Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Getting ahead of myself here, but wouldn't you just love seeing Cavallini playing in La Liga for a few seasons before returning to MLS with Toronto? Always felt to me like he settled for Vancouver since Jozy was blocking the path for a homecoming.

Funny how things play out with Altidore now on the outs with Toronto.

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not the first Canadian Rayo has shown interest in this year ;) Great move if it happens.

I seem to recall that when Lucas was at Puebla there was some interest from teams in Spanish 2nd division, like maybe Zaragoza. But nothing went very far on that.

They just squeezed out promotion vs. Girona with an away win. Obviously, their finances are tight, they'd be amongst the lowest budget teams in top flight next year, together with Elche.

True they are short on strikers. Their coach is Iraola, the Basque back who was at NYCity for a season, just five years ago. So him not having a negative view of MLS would be a positive factor. 

They've been doing long renos on the small stadium, but are a team that need it finished to get the gate. Probably one of the teams with the thinnest fan base in Spain, as they are only supported in Vallecas, working-class Madrid. So weak merchandising. They get a lot of press because the Madrid sports dailies, and national radio shows, tend to give them a bit more play.

I've seen them play in Vallecas twice, once in 2nd division and once in third tier. 

Sorry who was the first Canadian?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Do they tend to play on the counter? Seemed like Puebla played in that way. Several of his goals down in Mexico seemed to be in transition. 

Not really on the counter, but no team in 2nd tier plays like that really. They all try to play some degree of possession with touches of creative football and there are few exceptions. A team I follow that relegated, Sabadell, played tough and sought possession and tried to make chances happen any way they could.

Second division is like lower tier in the other top nations, more physical, not quite as technical, more chaotic, not as nice to watch.

In top flight it will be different, of course, because they will absolutely have to counter against the top half or third of the table, they'll have to bunker and counter vs the CL and Europa League teams. Their goal would be to score and hold on for dear life. Lucas' hold-up skills will be useful. Then vs. the bottom half it'll be fairly even. I mean, even Huesca who relegated had amazing strikers and attacking mids, you could sign any of those guys, like the veteran David Ferreiro, for MLS and they'd be top notch.

He may have to show more mobility and work hard to keep possession even alone in attack, or win a corner or throw-in. Pretty classic target striker stuff. I also would think he'd have to lose a kilo or two and be a bit leaner. 

Obviously it'd be amazing for the Canadian programme. I hope he does well in the GC going forward, really well, to convince them. What kind of transfer are they talking about? I doubt they have more than 3-4 million euros to pay.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not really on the counter, but no team in 2nd tier plays like that really. They all try to play some degree of possession with touches of creative football and there are few exceptions. A team I follow that relegated, Sabadell, played tough and sought possession and tried to make chances happen any way they could.

Second division is like lower tier in the other top nations, more physical, not quite as technical, more chaotic, not as nice to watch.

In top flight it will be different, of course, because they will absolutely have to counter against the top half or third of the table, they'll have to bunker and counter vs the CL and Europa League teams. Their goal would be to score and hold on for dear life. Lucas' hold-up skills will be useful. Then vs. the bottom half it'll be fairly even. I mean, even Huesca who relegated had amazing strikers and attacking mids, you could sign any of those guys, like the veteran David Ferreiro, for MLS and they'd be top notch.

He may have to show more mobility and work hard to keep possession even alone in attack, or win a corner or throw-in. Pretty classic target striker stuff. I also would think he'd have to lose a kilo or two and be a bit leaner. 

Obviously it'd be amazing for the Canadian programme. I hope he does well in the GC going forward, really well, to convince them. What kind of transfer are they talking about? I doubt they have more than 3-4 million euros to pay.

Thanks for your insights into Spanish football. Always appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Floortom said:

I’m an outlier (on this board) but Cavallini has been terribly unimpressive this year.  I don’t think it’s much of a drop off at all to Tesho for example.

You think Cav wouldn’t have been better than Tesho in the Mexico game? 

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

You think Cav wouldn’t have been better than Tesho in the Mexico game? 

Not really - it’s painful to watch him with the ball. As a pure target man in the box from set pieces he’s the better option but he’s been awful otherwise this year. Constant stupid fouls too. Whitecaps fans are generally fed up with him too as a DP.

Personally the drop off doesn’t concern me that much although it’s not ideal. Neither would start the must win home matches anyway. 

Edited by Floortom

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’m an outlier (on this board) but Cavallini has been terribly unimpressive this year.  I don’t think it’s much of a drop off at all to Tesho for example (although recognizing that they offer different things ).

I think Vancouver has been a joke and has not helped him. How was he capable to score goals almost effortlessly at Puebla at a higher level and he seems to struggle here?

They don't play the same system.

His injury is unfortunate as he was close to a move to La Liga according to reports.

Cavallini is the kind of guy you have to use in the right system with the right guys IMO

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Not really - it’s painful to watch him with the ball. As a pure target man in the box from set pieces he’s the better option but he’s been awful otherwise this year. Constant stupid fouls too. Whitecaps fans are generally fed up with him too as a DP.

Personally the drop off doesn’t concern me that much although it’s not ideal. Neither would start the must win home matches anyway. 

Cavallini was scoring regularly against Liga MX defenders, I think that game would have been perfect for him

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

We could have used his hold up play.  From memory I remember Tesho laying off for the one nice pass to Eustaqiuo, but turning over the ball a number of times. 

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think Vancouver has been a joke and has not helped him. How was he capable to score goals almost effortlessly at Puebla at a higher level and he seems to struggle here?

Effortlessly?

he scored 28 goals in 81 matches with Puebla. He has scored 9 goals in 30 matches with a Vancouver. Not a huge difference.