Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's a screen that worked. Cav was asked to explain it in the press conference and refused to. But said they'd practiced it. 

Regardless, putting your best header at the far post is not usual, nor is getting the long ball to him, nor giving him the space to strike. 

I think it was Nerwinski who pinned Cava’s marker against the post as he peeled away

• 4 weeks later...

I love how Cavallini plays. His stature, his brolic-ness, his willingness to put his body on the line, and his ability to get on the end of things to score. 

But he lacks pace, he lacks mobility/agility, he lacks 1v1 abilities, he lacks the ability to create something out of nothing. Hes been struggling as being the loan striker as well. Reason why I think he’s the perfect super sub atm if we are chasing a game or closing out a game.

Edited by Shway

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I love how Cavallini plays. His stature, his brolic-ness, his willingness to put his body on the line, and his ability to get on the end of things to score. 

But he lacks pace, he lacks mobility/agility, he lacks 1v1 abilities, he lacks the ability to create something out of nothing. Hes been struggling as being the loan striker as well. Reason why I think he’s the perfect super sub atm if we are chasing a game or closing out a game.

I think he kind of is what he is. If we were expecting him to be dribbling through everyone and scoring incredible goals, I think expectations were a bit off. He’s going to do the things that you said he’ll do, which I think is fine for CMNT. He’ll get better service with us than he’s getting in Vancouver. It makes me wonder how he was so successful with Puebla though, as I’d expect he probably wasn’t getting great service there either (weren’t they one of the bottom teams in Liga MX?)

9 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I think he kind of is what he is. If we were expecting him to be dribbling through everyone and scoring incredible goals, I think expectations were a bit off. He’s going to do the things that you said he’ll do, which I think is fine for CMNT. He’ll get better service with us than he’s getting in Vancouver. It makes me wonder how he was so successful with Puebla though, as I’d expect he probably wasn’t getting great service there either (weren’t they one of the bottom teams in Liga MX?)

He seemed to be a little more dynamic at Puebla and it seemed like they played on the counter, because several of his goals were break aways against the keeper. I don't think he's scored any goals like that for Vancouver yet.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

He seemed to be a little more dynamic at Puebla and it seemed like they played on the counter, because several of his goals were break aways against the keeper. I don't think he's scored any goals like that for Vancouver yet.

This...I’ve said before he looks heavier (fully embracing the tank moniker), which plays into his mobility/agility. 

@archer21not only do I expect him to score goals out of nothing, but his club do as well. At Puebla he was like a chicarito type scorer. Just being in the right places, and finishing those opportunities. 

Regardless we still see him score with Canada, and against the big teams. He might be the only player to score against Mexico and USA.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

This...I’ve said before he looks heavier (fully embracing the tank moniker), which plays into his mobility/agility. 

@archer21not only do I expect him to score goals out of nothing, but his club do as well. At Puebla he was like a chicarito type scorer. Just being in the right places, and finishing those opportunities. 

Regardless we still see him score with Canada, and against the big teams. He might be the only player to score against Mexico and USA.

In competitive games he is but John Catliff also did it (3 against Mexico and 1 against the US).

Cavallini is a huge part of our MNT simply because we don't have a presence that compares to him up top. He is without a doubt the best header of the ball we've ever had IMO and for a big man he can score in some pretty agile ways. 

15 hours ago, Shway said:

He is a warrior and I think he should start, but he just needs another advanced central player to play off of. 

15 hours ago, Shway said:

He leads MLS in successful dribbles. 

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He leads MLS in successful dribbles. 

Yesterday, at one point he was through on goal and had a few steps on both opposing centre backs.  I thought for sure he'd score.  Somehow they caught him and dispossessed him.  Disappointing. 

Pace is not his strength, by my god can he hold the ball up well, he can shrug off challenges like its nothing, and he knows how to drop into the middle, make a good wide pass, and then sneak into the box with a late run.  Incredibly useful player and as has been said, a unique talent in our pool. 

30 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Yesterday, at one point he was through on goal and had a few steps on both opposing centre backs.  I thought for sure he'd score.  Somehow they caught him and dispossessed him.  Disappointing. 

