Jump to content

Lucas Cavallini


section114row20
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

For decades, "Unattached FC" was the running joke as the most common club for the MNT players. Now this forum has a thread devoted to the number of champions we have in Europe this past season.  The players almost certainly have an improved mentality now just from their club play.  Against a team that had barely played together and is below Canada in the standings, Canada looked disorganized and sloppy for the first half and nearly conceded a goal. The talent level on Canada is now such that beating these types of teams isn't "a resounding success" - it's the bare minimum.

We didn’t look great to start, as it clearly took a little bit to settle into the game. Let’s not be overly critical though, it’s not like they were dominating for any length of time and getting clear cut chances from a couple yards out. Becker hit a nice first time shot off the crossbar from outside the box, it is what it is. We dominated possession, had them pinned back consistently, and had the vast majority of scoring chances.

I do agree that with the quality of players we have, we need to be beating the Suriname’s of the world relatively easily, and that’s what we did. I don’t think it showed a master class in coaching by Herdman, but he certainly accomplished the mission so I don’t see why some people are so intent on discrediting him and rebutting anyone that gives him any praise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, archer21 said:

We didn’t look great to start, as it clearly took a little bit to settle into the game. Let’s not be overly critical though, it’s not like they were dominating for any length of time and getting clear cut chances from a couple yards out. Becker hit a nice first time shot off the crossbar from outside the box, it is what it is. We dominated possession, had them pinned back consistently, and had the vast majority of scoring chances.

I do agree that with the quality of players we have, we need to be beating the Suriname’s of the world relatively easily, and that’s what we did. I don’t think it showed a master class in coaching by Herdman, but he certainly accomplished the mission so I don’t see why some people are so intent on discrediting him and rebutting anyone that gives him any praise.

Exactly. It was a scary quarter chance they had... it wasn't even a half chance, just a nice strike. 

We had the first clear cut chance of the game on David's breakaway but people want to act like the Suriname attempt equated to them having control or us being shaky. It's not reality. The game was open early and then around the 20 minute mark onward they couldn't get in our half. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

For decades, "Unattached FC" was the running joke as the most common club for the MNT players. Now this forum has a thread devoted to the number of champions we have in Europe this past season.  The players almost certainly have an improved mentality now just from their club play.  Against a team that had barely played together and is below Canada in the standings, Canada looked disorganized and sloppy for the first half and nearly conceded a goal. The talent level on Canada is now such that beating these types of teams isn't "a resounding success" - it's the bare minimum.

Holy shit, if you guys think that Canada is suddenly too talented to take pressure from teams which have players playing at high levels in Europe, then you're gonna have a bad time. Yes, Canada has some talented players now. So does Suriname. So do lots of Concacaf teams. I feel like some posters here suddenly think that now that we have David and Davies we are supposed to be France or something. We still have a relatively weak backline that good teams are going to be able to test. That's the reality of football. Herdman has instilled a mindset that is focused on responding to those tests and being ruthless in that response, and that's exactly what happened. We are not good enough to be able to dominate good teams for 90+ minutes, that's just not realistic. We were playing a new formation, with a CB who had never been capped, another CB has been a bit of a bomb scare, and another CB who is a right back. And it's considered a near-disaster that a Bundesliga winger was able to get a shot off on target before the game had settled in? Ridiculous.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I do agree that with the quality of players we have, we need to be beating the Suriname’s of the world relatively easily, and that’s what we did. I don’t think it showed a master class in coaching by Herdman, but he certainly accomplished the mission so I don’t see why some people are so intent on discrediting him and rebutting anyone that gives him any praise.

I think this is the point we're all debating. The mission (so far) has been accomplished. How much of that is due to the improvement in the quality of our players (which no one debates) and how much is on the manager, well that's what we're wondering. Hope Herdman and the team get it done against Haiti and at least show well in the Octo.

Edited by Watchmen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

Holy shit, if you guys think that Canada is suddenly too talented to take pressure from teams which have players playing at high levels in Europe, then you're gonna have a bad time. Yes, Canada has some talented players now. So does Suriname. So do lots of Concacaf teams. I feel like some posters here suddenly think that now that we have David and Davies we are supposed to be France or something. We still have a relatively weak backline that good teams are going to be able to test. That's the reality of football. Herdman has instilled a mindset that is focused on responding to those tests and being ruthless in that response, and that's exactly what happened. We are not good enough to be able to dominate good teams for 90+ minutes, that's just not realistic. We were playing a new formation, with a CB who had never been capped, another CB has been a bit of a bomb scare, and another CB who is a right back. And it's considered a near-disaster that a Bundesliga winger was able to get a shot off on target before the game had settled in? Ridiculous.

