Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

P.S. Yes, 5 of our 8 hat tricks ever have been within the last 2 year's, despite taking over a year break from games during that time.

Important to keep this in mind - given our opposition over the last couple of years, it is easy to get an over-inflated sense of expectations.  Good to be optimistic, perhaps better to be cautiously optimistic.

22 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Important to keep this in mind - given our opposition over the last couple of years, it is easy to get an over-inflated sense of expectations.  Good to be optimistic, perhaps better to be cautiously optimistic.

Yes, we have definitely played a disproportionate amount of minnows/ultra minnows. The Gold Cup hat tricks against Cuba though are a solid achievement since that should be against decent opposition.

11 hours ago, kacbru said:

But we have always played mostly minnows. The fact that we are regularly getting hat tricks is because of improved talent not the opposition.

6 hours ago, Ruffian said:

But we have always played mostly minnows. The fact that we are regularly getting hat tricks is because of improved talent not the opposition.

This is is only true if you look at the last 3 years or so. Prior to that, we only played the occasional gold cup game and a home and away series as our first round WCQ against Caribbean minnows. All the rest were against much stronger opposition (relative to minnows and often relative to us). 

After a bit more digging on the minnow debate. We never really play teams as small as Cayman Islands or US Virgin Islands until the last couple years. But those teams only accounted for 1 of the 5 recent hat tricks. 3 of them against Cuba and 1 against Bermuda. Here are teams definitely not bigger than these opponents we have played in WCQ the last few cycles.

2018 cycle: Dominica, Belize
2014 cycle: Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Lucia (Jackson had a hat trick against them)
2010 cycle: St. Vincent
2006 cycle: Belize

That is 2 games against each of those opponents.

The recent output isn't solely due to weaker competition. We are definitely playing better in the role of strong favourite. Hopefully we can also play better in more even match ups too.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

After a bit more digging on the minnow debate. We never really play teams as small as Cayman Islands or US Virgin Islands until the last couple years. But those teams only accounted for 1 of the 5 recent hat tricks. 3 of them against Cuba and 1 against Bermuda. Here are teams definitely not bigger than these opponents we have played in WCQ the last few cycles.

2018 cycle: Dominica, Belize
2014 cycle: Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Lucia (Jackson had a hat trick against them)
2010 cycle: St. Vincent
2006 cycle: Belize

That is 2 games against each of those opponents.

The recent output isn't solely due to weaker competition. We are definitely playing better in the role of strong favourite. Hopefully we can also play better in more even match ups too.

It’s definitely a bit of both (being better and playing weak opponents more often). Not only are our strikers/wingers better, but our midfield is more creative and better at breaking down a bunkering opponent. 

1-0 win for the Whitecaps.

Clean sheet for Crepeau, who played well all night and as @jordansaid, his distribution was very good.

Teibert was his teibert-y self. Running everywhere, being meh at everything, passing backwards etc.

Guti looked very good. He's making a lot of runs forward that would suit a team with more creativity... either way, he's looking very threatening on the left side, and we're lucky to have him. He was one of the only ones making things happen.

Cav with a solid game obviously. He's still being forced to stay further back than I'd like, but he's as dangerous as ever in front of the net (I maintain that the problem last year was service) and he took his chance well. He looks a bit quicker than I remember in March, so hopefully he can keep this up.

Baldisimo... I dunno. I think he was fine aside from one poor challenge. I'll look at his stats after the game, and apparently 8 out of his 9 longballs were accurate, but they just don't seem to lead to anything. Maybe that's a problem with the Whitecaps... I dunno. I want him to be that mini Eustaquio so badly, but I don't know whether this performance will steal him that starting spot.

Edited by PiedPilko

11 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

1-0 win for the Whitecaps.

Clean sheet for Crepeau, who played well all night and as @jordansaid, his distribution was very good.

Teibert was his teibert-y self. Running everywhere, being meh at everything, passing backwards etc.

Guti looked very good. He's making a lot of runs forward that would suit a team with more creativity... either way, he's looking very threatening on the left side, and we're lucky to have him. He was one of the only ones making things happen.

