WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

56 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So he's been scouting two players? Are there others we don't know about?

Having Ferreira involved for this recruitment could reap huge benefits in the long-term. 

We missed out on Daniel Fernandes in the past, missed the prime of Ferreira (although injury was also a large contributor to that), nearly lost Eustaquio. 

Just watched the Herdman press conference on tsn.ca (nice to see them providing some coverage after the Olympic coverage has been somewhat lacking), he mentioned that the Davies red card had nothing to do with his availability for this tourney (he also said he didn't think it was a red card, but someone in Germany disagrees since they gave him a 2 game suspension).

Said that Osorio & David were the two main players they weren't able to get, through either injury or COVID protocols, but have to assume he forgot to mention Doneil Henry (unless it was in a segment TSN didnt show, since it was edited and didn't feature any of his comments on Arfield).

This roster pretty much must confirm that he doesn't rate Manrejkar James all that highly

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t get this hate for Wotherspoon.  He is one of the leaders and the most skilled player for a Top Six club in the SPFL.  Is he a starter for Canada, maybe so, maybe not.  But I’d much rather have him in the squad than Bustos or a few others suggested.

I think the role he’s playing right now for our squad is exactly where he should be. He’s the perfect fill in option when we’re missing one of our “A” team midfielders, like in this situation with Osorio. As of right now,  I have him 6th on our midfield depth chart, behind the likes of Hutch/Eustaquio/Kaye/Osorio and Piette. He could even drop to 7th this year based on how Baldi plays for the Whitecaps. He does well at a top level team in the SPFL, but for me anything outside of the old firm is a big drop off in talent. None the less, he’s here doing the exact thing we need him for, giving our Mens team good depth. 

edit: he’s more like 7/8th because I forgot Arfield

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ferreira call up is a bit of a joke IMO. But I guess it wouldn't be a true Canada squad without Unattached FC.

Looks like captying for the sake of captying if you ask me.

Same with Frank Struring. I mean I know he was once a highly touted talent, but do we really need a reserve player from the worse team in the Eerste Divisie?

I’m happy with the squad.

people forget that Nelsen is very highly rated but over shadowed by Rutty and Priso, heck even Fraser and Okello. He’s right up there for our 2002’s and will likely play a prominent role going forward.

the reality is that he is part of the reason for Vanney’s departure and for why Pozeulo spoke out.

awesome news to see that we’re scouting Portugal for luso Canadians, but who is there that we can find ? That’s a good league and we could raid them for talent if it’s eligible. I don’t believe Dias is one of them as he is currently in the fold, as is Ferreira. 

@JasonDias any idea if Lucas has been invited to a future senior camp ? Or any Luso that we don’t know of ? 

im excited to hear that we’re going OTB for duals, but why is Herdman trying to understand that structure... oh I have questions but I’m hopeful we’ll have news and answers soon.

also, thank you for your service Scotty.

we have to earn the right to play good opponents and we haven’t done that. This is part of the process.

1 minute ago, shamrock said:

Same with Frank Struring. I mean I know he was once a highly touted talent, but do we really need a reserve player from the worse team in the Eerste Divisie?

They both filed their switches and can’t go back. They’re called because we believe in them. Don’t overlook a player based on his league, that would be like Sargent vs David way back in 2019.

1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

Agreed about Wotherspoon. With Hutch, Kaye and Eustaquio in midfield he most likely doesn’t start, but in the absence of Arfield and Osorio he’s a good  depth player.

On Wotherspoon, can we all just agree that it's a shame that we now have a guy nicknamed 'spoony', but unfortunately 10 years after 'Taste the Soup'. That banner practically writes itself.

1 minute ago, shamrock said:

Go ahead and take a flyer on some CB's, young or old, HAHA.  I thought similar to you when Vitoria committed (whats the point?), but he has been a very useful player for us.  I dont see why Ferreira couldnt pan out similarly.  