 

 

Actually he hit the woodwork, so it's not considered on target ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Talk of him transferring to Spain:

Not the first Canadian Rayo has shown interest in this year ;) Great move if it happens.

I seem to recall that when Lucas was at Puebla there was some interest from teams in Spanish 2nd division, like maybe Zaragoza. But nothing went very far on that.

They just squeezed out promotion vs. Girona with an away win. Obviously, their finances are tight, they'd be amongst the lowest budget teams in top flight next year, together with Elche.

True they are short on strikers. Their coach is Iraola, the Basque back who was at NYCity for a season, just five years ago. So him not having a negative view of MLS would be a positive factor. 

They've been doing long renos on the small stadium, but are a team that need it finished to get the gate. Probably one of the teams with the thinnest fan base in Spain, as they are only supported in Vallecas, working-class Madrid. So weak merchandising. They get a lot of press because the Madrid sports dailies, and national radio shows, tend to give them a bit more play.

I've seen them play in Vallecas twice, once in 2nd division and once in third tier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not the first Canadian Rayo has shown interest in this year ;) Great move if it happens.

I seem to recall that when Lucas was at Puebla there was some interest from teams in Spanish 2nd division, like maybe Zaragoza. But nothing went very far on that.

They just squeezed out promotion vs. Girona with an away win. Obviously, their finances are tight, they'd be amongst the lowest budget teams in top flight next year, together with Elche.

True they are short on strikers. Their coach is Iraola, the Basque back who was at NYCity for a season, just five years ago. So him not having a negative view of MLS would be a positive factor. 

They've been doing long renos on the small stadium, but are a team that need it finished to get the gate. Probably one of the teams with the thinnest fan base in Spain, as they are only supported in Vallecas, working-class Madrid. So weak merchandising. They get a lot of press because the Madrid sports dailies, and national radio shows, tend to give them a bit more play.

I've seen them play in Vallecas twice, once in 2nd division and once in third tier. 

Do they tend to play on the counter? Seemed like Puebla played in that way. Several of his goals down in Mexico seemed to be in transition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Do they tend to play on the counter? Seemed like Puebla played in that way. Several of his goals down in Mexico seemed to be in transition. 

The funny thing here is that the Caps haven't been as good off the transitional counter since Yordi Reyna left.  A lot of their open play chances have come off oppostion errors from their upfield pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahahah, simply Whitecaps things. When they’re seemingly close to bringing in the 10 they’ve needed for so long to help Cav, he’s off to Spain, deservedly none the less. 
 

as a CanMNT fan it’s always great to see our guys go to a top 4 Euro league regardless of if it’s with a relegation team. Would be happy to see the move go through. Guess the argument of who’s number one might get a little harder, eh? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

as a CanMNT fan it’s always great to see our guys go to a top 4 Euro league regardless of if it’s with a relegation team. Would be happy to see the move go through. Guess the argument of who’s number one might get a little harder, eh? 

Depends on if Larin gets his move too. But I don’t think there’s an argument, as it seems it’s just preference at this point from the fans, as well as the coaches. 
 

David is the undisputed 9…it’s the versatility of Larin why I think he’s been beating Cav out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Depends on if Larin gets his move too. But I don’t think there’s an argument, as it seems it’s just preference at this point from the fans, as well as the coaches. 
 

David is the undisputed 9…it’s the versatility of Larin why I think he’s been beating Cav out.

Yeah you’re right, David is undisputed #1. I’m always stuck in my ways In thinking David is the perfect 10 or false 9 in this team. If Cav can get a decent scoring record going while playing in La Liga there is definite argument there though for Larin v Cav

Edited by N1ckbr0wn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As things stand the argument between Cavallini and Larin is down to who's number 2, not number 1. 

And yes I agree that battle for the right to play alongside David may get spicy if Cavallini is playing in La Liga and doing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...