Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Central midfielder, born Jan. 7, 1995 in Toronto. Came up entirely through Sigma academy and then committed to the University of Akron after a Syracuse commitment fell through while playing for Sigma in L10 in the summer. Twice won NCAA player of the week this year (his sophomore year), led Akron in scoring and to the FInal Four. Has played for Canada at the U-18 level.

Has been tabbed as a GA signing by topdrawersoccer for the 2016 draft and is #9 overall on their big board.

Edited by Dub Narcotic

Ives has Laryea rated as the 3rd overall prospect for the Superdraft.

"No player in the country boosted their stock more in 2015 than Laryea, who emerged as the best playmaker in the country to help Akron make an impressive run to the College Cup semifinals. The Canadian midfielder is a deft passer, serious quickness and the physical attributes to contribute early on in his pro career despite having just finished his sophomore season. Has yet to sign a Generation adidas deal."

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/sbi-mls-draft-big-board-version-1-0

Edited by FC_Hali

Question is will he be a ga signing? I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that he's Canadian and had only one good season to be against him. Larin was highly touted two years ago, but he didn't get a ga deal then, but got one the following year. I know that they are two different players, but I'm sure that it has to weigh in the balance if he gets it or not.

They had offered Larin a GA deal as a freshman, he just wanted to come back.

They've given GA deals to several non Americans.  If they think Laryea deserves in then he will get one.

I think he's a borderline GA player, I hope he gets one and then plays for a US based team.  The Canadian MLS teams have no room for him to ply meaningful minutes.

Most of the other top GA prospects this year are non-Americans, which probably works against Laryea. However many of them are far from slam dunk signings for MLS, which could open the door for him (Danladi may try Europe, Yaro wants to finish his degree + pursue humanitarian & political work in his native Ghana, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ives cause he's one of the few MLS reporters that pays attention to the draft but he's even gone on the record talking about how much of a weird event the combine is. Tesho and Bekker certainly benefited from a strong showing in the past, but given his GA contract Laryea is still a lock to go somewhere in the first round.

22 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Was tipped likely out of pure laziness than anything else..to go to TFC in the first mock draft. Don't care where he goes as long as it is somewhere that will improve him and give him opportunities to play.

if he falls to TFC, they are definitely taking him

21 hours ago, toontownman said:

Was tipped likely out of pure laziness than anything else..to go to TFC in the first mock draft. Don't care where he goes as long as it is somewhere that will improve him and give him opportunities to play.

Here's a mock draft that has Laryea going 5th to RSL, contributed by the guy who covers RSL for the team's website.

Top Drawer Soccer Media Mock Draft

^

Ha that is funny but actually not that much of a stretch. Sigma has a good relationship with RSL and if Cassar stays on their system works with Akron so it would be a fit. I could see Orlando picking him for obvious reasons, and maybe SJ.

Sidenote: Yura Movsisyan back to RSL and if Richie went there that would be a good situation.

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I think Armen Bedakian is out to lunch if he thinks Laryea will be available for TFC to take him at #9. Plus, that would be a terrible place for Laryea to end up IMO.

https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian/status/687098829733154816

Why? GAs sometimes end up in 2nd round, so it's not a total bust. Some teams will sign players not on the Combine (IE Simonin), so draft predictions don't mean that much.

Getting picked high doesn't necessarily means you suck. Teams have different priorities.

I don't get the "counts as international" argument (well I do, but if a player is good I really don't think it applies). He's also GA, so in many ways that cancels out the negative impact from using an int slot.

I also agree - after Bekker/Welshman, I don't think Sigma are too keen on any of their players ending up at TFC.