Pace is not his strength, by my god can he hold the ball up well, he can shrug off challenges like its nothing, and he knows how to drop into the middle, make a good wide pass, and then sneak into the box with a late run.  Incredibly useful player and as has been said, a unique talent in our pool. 

One of my favorite plays by Cavallini was in the 2019 Gold Cup against Mexico. There was a pass made into space out wide that he got onto, and he took the ball from the middle third all the way into the box, holding off Mexican center back Moreno the entire way, then in stride while holding him off he laced a shot on frame that Ochoa stopped, but the rebound came back to him, which he one-time volleyed towards goal, but a defender blocked it.

What I loved about that play was how Cavallini was clearly a slower player than Moreno, but you could just tell he was stretching every sinew in his body to match him stride for stride, all while using his strength to hold him off, and he still got the shot off and on target.

Cav was a beast that game.

Edited by Obinna

Random afternoon thought.  De Rosario has 22 goals for country, with 7 penalties, therefore 15 net.  I think cava only has one from the spot, therefore two away from the Canada record at 13 net.  I think this would also make Ricketts the Canada leader of non-penalty goals (I can’t remember him taking any).  Potentially spoken about before and apologies for the randomness but thought it was interesting!

On 5/13/2021 at 4:07 PM, trc2014 said:

Random afternoon thought.  De Rosario has 22 goals for country, with 7 penalties, therefore 15 net.  I think cava only has one from the spot, therefore two away from the Canada record at 13 net.  I think this would also make Ricketts the Canada leader of non-penalty goals (I can’t remember him taking any).  Potentially spoken about before and apologies for the randomness but thought it was interesting!

Do you know how many PKs Catliff or Mitchell scored? They could potentially be ahead of DeRo. I have no idea how many PKs they have scored. I started trying to look it up, but the first couple games that Catliff scored in don't even have the time of the goals, so I'm not willing to accept the lack of a "PK" next to his goal as an indication that it wasn't a PK goal. So I've given up.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Do you know how many PKs Catliff or Mitchell scored? They could potentially be ahead of DeRo. I have no idea how many PKs they have scored. I started trying to look it up, but the first couple games that Catliff scored in don't even have the time of the goals, so I'm not willing to accept the lack of a "PK" next to his goal as an indication that it wasn't a PK goal. So I've given up.

Dero has 7

Catliff - 2

Mitchell -2

Corazzin - 2

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

Since when did PKs become guaranteed goals?

They’re not guaranteed, but they are pretty high percentage (roughly 75% according to what I just looked up).  That obviously makes a pretty big difference depending on whether or not you tend to be “the guy” on your team.  

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They’re not guaranteed, but they are pretty high percentage (roughly 75% according to what I just looked up).  That obviously makes a pretty big difference depending on whether or not you tend to be “the guy” on your team.  

75% now (recent stat)? Before goalies were watched heavily for having a foot on the line?

How many did he miss? Completion ratio is better to digest imo. 

Edited by Shway

8 hours ago, Shway said:

75% now (recent stat)? Before goalies were watched heavily for having a foot on the line?

How many did he miss? Completion ratio is better to digest imo. 

The 75% was presented as a general stat, not specific to Cav.  So 75% of Pks are converted.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The 75% was presented as a general stat, not specific to Cav.  So 75% of Pks are converted.  

I should’ve been more clear, I meant is that a stat of 2020(or recent)? Or from later....I think it’s a lot harder for keepers now, oppose to back then.

I think it’s a lot harder for keepers now, with the foot on the line rule that didn’t exist before.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I should’ve been more clear, I meant is that a stat of 2020(or recent)? Or from later....I think it’s a lot harder for keepers now, oppose to back then.

I think it’s a lot harder for keepers now, with the foot on the line rule that didn’t exist before.

I've always heard around 70% or 75%, before 2020.

Was quite poor today - I'm not particularly invested in the Whitecaps but if I was i would have to think we could do much better for a DP striker than Cav. He's so limited in what he brings to the table. I think they'll continue to struggle in open play as long as he's the lone striker.

43 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Was quite poor today - I'm not particularly invested in the Whitecaps but if I was i would have to think we could do much better for a DP striker than Cav. He's so limited in what he brings to the table. I think they'll continue to struggle in open play as long as he's the lone striker.

That's not true at all. Besides his pace, he has every other tool in the bag. 

Edited by Macksam