Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

23 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Exactly this. Larin had chances that he failed to convert. Sure, a lot of time has passed, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a significant gap in national team performance. 

there is one "sitter" he failed to convert... as a 19 year old kid, just a few weeks into his pro career after having a few full games under Orlando, and everyone on here putting the expectations of the entire soccer program on said kid. But lets define his entire nat career on it

I don't think judging a player by national appearances is very helpful. In Larin's case, it spans to the dark ages and he hasn't had a real chance with this group. I don't care how bad he was in a few appearances with teammates who just happen to wear the same kit as this much improved team does now. 

I still like Cavallini starting, but it's close. Good arguments for both. 

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Larin has seemingly worked hard, had a great loan in Belgium, and is now close to being a regular at Besiktas it seems. That kind of work/improvement should definitely garner him more Canada looks. 

Also, remember Besiktas >> Whitecaps.....

No doubt that Larin's game is more complete now post Belgium. He is more involved in the build up play, sets up goal scoring opportunities. His hold up play and compete level have improved. He also looks stronger and fit...dropped a few pounds from his MLS days

Stylewise, I actually like Larin over Cav. And I think Larin's upside is greater but that doesn't mean anything if he doesn't deliver it on the pitch.

But another thing Cav brings that has rarely been seen on Canadian national teams is intensity. Often, on paper, we are more talented than most Concacaf teams ex Mexico/USA. But we regularly lose to them because their players play the qualifers as if it is life or death. As Herdman said last week, when he asked the players why Canada often gets beaten, the response is they wanted it more. Playing meekly is a more apt description of Canadian football style.

And Honduras/Guatemalas of the world are just an example of one level of intensity. Mexico is one notch higher. And I would say 7/8 of the 10 Conmebol teams play with the most fervour in the world.

Edited by red card

Larin was Phonzie and David before they were around and as @PiedPilko says the dark ages even prior to other players committing. 

There was an enormous amount or pressure, hope and expectation on his shoulders and I think things would have been drastically different for him had he emerged just a year or two later. 

We all know he didnt cope in Orlando and hopefully now he has grown and learnt from those experiences and his euripean adventure. You can't rule him out just because of his prior performance. Ricketts went the through a similar spell of blasting sitters over the bar. Likewise beggars cant be choosers. 

I would say to be devil's advocate some players just cant translate club form to the international level. I think the jury is still out for Larin at the international level and if he is getting games and scoring goals at the level he is, I look forward to finding out.

17 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

there is one "sitter" he failed to convert... as a 19 year old kid, just a few weeks into his pro career after having a few full games under Orlando, and everyone on here putting the expectations of the entire soccer program on said kid. But lets define his entire nat career on it

If you think it's only one "sitter " he failed to convert, I  suggest you re-watch all his nat. team games.  I like how you say he only missed one "sitter" and then you try and give excuses that he is only 19 and "everyone on here" putting all the pressure on him.

17 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

He hasn't missed sitter under JH because he's barely played under JH.. see what I mean?

Look, I'd be the happiest guy here if he comes back and scores 3 goals every game, I wish him well.  So are you saying if he DID play under JH, then he would miss them(sitters)? See what I mean? I suggest we just wait till he plays for us and then we'll see who's right.

Edited by MtlMario

7 hours ago, MtlMario said:

If you think it's only one "sitter " he failed to convert, I  suggest you re-watch all his nat. team games.  I like how you say he only missed one "sitter" and then you try and give excuses that he is only 19 and "everyone on here" putting all the pressure on him.

okay?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is Cavallini left footed? Seriously, that is a ridiculous finish on his weak foot. 

But actually though, what is his dominant foot. When he first came on the scene I thought he was left footed, but over time it seemed like his right was. Now this has me questioning myself once again. 

He’s a lefty. His miss vs Bermuda off the bar was down to him trying to take it on his left instead of his right.

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned anywhere but his hat trick against Cayman Islands. That must be in around a record for international play. At least for cmnt. Fastest hat trick im referring to

Challenge accepted.

Hat tricks for Canada:
John Catliff vs Jamaica, 1988: 19 minutes (33' to 52')
Alex Bunbury vs Bermuda, 1992: 29 minutes (7' to 36')
Simeon Jackson vs St. Lucia, 2011: 21 minutes (18' to 39')
Lucas Cavallini vs Cuba, 2019: 24 minutes (21' to 45')
Jonathan David vs Cuba, 2019: 74 minutes (3' to 77') (same game as Cavallini above)
Junior Hoilet vs Cuba, 2019: 69 minutes (13' to 82') (different game from the above Cuba games)
Cyle Larin vs Bermuda, 2021: 49 minutes (19' to 68')
Lucas Cavallini vs Cayman Islands, 2021: 8 minutes (68' to 76')

So yes, fastest hat trick for the Canadian men's national team.

As for world wide, no, not a record. I assumed there would be a faster one in Australia's record 31-0 win over American Samoa. Archie Thompson scored 3 of his 13 goals from the 27th minute to the 32nd minute, so 5 minutes. His first 3 goals that game were from the 12th to the 27th, which is 15 minutes and actually slower than Cavallini's gap between first and third.

So then I googled it and found that the international record for fastest hat trick is Masashi Nakayama for Japan vs Brunei in 2000. He scored his hat trick in 3 minutes and 15 seconds. This appears to be from the start of the game. The article says he scored at 1 minute, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-hat-trick-in-an-international-football-(soccer)-match