WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

2 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

There was no reason for Nelson to be in this camp instead of Olympic qualifying where he might have actually been useful. There’s also more than enough players in the Olympic squad who have a lot better argument to be in the wcq then Nelson.

Did you miss the part about the Covid outbreak on TFC messing up all the previous plans?

Edited by Acid-Tone

Over the moon to see Phonzie, Hutch, Eustaquio Larin etc on the squad. Disappointed to not see David or Osorio, I’m not the highest on Wotherspoon but I definitely prefer him over Teibert. Nelson and Corbeanu should see sub time and it’s good for them to gauge where they’re at In regards to top players in the program. Congrats to Joel Waterman, Theo Corbeanu and Dayne St Clair on their first international call ups!! Here’s to many more!! On we go lads!

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Bro I'm just about done with Arfield. Sounds like he doesn't even want to play for us unless its against notable names.

Pretty rich coming from a guy who regularly beats up on teams in Scotland.

Got to stay rested for the big Cove Rangers match

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Bro I'm just about done with Arfield. Sounds like he doesn't even want to play for us unless its against notable names.

Meh I think it’s a fair point..the travel and injury risk at his age might not be worth it if it’s just to beat up on French Guyana and Cayman Islands.

if we wants to be there for the Octagonal competition then so be it 

5 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

There was no reason for Nelson to be in this camp instead of Olympic qualifying where he might have actually been useful. There’s also more than enough players in the Olympic squad who have a lot better argument to be in the wcq then Nelson.

He wasn't able to go to the OQ because of the COVID outbreak. I'd rather see an 18 year old who'll potentially be part of the program for years to come than Tesho or Edwards, who's wouldn't contribute anything better or different than the other older guys called.

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Lol -  not sure what he thought he signed up for.

against weak opponents in the gold cup is funny given Canada lost 2 of the 4 games played in the 2019 tournament.

Edited by trc2014

Kinda frustrated that Herdman gave Arfield the captaincy with him having this kind of mindset. This is not how a captain should think.

I can only hope Herdman doesn't do what he did last time and just basically play 2 defenders and just throw in all the attacking players. It doesn't help team chemistry and throws the balance off. Should treat this opponent with respect.

I would've liked to see players like Bustos called up instead of wotherspoon personally.

Just now, Colliedor said:

Kinda frustrated that Herdman gave Arfield the captaincy with him having this kind of mindset. This is not how a captain should think.

I can only hope Herdman doesn't do what he did last time and just basically play 2 defenders and just throw in all the attacking players. It doesn't help team chemistry and throws the balance off. Should treat this opponent with respect.

I would've liked to see players like Bustos called up instead of wotherspoon personally.

I bet Herdman is beating himself up about giving Arfield the C, I have a feeling he takes that kind of thing very seriously.  You can tell by how much he revealed in what he said, he is usually a politician and this is the first time I remember him publicizing any kind of frustration at all with a player.

23 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Ferreira has been with Herdman since February according to Lucas Dias. He (Ferreira) has been helping JH and his scouting team scout luso-canadians (that's what you call a Portuguese/Canadian descendent) in Liga NOS/ as well as understand the structure of that league system. 

I do agree that JH will likely use this as a showcase for Ferreira and will probably look to help Ferreira land a spot on an MLS team. 

As a fellow luso-canadiano, I love hearing this.  I always thought we were underrepresented on the NT.  Dating all the way back to 2004 when Robocop was coming off a really good season with Benfica and wasn't called up in the following windows for important WC 2006 qualifying games.  

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t get this hate for Wotherspoon.  He is one of the leaders and the most skilled player for a Top Six club in the SPFL.  Is he a starter for Canada, maybe so, maybe not.  But I’d much rather have him in the squad than Bustos or a few others suggested.

I’m guessing most of the hate is for how terrible he looked in his one appearance for us vs Cuba.

that being said he is match fit and apparently having the best season of his career so I don’t have an issue with the call 

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t get this hate for Wotherspoon.  He is one of the leaders and the most skilled player for a Top Six club in the SPFL.  Is he a starter for Canada, maybe so, maybe not.  But I’d much rather have him in the squad than Bustos or a few others suggested.

Agreed about Wotherspoon. With Hutch, Kaye and Eustaquio in midfield he most likely doesn’t start, but in the absence of Arfield and Osorio he’s a good  depth player.

55 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I know this will be controversial but I’d much prefer someone like teibert then Nelson. Don’t need to be testing out a young player during wcq. 

I can understand this point of view but disagree. I don't think the specific comparison makes a lot of sense though, I think Nelson is there to provide some creativity and offense in the middle of the park whereas Teibert for me is more of a defensive midfielder. If Nelson is there instead of Osorio becuase the latter is injured, it doesn't make sense to replace Osorio with Teibert. If anything, someone like Jay Chapman or Raheem Edwards would have made more sense than Teibert in terms of the qualities they would bring to replace Osorio. If someone like Estaquio or Piette weren't available, then I think the call is made to Teibert as a replacement. Although even then, I'd personally prefer Liam Fraser.

I dont get the hate in general? This team is amazing all things considered. I can't believe we have a game to watch in Thursday with Phonzie involved. Im actually bummed we're playing such weak opposition. So excited that things will progress quickly over the next couple months

Edited by SpursFlu

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’m guessing most of the hate is for how terrible he looked in his one appearance for us vs Cuba.

that being said he is match fit and apparently having the best season of his career so I don’t have an issue with the call 

I agree but will put it down to a first nervous start for Canada.  We can’t be discarding players after a below average performance in one game.

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL