie A club this year.   Are Canadians underappreciated in Europe?  I dont know, i would like to think not.  

Do we know if Tajon picked a situation where he can actually progress as a player rather than be buried somewhere. For instance Chelsea was mentioned , but would that really make sense at this point. They are a perfect example of a big club that signs a bunch of players only to loan them out. 

6 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Do we know if Tajon picked a situation where he can actually progress as a player rather than be buried somewhere. For instance Chelsea was mentioned , but would that really make sense at this point. They are a perfect example of a big club that signs a bunch of players only to loan them out. 

Suppose he landed at Chelsea,   And then Chelsea loans him out to Brugge (or a similar club).   Does that mean he would be better off going to Brugge directly instaed?   I dont think so because at least he would have had a chance to show himself to Chelsea.  He would have been on their books.

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

Suppose he landed Chelsea,   And then the Chelsea loans him out to Brugge (or a similar club).   Does that mean he would be better off going to Brugge directly instaed?   I dont think so because at least he would have had a chance to show himself to Chelsea.

And get paid way more probably 

The Americans are moving overseas at younger ages as well. Busio is a 2002 and Tessmann is a 2001. Pepi is a 2003 and his move is coming up. 

Tajon being 1999 is somewhat of a knock against in this case. We need young Canadians impressing in MLS at earlier ages in order to get these deals to bigger clubs in bigger leagues. 

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Suppose he landed at Chelsea,   And then Chelsea loans him out to Brugge (or a similar club).   Does that mean he would be better off going to Brugge directly instaed?   I dont think so because at least he would have had a chance to show himself to Chelsea.  He would have been on their books.

Depends on if it's a regular loan (if such a thing exists for Chelsea) or a loan-army loan. 

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I guess the example of a player I was thinking of is Matt Miazga , who choose to sign with Chelsea as a high touted player can’t miss kid and basically has been on loan ever since to five different clubs. I just think a situation like this is not ideal but what do I know, maybe Matt is happy with it. 

3 minutes ago, lenny said:

They moved to a club that just squeaked into Serie A and may be back to B next season.   Brugge is a bigger and better club.

You can always tell how serious the opportunity is by the transfer fee. That’s really telling. Is their potentially for some one to surpass Phonzie’s 22M . Maybe. Peppi will be the interesting one. 

The Canadian discount will soon end. Cdn players are making a significant impact in several top leagues as is our current WCQ performances. Laryea's ability on the ball was on full display v Mexico. The number of times he was able to break the press hugging the sideline was incredible. Mexico was  not able to press us into booting the ball as in years past and it is because of the skill of players like Laryea & Eustaquio playing in defensive positions that are able to spring the attack

Bayern hit a home run paying 22 for Davies.  I'm sure part of that was nobody thought a CDN would go right to the stratosphere.  Europe has to be waking up to that now, even if Brugge got Tajon for a steal as well.  And they have to be seeing that a lot of our guys get a late jump on things and might be a couple years behind grade 9 wiz kids.  

However, if Laryea's  stays in MLS, but on Osorios level ($$ wise), I dont think that will be disappointing.  Its a league thats is getting better everyday and he is already 26 with time left on his current contract.    

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The Canadian discount will soon end. Cdn players are making a significant impact in several top leagues as is our current WCQ performances. Laryea's ability on the ball was on full display v Mexico. The number of times he was able to break the press hugging the sideline was incredible. Mexico was  not able to press us into booting the ball as in years past and it is because of the skill of players like Laryea & Eustaquio playing in defensive positions that are able to spring the attack

Agree with this 100%.  There are some really smart football clubs out there that are successful because they consistently find players that are better than their transfer fee suggests.   That can be under appreciated youth prospects or mid career guys who are playing at a level lower than their talent warrants.  Well guess what - we have a number of them. The exposure of this campaign (and the impressive results we are chalking up) and the additional spotlight of getting to Qatar, could be the jumpstart that gets a few guys on the radars of teams that would otherwise overlook them. 

19 hours ago, lenny said:

They moved to a club that just squeaked into Serie A and may be back to B next season.   Brugge is a bigger and better club.

That is true.  They are in the relegation spot now. But in the long term they have been trending upwards.  

They do have an american owner. I dont know if that has anything to do with it.  Then again,  there is a canadian owner of a Serie A club.  But it really hasnt meant anything in terms of opportunities.

Edited by Free kick

Also got spit on tonight, horrible stuff. Wish CONCACAF would actually do something about it. Out of all our players you hate to see it happen to such a great guy, but he's also the guy that I would not want to mess with, especially when it comes to stupid shit like spitting. I think Panama learned that the hard way tonight, and ended up weeping off the pitch like I bunch of babies. 

2 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Also got spit on tonight, horrible stuff. Wish CONCACAF would actually do something about it. Out of all our players you hate to see it happen to such a great guy, but he's also the guy that I would not want to mess with, especially when it comes to stupid shit like spitting. I think Panama learned that the hard way tonight, and ended up weeping off the pitch like I bunch of babies. 

Agreed. I'm a big critic of his defensive lapses, but he's one of the guys in the squad I would not want to mess with (others include Henry, Piette, Vitoria and Johnston).

Edit: And of course he's a talented offensive player that Herdman clearly values.

Edited by jonovision

28 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I certainly hope they do something about it, Panama turned into real shit disturbers tonight, especially post game when it appeared some of them simply did not want to leave the field, instead trying to get into with Canada. 

Well even the ref let them do whatever on the field, they realized they had free reign. 

17 hours ago, mtroads said:

Can't believe there were no cards after the melee in the corner when Doniel Henry wouldn't move out of the way.

I think the ref handled it well since there's no point in decimating a squad for the next match. 

Davies was one of the most aggressive reacting (with a very sophisticated repetition of the word "What!?"). 

If we hadn't reacted the ref would have gone over and asked Henry to move, please. And he would have. I doubt a competent ref would do cards vs one guy playing, conditioning him, and another warming up. 

There's a fan video of Panama players swarming the linesman after the Davies goal, they were there maybe 30 seconds, 4-5 of them. 

19 hours ago, mtroads said:

Can't believe there were no cards after the melee in the corner when Doniel Henry wouldn't move out of the way.

I wasn't surprised at all. Cards should have been handed out. Substitutes on the endline shouldn't impede corners. Players shouldn't be spat on. Homophobic chants shouldn't be allowed. Fans shouldn't throw beer cans and bags of "liquid" at players. I could go on.

But...

This is CONCACAF where none of this is punished so I'm glad to see that we're starting to act in the way that the federation rewards instead of being sporting and hospitable and then complaining that everyone else cheats but nothing gets done about it.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think the ref handled it well since there's no point in decimating a squad for the next match. 

Davies was one of the most aggressive reacting (with a very sophisticated repetition of the word "What!?"). 

If we hadn't reacted the ref would have gone over and asked Henry to move, please. And he would have. I doubt a competent ref would do cards vs one guy playing, conditioning him, and another warming up. 

There's a fan video of Panama players swarming the linesman after the Davies goal, they were there maybe 30 seconds, 4-5 of them. 

CONCACAF is CONCACAF and that is what happened the other night, both teams had their objectives with their actions. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I saw this, was on my side of the pitch. Their reaction made me think the ball may have gone out of play on the Davies goal, though replay clearly showed it wasn’t the case.