Cav with a solid game obviously. He's still being forced to stay further back than I'd like, but he's as dangerous as ever in front of the net (I maintain that the problem last year was service) and he took his chance well. He looks a bit quicker than I remember in March, so hopefully he can keep this up.

Baldisimo... I dunno. I think he was fine aside from one poor challenge. I'll look at his stats after the game, and apparently 8 out of his 9 longballs were accurate, but they just don't seem to lead to anything. Maybe that's a problem with the Whitecaps... I dunno. I want him to be that mini Eustaquio so badly, but I don't know whether this performance will steal him that starting spot.

I agree with your assessment. Gutierrez and Cavallini were the Canuck stand outs. Crepeau was solid

Considering the amount of players missing i think the Caps will be good. Im predicting a monster season for Cavallini 

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree with your assessment. Gutierrez and Cavallini were the Canuck stand outs. Crepeau was solid

Considering the amount of players missing i think the Caps will be good. Im predicting a monster season for Cavallini 

Yeah, it feels like he is going to at least double last years tally, and then some.

The new Colombian winger looks to be a solid addition, while Djome will hopefully continue to improve and give Cav someone to play with. 

Agree that Guiterrez was very good. I thought Baldisimo also showed what he can do. Even if it wasn't his best performance you can clearly see the talent he has. I think he's going to play a lot more minutes this season and start a lot of matches. 

I also have a good feeling that Raposo and especially Metcalfe will continue to play roles from the bench.  With players like these you never know whether they're going to make it at this level, especially as the club keeps strengthening, but I think the U-23 camp probably helped both lads hit the ground running and they've already made an appearance, albeit late in the match. I see both players as substitutes, but I also see them gaining more responsibility this season.

52 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Teibert get's so much unnecessary flack. His game is somewhat limited, but I thought he was his usual dependable self again last night. Our left side advanced the ball just as much as our right side yesterday. 230 games and counting for Vancouver.

It's amazing considering a decade ago he was our brightest prospect and we all thought he was going to lead us to the promise land. I remember his MLS debut against TFC in 2011 and how he impressed everyone, linking up with Dunfield IIRC a few times for some nice plays. In the end, those expectations were severely unrealistic and he looked that much better to us considering we didn't have much talent in the league on the domestic clubs. Anyhow, he is a good, reliable utility player that can play anywhere in midfield, including advanced and withdrawn flank positions and you need guys like him to fill out rosters.  

56 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Teibert get's so much unnecessary flack. His game is somewhat limited, but I thought he was his usual dependable self again last night. Our left side advanced the ball just as much as our right side yesterday. 230 games and counting for Vancouver.

Agreed. He is a dependable MLS starting caliber player. He has a lot of experience. He is good in possession and can play multiple positions. He is a 27-time capped international. What MLS club wouldn't want a guy like him? 

It's funny, because I get the sense people are somehow disappointed he didn't amount to more. At the same time though, when you take a step back and evaluate his resume, it is very impressive as far as Canadian players go. How many Canadians have played 230 games for a club in Major League Soccer?

Great servant to both the Whitecaps and Canada. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Can't you have an opinion about a player while still appreciating what they've done for their club and country? I'm too young to remember when Teibert was a top prospect, but I appreciate his work rate. He seems like a great guy, and a good leader. That's why he still has a place on the team.

That being said, I doubt that any American team would use an international slot on him. He never runs out of energy, and I'm sure he'd be a serviceable option off the bench on most teams, but he really isn't above average at anything. It's why Kaye, Osorio and Piette will always get a call before him. Can't I acknowledge his shortcomings while still appreciating him?

4 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Can't you have an opinion about a player while still appreciating what they've done for their club and country? I'm too young to remember when Teibert was a top prospect, but I appreciate his work rate. He seems like a great guy, and a good leader. That's why he still has a place on the team.

That being said, I doubt that any American team would use an international slot on him. He never runs out of energy, and I'm sure he'd be a serviceable option off the bench on most teams, but he really isn't above average at anything. It's why Kaye, Osorio and Piette will always get a call before him. Can't I acknowledge his shortcomings while still appreciating him?

