Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

I'm sure many of us remember how Vanney continued to go with his vets at TFC, trying to replicate the success he had with them when it was clear they were past their prime. I used to be a big fan of Cav for the same reasons as CanadaFan123 mentioned, but watching him at the GC he's lost pace and can't press like he used to. There are a few players that we need to start replacing in the squad and the sooner the better. This is not 2015. We have options.

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Regardless of form, Cavallini offers a different profile and big game experience. For a one off game he would 100% be my 3rd choice striker.

For those games when you need a striker to come on against tired legs and get a yellow.

40 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

David and Larin are locks, Bair (11G 4A) and Ugbo (10G 1A) are younger and in better form. I don't see Cav being part of our future.

I don’t think that is in question.  The real question is whether or not he is part of the “now”.  I really don’t know how this one lands.  Cav, Bair, Ugbo - you can argue for any one of them.  I don’t think JRR will have time to stake a solid claim in the short term (though we will see what happens between now and summer if we make Copa) but this is probably the biggest question for me in terms of squad selection.     

My main concern is that Larin has not been scoring recently. He may be playing at the highest level of all our strikers and will start with David, but if we need a goal you need to sub on a striker that is in form and full of confidence. That's Bair or Ugbo hands down. It's not even close. If we are up and need to preserve the win we can bring on another midfielder or defender for Larin.  

• 3 weeks later...