Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

5 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

We could have used his hold up play.  From memory I remember Tesho laying off for the one nice pass to Eustaqiuo, but turning over the ball a number of times. 

Yah but Cavallinis hold up play has sucked. The ball gets glued to his feet and goes nowhere and he loses it

is anyone here watching Caps games regularly? Yes they have been bad and the midfield has struggled but cavallini has not been good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Effortlessly?

he scored 28 goals in 81 matches with Puebla. He has scored 9 goals in 30 matches with a Vancouver. Not a huge difference.

The quality of the leagues are different and 28G, 8A in 81 means he was producing not far from half of the time in a harder and faster league

Edited by Ansem

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Yah but Cavallinis hold up play has sucked. The ball gets glued to his feet and goes nowhere and he loses it

is anyone here watching Caps games regularly? Yes they have been bad and the midfield has struggled but cavallini has not been good enough. 

I'll be blunt:  unless he was already dealing with that knee problem very early in the LAG game, he was poor in keeping possession and his giveaway pass led to the LA goal, but mixed in was also a challenge off a corner that led to a chance for Nerwinski plus that bicycle kick.  However, more down than up in his 45 minutes.

I like his work ethic and particularly his hold up play with drawing fouls in the process, something the Caps won't get from White and Ricketts (though in Cavallini's last outings he seemed to be getting fewer calls going his way).  Tough break for the Caps with playmaker Gauld now on board but with the NT it should be "next man up" and an opportunity for others to emerge:  others herebmay disagree but I would love to see Buchanon used in more of a central foward role like former winger-turned-great striker Thierry Henry (they have similar swagger to me).

18 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'll be blunt:  unless he was already dealing with that knee problem very early in the LAG game, he was poor in keeping possession and his giveaway pass led to the LA goal, but mixed in was also a challenge off a corner that led to a chance for Nerwinski plus that bicycle kick.  However, more down than up in his 45 minutes.

I like his work ethic and particularly his hold up play with drawing fouls in the process, something the Caps won't get from White and Ricketts (though in Cavallini's last outings he seemed to be getting fewer calls going his way).  Tough break for the Caps with playmaker Gauld now on board but with the NT it should be "next man up" and an opportunity for others to emerge:  others herebmay disagree but I would love to see Buchanon used in more of a central foward role like former winger-turned-great striker Thierry Henry (they have similar swagger to me).

I'm with you on trying Buchanan at CF. With Davies coming back in and Laryea coming off a solid GC it's another option to get all of them on the pitch. Another option would be to pair Davies and David up top with Buchanan and Laryea at the WB positions. 

• 1 month later...

As I was posting in the Chapman thread I thought of which NT places might be worth watching in terms of competition.   This may be an important stretch of games for Cavallini as we move towards the next WCQ window featuring two road matches.  However, even if he is still out of sorts at club level, the coaching staff might chose to stick with him for his particular skillset.  Hopefully he can get on the same page as the talismanic Scot and make some magic. 

For the NT, I find Cav is a bit of an enigma.  He can absolutely put the ball in the back of the net but doesn’t seem to have the same sort of strike rate as the others.   Yet despite that, he still seems to play an important role of troubling their CB’s, is a threat on the air, and can hold the ball up better than most.  Given that we have other strikers and mids who can contribute goals, I think he still brings a lot of value to the team.  

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For the NT, I find Cav is a bit of an enigma.  He can absolutely put the ball in the back of the net but doesn’t seem to have the same sort of strike rate as the others.   Yet despite that, he still seems to play an important role of troubling their CB’s, is a threat on the air, and can hold the ball up better than most.  Given that we have other strikers and mids who can contribute goals, I think he still brings a lot of value to the team.  

I think that the coaching staff will likely  be of the same mind until another player with a similar skillset emerges.  I don't see it right now (it's not Akindele).

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Cavallini is locked into the squad. His strike rate for us is incredible and we don’t have another striker with his profile. His form for Vancouver is irrelevant at this point (although it would be nice for him to be in form). 

Depends on what "in form" means.  For me, it's effective hold up play, drawing fouls, keeping possession, pressing/pressuring the opponents' possession, all leading to other teammates scoring for us even if he doesn't score himself.  The coaching staff is probably looking for that from him in a situational role. 

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

He’s been poor for the Whitecaps. They’re actually better off with Brian White…Can only assume Vancouver moves on from him after this season unless he really turns things around in the next month

Vancouver hasn't really suited him either... I'd be fine with him moving so long as he landed somewhere equivalent in level at least.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Speculation that he picked up a knock; hopefully he isn't seriously injured.

He grabbed his knee a bit and was on the ground ...but then continued on for 25 minutes and didnt really seem to be impacted. I think the fact that he was subbed off at half was more tactical than anything.

edit: confirmed by Vancouver that he reinjured his knee

Edited by Floortom

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Post-game presser the interim coach made it sound like it might not be so bad, which makes sense given that he played another 25 minutes after he went down. There was a suggestion he was taken off for fresh legs & as a precautionary measure

I believe it is the same knee injury he was about for the past month with.

Just now, king1010 said:

not great. Does Shaffelburg or Ennin get emergency call ups if we're missing both Larin and Cavallini. 

Shaffelburg is playing well but he isn’t going to lead the line.  The bulk of his play is very much that of a traditional winger - drive to the corner and whip in dangerous balls - and we aren’t really thin on the wings.  

I don’t know enough about Ennin to say where he stands re a call up, but I expect we could see Tesho get called in just for some solid experience.  If both Larin and Cav are out, we need someone with a physical presence up front who can hold the ball up a bit.   David has a ton of quality but he doesn’t exactly thrive in that lone striker role.  

41 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If Larin and Cavallini are out I would personally call up Ongaro and Campbell, but most likely we see Ennin get brought in for the first time, and maybe someone like Akindele.

We're the deepest we've ever been and are calling up CPL guys? I love that the league exists but it's not comparable to MLS, Europe, etc.