WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

They might not be able to exclusively advertise player jerseys but they could offer the “customizable” option *wink wink*. That’s how I got my Davies and Hutchinson Canada shirts. I also have a friend who bought a 2019 Nike kit and the store owner ordered in the lettering and pressed it with David for him. 

Borjan's error. Been meaning to comment for a few days: that Borjan move was a typical thing he does. Watching him in Europa League this year, he tends to not catch on the first, lets it drop just like that.

This is often a security thing for some keepers, even down low they trap loosely, letting it out a bit then gathering, so as to not risk not catching surely the first time. I can think of keepers who never let out rebounds or drop high balls, high quality keepers, and others who do this as a habit, even being elite. 

Was a poor move at this particular time with an attacker on him. 

17 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Hey I thought Ferreira was gone but now he’s with us. In the weird switches players have been making with FIFA saying OK. Anything is possible. Tomori has only played one game with England and when he was 21. So no he can switch. 

It’s been stated many times on here before, but he would have had to play with England BEFORE TURNING 21 to be able to switch back to Canada. So unless the rules are changed further, or some exception is made, he is gone.

22 hours ago, Lansdude said:

We're definitely insecure as fuck, especially when we're competing in fancy global and cosmopolitan arenas. This is why I hate Europhiles who shit on MLS and CPL, because as soon as the external view of Canadian soccer shifts they will too.

Indeed, once it becomes cool to like the Canadian National Team, which is going to happen very shortly, all those guys will jump on board and pretend like they were on this train from the get go. 

This isn't a bad thing as we want the Canadian MNT to gain massive traction.  However, at that point, the onus will be on us Vs to keep our egos in check and not turn into the Canadian soccer snob version of Radiohead fans that try to boast when the first time we ever saw a live show was. 

19 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Hey I thought Ferreira was gone but now he’s with us. In the weird switches players have been making with FIFA saying OK. Anything is possible. Tomori has only played one game with England and when he was 21. So no he can switch. 

This is like the biggest unsolved mystery on this board, is he or isn't he eligible?

19 hours ago, narduch said:

I've mentioned in another thread that for the previous Olympic qualifiers they were shown on TLN and streamed in the CSA website.

TSN and Sportsnet aren't interested.

They soon will be.

Edited by Macksam

"They soon will be."

I concur but I really believe that if we get more big time match ups again, such as in friendlies, TSN and Sportsnet would be back in the tv picture looking at getting the rights.

The Davies brand is growing worldwide.  I know that sounds hyperbolic and may not be what others want to see but it is a cash cow situation.  And with a burgeoning supporting cast plus the return of an evergreen, underrated all time great to the program in Hutch, we have a team that would be an intriguing draw in big time places.  Canada vs England at Wembley?  It could be like when the young guns Chilean team went there and won.  

The eyes on the prize is WCQ, above all else, but as I posted in the Grande thread, I miss those sexy friendlies abroad we used to have.  Those same opponents now could be really competitive affairs with plenty of media focus.  And with media focus comes $.  And then those same opponents start coming to BMO to play us in our house.  Italy or Portugal back in Toronto?  Pricey ticket, guaranteed.  Hard to jack up broader interest with the Bahamas part timers coming to town in a Nations League tie.  Watching David slide a pass through to Larin for his third goal against a semi pro CB doesn't have quite the same allure as having Larin battle Van Dijk in a friendly vs Holland.

Perhaps the Nations League format in between major tourneys has changed the FIFA friendly landscape, for now at least.  But if we get back to normal in a post Covid world, we might see that change again.   

On 3/28/2021 at 12:10 PM, Macksam said:

This is like the biggest unsolved mystery on this board, is he or isn't he eligible?

It's not an unsolved mystery. SpecialK thinks he can still play for Canada, the rules and everyone else on this board know he can't. If we are going to include Tomori in talk of potential lineups, we might as well include Mbappe or whoever else we want to as well, since they are equally eligible to play for us at this moment.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:10 PM, Macksam said:

It's not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2020/09/19/fifa-eligibility-rule-change-offers-world-cup-hopes-for-one-cap-wonders/?sh=5cbd1041511e

"This applies so long as they have played no more than three matches (including friendlies), none of the matches were in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or confederation competition, and they all happened before the player turned 21."

He was 21 (Born 97, capped in 2019) when he played an official match for England.

Edited by PopePouri

29 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

It's not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2020/09/19/fifa-eligibility-rule-change-offers-world-cup-hopes-for-one-cap-wonders/?sh=5cbd1041511e

"This applies so long as they have played no more than three matches (including friendlies), none of the matches were in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or confederation competition, and they all happened before the player turned 21."

He was 21 (Born 97, capped in 2019) when he played an official match for England.

Before 21...that last technicality bit us.

I couldn't remember which competitions sealed the deal on cap tying. Looks like guys that didn't file a one time switch that play in a World Cup Qualifier before the age of 21 aren't cap tied yet. That doesn't apply to any of our guys in the current squad does it?

If I'm right, Corbeanu is stuck with us since he switched from Romanian youth to us (not sure if he played official matches or not). Sturing apparently is 23, so he is too old to switch now. Jayden Nelson is at 3 caps so he could theoretically switch if he is eligible for another nation, but I don't know if he is and he doesn't seem likely to switch. Allaistair Johnston is 22, so he is tied to us now (and again, I don't know if he is eligible anywhere else).