Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Although he has been linked with them the latest is that he will make a move to Fenix:

http://www.tenfield.com.uy/2014/01/clubes-lucas-cavallini-se-intregra-el-lunes-a-fenix/#.UtM-vfRDsrU

Yes according to the article this is a done deal. Fenix actually seems to be a better fit for him than El Tanque Sisley. El Tanque Sisley already have a couple of good strikers. Fenix's highest scorer is a midfielder and don't really have a dominant striker.

So what happened to the speculation he was headed for Spain? Was this ever speculated or am I imagining this?

I have read it in the Uruguayan press, but forget where.

They never mentioned a single club interested in him though.

He played the last half hour of a friendly vs. At Madrid on August 4 with Nacional, in the Copa Euroamericana, I wonder if that got him a few bites, being young and all.

• 8 months later...

So what's the deal with Cavallini?  Will he ever play for CMNT again?

Well he's cap-tied so if he plays well he will play for the CMNT again. It's just difficult to fly him from Uruguay for friendlies.

EDIT:

My source seems to be pretty reliable, and I can't say from whom, but it seems Cavallini isn't interested in playing for Canada....

Ok, now that I read this I understand your previous comment. I think that it makes sense for him to focus on doing well at the club level.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

So what's the deal with Cavallini? Will he ever play for CMNT again? I heard that he might not. Want to know if anyone close to him or in the know has some answers. He's doing well in Uruguay and I would hate to see another talented player, a striker albeit, be lost to our Canadian team. He could be so special..

During the time he didn't play for the MNT, I remember that

1. His loan with Juventud ended and he was trying to establish himself with Nacional squad.

2. The MNT played was playing some meaningless friendlies. The friendlies were meaningless not because there were friendlies, because Collin Miller was the interim coach and he was so bad that there's nothing positive I can personally recall from his era. To me, that means his era was a complete waste of time. We weren't building nothing.

I also remember wishing he didn't accept a call-up to the Gold Cup because his club situation was more important back then and I believe there was little or nothing to gain, for Cavallini as player, under Collin Miller orders as the MNT coach.

Now his club situation is more balanced and the MNT is going somewhere with Floro. I'm fully confident we will see him, sooner or later, for our NMT.

Edited by canucklefan

Very sad.  From all points of view.

Floro and the CMNT could help him achieve his goals.  Look at the Canadians who have signed in Spain already since Floro took charge.. also I'm sure big South American clubs will be watching Canada v Colombia if that's his goal. 

Look at the Canadians who have signed in Spain already since Floro took charge..

I think that the number of Canadians in Spain is more because of the agent. Piette has said that he went to Spain because his agent told him about it, not Floro. That agency (act SPoRTS GROUP) also has Ben Fisk in their client list, who is now in Spain. Ricky Gomes is the anomaly though, because he isn't part of that agency. He could have gone thanks to Floro, but who knows?

Edited by Blackdude

I can understand the logic of Hoillet who is trying to establish himself in the EPL deciding to concentrate on his club career and not play internationally even if I don't agree with it. However, assuming it is true he does not want to play for us, why would a guy who is no longer all that young in football terms and playing on a mid-table team in the Uruguayan league not be jumping at every opportunity to play internationally and get exposure to larger clubs? Even if he has no patriotic feeling it seems like playing for the national team would only be positive for his career both in terms of exposure and training with and against better players than he is in Uruguay.

lets wait and see what happens with this roster for columbia and even more so the game in panama. perhaps the proximity will have him show up.

even then we could still see him come for june wcq or gold cup. lets not get too worked up over friendlies. he's captied so its us or nobody. eventually hes gunna wanna play some national team football. why not wcq, gold cup, or copa america (since he loves south america so much)

I think folks are jumping to conclusions here on Cavallini. We're basing this information on a new user quoting an unnamed source saying he doesn't want to play. Let's see what happens during the "games that really mater", as another unnamed source is saying he will show up for. If he isn't there for the Gold Cup, then we forget about him.

I think that people have a right to jump to conclusions on Cavallini, based solely on the fact that he hasn't made himself available for national duty in over a year  (especially in a year where we have a new coach, introducing a new system). That amounts to saying that his time is more important than others (who committed to friendlies and the Gold Cup), which I don't respect. I also suspect that his professional opportunites came as a result of being scouted with our U-20's. To "use" our youth program, to gain opportunities, then tell us to go away until it's convenient for him, is classless in my mind.

I think that people have a right to jump to conclusions on Cavallini, based solely on the fact that he hasn't made himself available for national duty in over a year  (especially in a year where we have a new coach, introducing a new system). That amounts to saying that his time is more important than others (who committed to friendlies and the Gold Cup), which I don't respect. I also suspect that his professional opportunites came as a result of being scouted with our U-20's. To "use" our youth program, to gain opportunities, then tell us to go away until it's convenient for him, is classless in my mind.

ya its classless. but we don't have the abundance of talent on our player pool especially in our striker pool to say to say to a "classless" player who wants to play wcq "we aren't calling you up for WCQ because you didn't play friendlies for us last year"

Cavallini got his opportunity with Nacional as a result of the relationship his youth club, Clarkson-Sheridan, had/has with Nacional. Clarkson hosted a 4 team tourny and Nacional was one of the clubs invited. Cavallini and 3 others including Jonathan Osorio, Tristan Grant and some guy with a long greek name ended up playing for Nacional youth teams when they turned 18.

Are we even sure that Benito Floro has even invited him to any national team camps? He might not be rated well by Floro. I definitely would not put him in the same skill level as Hoilett.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4173/canadian-national-team/2014/08/28/5066777/floro-calls-in-experienced-canadian-side-to-face-jamaica

If you trust Rudi's sources, yes. But then again, he mentions that "All of Johnson, Osorio, Cavallini, and Akindele are expected by Floro to attend a future Canadian camp, possibly as early as November."

Keeping this with Lucas, he would have missed a match with Fénix had he gone to camp in September, a match where he scored two goals. Fénix plays this Sunday and doesn't have a match until the 17th. I'm sure that the reasoning behind Cavallini declining was that he expected to be availalble in October/November because he wouldn't miss games at his club, and I remember reading at that time that he was fighting to keep his spot in the starting XI. It made sense for him to not go.

I think folks are jumping to conclusions here on Cavallini. We're basing this information on a new user quoting an unnamed source saying he doesn't want to play. Let's see what happens during the "games that really mater", as another unnamed source is saying he will show up for.

Even though my source is somewhat close to Cavallini, even I'm skeptical about what "she" told me regarding his desire to play for Canada.  So yes, take Shermanator's advise on this:  Let's see what happens during games that really matter.

I raised the question since between what I heard and having not seen him with Les Rouges for some time, I was curious to know if anyone else could state more about him.  Personally, I can't imagine he'd never suit up for us again, and I agree with most that he'll likely be called up for more important matches and/or tournaments (ie. Gold Cup, WCQ, etc).