Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Markoaleks said:

Saw video last night on One Soccer before the game- Phonzie wore 12 and LC wore 19 ( white kits- maybe gold cup? ) So pre Bayern time- regardless love this guy since the goal in Nashville knocked out the Yanks and bye bye Teal 

Phonz is going all in on the AD19 branding, so we can bet he'll stick to that number for both club and country wherever possible. It's still ridiculous to me that his smiling face isn't plastered across billboards all over the country, yet. There isn't a better candidate to front mass marketing campaigns from any sports people. Are Canadian corporations that dense that they can't see it?

47 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Phonz is going all in on the AD19 branding, so we can bet he'll stick to that number for both club and country wherever possible. It's still ridiculous to me that his smiling face isn't plastered across billboards all over the country, yet. There isn't a better candidate to front mass marketing campaigns from any sports people. Are Canadian corporations that dense that they can't see it?

The CSA would rather put herdman’s face all over the place. 

Agree that everyone needs to get over it at this point.  Whether you liked the conditions under which he was hired or not (and for the record, I did not at the time) he is the guy right now and should be supported.  That doesn’t mean carte blanche - like all managers he should live and die by the results he is able to deliver.  But so far so good in this WCQ process and a victory against Haiti in the home and away should cement everyone’s support.  

Getting to the Ocho is the mark he needs to hit for full credibility given our player pool.  Obviously that can erode if we make it and then grossly underperform against our peers but if we know we are moving one in a week’s time, everyone should stop bitching about Herdman.   

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

How can you say that at this point in time? 

Qatar is a year and a half away. We don't know what form players will be in, who commits to the program, who will be injured etc. 

How I can say that? Simple because Cavallini is our most consistent goal threat up top but also he's been a mainstay in the national team and if we make Qatar, then why wouldn't he be there?

17 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

How I can say that? Simple because Cavallini is our most consistent goal threat up top but also he's been a mainstay in the national team and if we make Qatar, then why wouldn't he be there?

He’ll obviously be there but you said no doubt he makes our starting XI. There most definitely is doubt about that, as you just saw he didn’t start in a do or die game. I’d say if we have our full squad, he’s likely to start less than half the games in the Oct.

21 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

you said no doubt Cavallini is in our starting 11 in Qatar. That makes no sense, you can't make that definitive statement without taking into consideration, form who commits to the program, who will be injured etc. 

What happens iff Cavallini is injured and Larin is lighting up the EPL?

You're definitive statement today just doesn't hold for 1.5 years from now due to the multitude of variables from here to Qatar which you are failing to consider. 

Edited by king1010

5 hours ago, RS said:

I’m going to petition the CSA to put a Herdman billboard right outside your house to trigger you some more.

I love you all guys. Always so serious no humour , always thinking im raging against Mr.Herdman. My true trigger and rage is Peter griffin of CSA but it looks like hes not around thank the maker. Hahaha love the idea Please do it. I would love to see Frodo Herdman every morning with my 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by SpecialK

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Regarding Herdman:

Since he took over we are 16-3

78 gf 15 ga 

These stats are accurate, of course, and yet still totally meaningless. Our scorelines and wins against the minnows don't reflect his capabilities as a coach. 

In the only important games we've played under Herdman, (Haiti, US, US, Suriname) we are 2W-2L, 9GF-7GA.  This is barely ok, nothing amazing. 

What matters is the next 2 games. If he gets us through, I'll stop calling for his head for at least 3 months. 

Edited by BrennanFan

8 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

These stats are accurate, of course, and yet still totally meaningless. Our scorelines and wins against the minnows don't reflect his capabilities as a coach. 

In the only important games we've played under Herdman, (Haiti, US, US, Suriname) we are 2W-2L, 9GF-7GA.  This is barely ok, nothing amazing. 

What matters is the next 2 games. If he gets us through, I'll stop calling for his head for at least 3 months. 