Can't disagree with any of the bolded part of your comment. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I doubt any American team would use an international spot on him, but that's just me. I see your point and it's fair. 

Acknowledging his shortcomings is fine, but sometimes it feels we like we don't value him as much as we should. How many midfielders do we have at this level who are as consistent as he is, year after year?

I know it's Vancouver, but still, he often starts and wears the armband, and regardless of his limitations, that in itself is an achievement for a Canadian player.

The fact he's pretty much an afterthought just speaks to how strong our team has become, perhaps..

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

It's amazing considering a decade ago he was our brightest prospect and we all thought he was going to lead us to the promise land. I remember his MLS debut against TFC in 2011 and how he impressed everyone, linking up with Dunfield IIRC a few times for some nice plays. In the end, those expectations were severely unrealistic and he looked that much better to us considering we didn't have much talent in the league on the domestic clubs. Anyhow, he is a good, reliable utility player that can play anywhere in midfield, including advanced and withdrawn flank positions and you need guys like him to fill out rosters.  

I think the league has outgrown a lot of players since 2011. Teibert has modified his game and found ways of adapting in order to stay relevant in a rapidly improving league. Boxall, Salinas, Jordan Harvey, and Camilo are the only other active players that haven't dropped a level.

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Why are you quoting me as if I'm preventing you from echoing a common and longstanding opinion? In regards to Guti, usually when a fullback gets forward successfully, they have a winger that's putting in the work that allows them to do that.

By the way Teibert has 10 caps since all those players broke into the national team, and they've all pretty much been available for each one of those caps.

Edited by Aird25

Teibert was that gun prospect that could have been the superstar that we all hoped he'd be on the evidence of his play as a 17- and 18-year old. There was an actual reason that the Whitecaps fought the league to change the rules to allow academy players to sign GA contracts. Unfortunately, he suffered a stupid injury in that first MLS season, then had his development massively derailed by a poor manager in Martin Rennie when he got back to fitness. It's to his credit that he's been able to adapt his game to achieve a long career as a dependable squad player, rather than being a mercurial presence on the wings. He's not going to be the first name in any future CMNT squad list, but he's always worth having around, as he can play multiple positions and always puts in a shift.

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I still have a feeling he might not get the best service this year, I'm pretty sure he hardly saw the ball the first half. I'm happy he got one already though, 10-15 goals should be doable as long as the Whitecaps improve at all from last year. Then again, he was able to score 10+ in Liga MX twice on a mid-bottom table Puebla team so he'll probably be fine either way.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

I still have a feeling he might not get the best service this year, I'm pretty sure he hardly saw the ball the first half. I'm happy he got one already though, 10-15 goals should be doable as long as the Whitecaps improve at all from last year. Then again, he was able to score 10+ in Liga MX twice on a mid-bottom table Puebla team so he'll probably be fine either way.

I think the Brazilian dude will help with this. From what I've heard he's pretty good. One of the only bright spots on a bad team last year in Brazil. 

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

His heat map was almost entirely within Vancouver’s half after the first half

It’s interesting. Having defended MDS’ subs (which I stand by) I think the reason Cava didn’t get as much service as he should have, and the reason Teibert is getting stick for his performance (which I think is unfair) is that a midfield three of Baldi, Bikel and Teibert misses out on a 10-type player to link up. Ok, there is no 10 player really — we know that — but given the limited options, I think MDS would have been better off having Teibert or Guti further up and pull either Deiber or Dajome into the middle above Baldi and Bikel and beneath Cava. Not their main position obviously but that would have been better than the gap that Cava had to keep coming back to fill himself. Caps had three guys tripping over each other on both flanks and a Christmas tree with no star in the middle...  Hard to blame MDS given what he had to work with, but that’s what I would have done. Same players just rearranged.

That said, as Aird25 just posted as I was typing, it’s hard to argue with that heat map. pretty balanced. 

Edited by shorty

17 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The marking was beyond shocking on that Cavallini goal 

There's a screen that worked. Cav was asked to explain it in the press conference and refused to. But said they'd practiced it. 

Regardless, putting your best header at the far post is not usual, nor is getting the long ball to him, nor giving him the space to strike.