Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I had this exact conversation with a friend last week. Cavallini would be a stud in Toronto and Soteldo isn't awful but would be a better fit in Vancouver.

Wow..as a TFC supporter that would be a hard, hard pass from me. I’m not sure why anyone would think that would make sense from TFCs perspective 

4 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Poz is gone. There seems to be a never ending list of excuses why he’s not in the lineup. Bet he gets on the plane back to Europe when the opportunity presents itself.

I think TFC would take Cav on TAM money but they also have Akinola. Not sure they’d want both and Akinola clearly has the upside at this point.

Noticed Poz was on the bench today.

I was sort of half joking about a Cav for Soltedo trade

10 hours ago, Floortom said:

No MLS club will put him on a DP deal. 

Why?

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Wow..as a TFC supporter that would be a hard, hard pass from me. I’m not sure why anyone would think that would make sense from TFCs perspective 

Are you saying most MLS clubs are the equivalents of Kubrick's criticism? That observation is lost on them? Think about that, ponder it for a few hours then reply back to this post. 

10 hours ago, Macksam said:

Are you saying most MLS clubs are the equivalents of Kubrick's criticism? That observation is lost on them? Think about that, ponder it for a few hours then reply back to this post. 

I am pretty confident that if I spend a few hours pondering this post, I still will have no idea what you are saying.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Cavallini for Soteldo would help both sides. Brian White is now the main scorer and Soteldo is somewhat of a luxury piece for Toronto. They need a number 9 and you could do worse than Cavallini if you're Toronto. 

He's on a DP deal.  They're not going to use one of those spots on him.  I like Cav but he's not worth a DP spot.  

4 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

He's on a DP deal.  They're not going to use one of those spots on him.  I like Cav but he's not worth a DP spot.  

Yeah, not currently at Vancouver. Soteldo is not worth a DP spot either. Swap the two and you may get the best out of both of them. 

Edited by Obinna

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, not currently at Vancouver. Soteldo is not worth a DP spot either. Swap the two and you may get the best out of both of them. 

Soteldo hasn't been DP quality, but he's top 5 in assists even though he missed the first 6 games of the season. He also has 3 goals. For a 24 year old in his first season that's pretty good.

Cavalini has been usurped by Brian White and no Whitecaps fans want him back next year. I don't think the market for him will be that hot

Edited by Floortom

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Soteldo hasn't been DP quality, but he's top 5 in assists even though he missed the first 6 games of the season. He also has 3 goals. For a 24 year old in his first season that's pretty good.

Cavalini has been usurped by Brian White and no Whitecaps fans want him back next year. I don't think the market for him will be that hot

Watching Soteldo it's clear why he came to MLS rather than heading to Europe. He's talented as hell but not an effective player. "Busy" was one way I heard him described and I think it's perfect.

31 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Watching Soteldo it's clear why he came to MLS rather than heading to Europe. He's talented as hell but not an effective player. "Busy" was one way I heard him described and I think it's perfect.

Again - I don’t think he has been quite DP quality but he’s definitely someone you have to account for. 

he’s 99th percentile in progressive carries and dribbles so sure you can say he’s “busy”.

but it’s not like he brings no end product along with that - 83% in shot creating actions, 66% in xG + xA.

Edited by Floortom

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Cavallini for Soteldo would help both sides. Brian White is now the main scorer and Soteldo is somewhat of a luxury piece for Toronto. They need a number 9 and you could do worse than Cavallini if you're Toronto. 

Cavalinni is not good. When Brian White takes your job you probably have little to no value. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Cavalinni is not good. When Brian White takes your job you probably have little to no value. 

This is what I am afraid of, because sometimes Cavallini has looked "past it" this season. He's looked worse with Vancouver than Canada though, so that's something to hold on to. 

Ideally Toronto would keep Soteldo and bring in a striker who can get on the end of his play, because the guy is obviously talented. At the same time I wouldn't blame Toronto if they go in another direction, because regardless of the players around him hasn't been very good.

The same applies to Vancouver as well when it comes to Cav. Wouldn't blame them if they move in a different direction.

The frustrating thing is that you just knew he would struggle in Vancouver. It never did feel like a good fit if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I want to see him with when the roster is settled, it has been so uneven all season. He is all over the place and drops your jaw at times, but it does not always have a fruitful conclusion. 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

... hard pass.

Edited by LeoH037

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is what I am afraid of, because sometimes Cavallini has looked "past it" this season. He's looked worse with Vancouver than Canada though, so that's something to hold on to. 

Ideally Toronto would keep Soteldo and bring in a striker who can get on the end of his play, because the guy is obviously talented. At the same time I wouldn't blame Toronto if they go in another direction, because regardless of the players around him hasn't been very good.

The same applies to Vancouver as well when it comes to Cav. Wouldn't blame them if they move in a different direction.

The frustrating thing is that you just knew he would struggle in Vancouver. It never did feel like a good fit if you ask me. 

Rather have Akinola get those minutes next season over someone like Cavallini tbh

Edited by LeoH037

Cavallini coming to Vancouver was always a bad move for both sides (except the financial end for Cava). He wasn't a fit for what the Whitecaps needed as either a striker or a DP and the predictions on this board of 15 goals or more were always ludicrous. But, that doesn't mean he's bad. He's been good in the right system. That's just not (and never was) the Whitecaps style. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see Cav get the start tonight.  Despite questions about his club form, he always puts in a hard shift for Canada when he is on the field - and we need the depth up front.  With Larin now back from injury hopefully our November window has more quality attacking options.  

EDIT:  mind you, Phonzie did pretty good up there against Panama. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nice to see Cav get the start tonight.  Despite questions about his club form, he always puts in a hard shift for Canada when he is on the field - and we need the depth up front.  With Larin now back from injury hopefully our November window has more quality attacking options.  

EDIT:  mind you, Phonzie did pretty good up there against Panama. 

Eep. He gets subbed off, Brian White comes on and scores and helps the comeback win. 

I don’t know why Cavalllini just doesn’t watch and copy White’s style of play. He’s trying to do way too much and getting away from his strengths. He’s dropping too deep, trying to beat defenders with the dribble….he’s not even good at this things. White plays a simple game off of Gauld and just makes the right runs.