2-2 is the expected result, not “barely ok”. He overperformed against US (winning for the first time in decades) and underperformed against Haiti. The two cancel each other out. Herdman has been good as a coach and has completely transformed this Canada side to a team that actually has the mentality to win and compete against big countries. He’s transformed the mentality of the entire program. People who are calling for his head need their own checked in my opinion. If he fails against Haiti then that’s reason to consider that, but I am fully confident we won’t have a problem. If Godinho doesn’t decide he’s playing for Haiti in that match it wouldn’t even be a discussion. 

I'm less convinced that he's "totally changed the mentality of this men's program" and think he's more the beneficiary of two of the greatest players this country has ever produced. In their biggest game in a while the team looked mentality unprepared at the start and his tactics had the team millimeters away from being down 1-0 to Suriname. 

26 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm less convinced that he's "totally changed the mentality of this men's program" and think he's more the beneficiary of two of the greatest players this country has ever produced. In their biggest game in a while the team looked mentality unprepared at the start and his tactics had the team millimeters away from being down 1-0 to Suriname. 

Canada has had a losing mentality for decades, now that's changing. Yes he has good players, but a blind man can see his man management is excellent and that he has the whole program bought in to a grand vision. We've never had that type of leadership before. And so what? A Bundesliga winger almost scores on us? I imagine we'll have to get used to that feeling. A good team put us under pressure and we responded with four goals. He specifically spoke before the game about how pressure would come and how we would need to respond. How is that anything other than a resounding success from Herdman?

Man, thankless job.

I have never been sold on Herdman. I didn't like the way he was hired, I didn't like his buzz words and motivational Ted talk style, I didn't like the too cute by half approach to tactics. But... he deserves a lot of credit for changing the mentality. The short clip of an interview with him from Soccer Canada after the Suriname game had me convinced that great things are ahead. And I have been cynical about us for decades.  

It is different this time. I think the players believe it.   And I  have come around too.  For the love of god it has to be! 

6 hours ago, frmr said:

2-2 is the expected result, not “barely ok”. He overperformed against US (winning for the first time in decades) and underperformed against Haiti. The two cancel each other out. Herdman has been good as a coach and has completely transformed this Canada side to a team that actually has the mentality to win and compete against big countries. He’s transformed the mentality of the entire program. People who are calling for his head need their own checked in my opinion. If he fails against Haiti then that’s reason to consider that, but I am fully confident we won’t have a problem. If Godinho doesn’t decide he’s playing for Haiti in that match it wouldn’t even be a discussion. 

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Honestly, I see the truth as somewhere in the middle.  The results have been good in some respects and not good in others.  And while he is slowly steering the ship towards success and implementing a winning mentality, that is also much easier to do when we have an attacking duo worth more than any starting 11 we have ever fielded in our history (and who are full value for that money given their current form).  The real test is how we handle adverse conditions and to be honest that has been a mixed bag.  I still think it could have been a disaster if we had gone 1-0 down to Suriname on that crossbar shot  

To be clear, at this point I think Herdman has done enough to earn everyone’s support.  I just don’t think we should be overstating how transformational he has been.  I think the players at his disposal have played a massive role in that transformation.  

8 hours ago, frmr said:

Canada has had a losing mentality for decades, now that's changing. Yes he has good players, but a blind man can see his man management is excellent and that he has the whole program bought in to a grand vision. We've never had that type of leadership before. And so what? A Bundesliga winger almost scores on us? I imagine we'll have to get used to that feeling. A good team put us under pressure and we responded with four goals. He specifically spoke before the game about how pressure would come and how we would need to respond. How is that anything other than a resounding success from Herdman?

Man, thankless job.

For decades, "Unattached FC" was the running joke as the most common club for the MNT players. Now this forum has a thread devoted to the number of champions we have in Europe this past season.  The players almost certainly have an improved mentality now just from their club play.  Against a team that had barely played together and is below Canada in the standings, Canada looked disorganized and sloppy for the first half and nearly conceded a goal. The talent level on Canada is now such that beating these types of teams isn't "a resounding success" - it's the bare minimum.