I totally understand Scott Arfield position and mind set and I hope the CSA really takes note. Start playing against the big boys and he’ll be there.  With herdman statement , Arfield seems pissed playing against shopkeepers and getting hurt. It’s joke we can’t play against the best in the world. Also he’s got a young family and playing hard for club

1 hour ago, Acid-Tone said:

As a fellow luso-canadiano, I love hearing this.  I always thought we were underrepresented on the NT.  Dating all the way back to 2004 when Robocop was coming off a really good season with Benfica and wasn't called up in the following windows for important WC 2006 qualifying games.  

Robocop--Aguiar--was overly ignored by us when he was at Benfica, winning the cup, but he also did turn down one call as his wife was having a kid that week. Think it was for our Czech Republic friendly, in 2003.

How I think we line up vs Bermuda. Really not much to say about this line up, they should have no issue slaughtering a Bermuda team that will likely be watered down. I’ve always liked Davies cutting inside to his left foot on his opposite wing when he plays there for us, also keeps Junior on his suited wing. And just like Davies at LB for Bayern but Wing for us, I feel the same way about Larin on the wing for the nats. Our biggest threat is our pace on the flanks and Larin there takes away from that. 

4E6636EE-5BD5-44DF-BAE5-3ED5DAB0F9C4.jpeg

13 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

How I think we line up vs Bermuda. Really not much to say about this line up, they should have no issue slaughtering a Bermuda team that will likely be watered down. I’ve always liked Davies cutting inside to his left foot on his opposite wing when he plays there for us, also keeps Junior on his suited wing. And just like Davies at LB for Bayern but Wing for us, I feel the same way about Larin on the wing for the nats. Our biggest threat is our pace on the flanks and Larin there takes away from that. 

4E6636EE-5BD5-44DF-BAE5-3ED5DAB0F9C4.jpeg

I like it but Kaye over Piette. 

On 3/23/2021 at 2:15 PM, Dominic94 said:

@JasonDias any idea if Lucas has been invited to a future senior camp ? Or any Luso that we don’t know of ? 

im excited to hear that we’re going OTB for duals, but why is Herdman trying to understand that structure... oh I have questions but I’m hopeful we’ll have news and answers soon.

As for your structure question, Liga NOS and the Portuguese football system is one of, if not the biggest gateway for Central and South American talent to get into Europe. So it's logical that he may want to know how that system is fed talent. For both preparing for and likely driving home grown talent towards.

Who wouldn't want to see Tajon Buchanan set up Waldschmidt/Seferovic on Benfica (they really need to fill depth at the RW/RWB position). 

Edited by JasonDias

6 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I like it but Kaye over Piette. 

Agreed. I'm in the camp of not rating Piette too highly, especially with the options we have. He seems a bit of a polarizing player in our pool. I see a good amount of Voyageurs rate him and then the complete opposite. 

Kaye is a funny player to me. He's talented and effective but he kinda driffs around a lot. He's more of an attack minded player lots of finesse no panic, square balls etc etc. That's cool but Piette plays a different role  He's a disruptor with a decent outlet ball. If I look at the above starting 11 the question is more Atiba or MAK

27 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

He's been asked about coming out and hanging out with June/GC camps depending on the outcome of the OQ tournament.

As for your structure question, Liga NOS and the Portuguese football system is one of, if not the biggest gateway for Central and South American talent to get into Europe. So it's logical that he may want to know how that system is fed talent. For both preparing for and likely driving home grown talent towards.

Who wouldn't want to see Tajon Buchanan set up Waldschmidt/Seferovic on Benfica (they really need to fill depth at the RW/RWB position). 

Hopefully he goes and Herdman actually plays him at 10. His talent and quality is evident with every touch, I know people thought it would a step too high but I have yet to see a reason why he shouldn’t have started period. 

leads us to a bigger problem, we are producing this elusive #10 player and we will see more of it as the Davies and Giovinco generation arrive. We have to learn how to use this player. 

In an ideal world, Colyn, Habibullah, Dias and Flores will fight each other for the 10 shirt for the next decade.  

as for the rest it makes sense and I get that, we can’t just send everyone to Germany and Belgium, it is true that a lot of youth talent plies there trade in Portugal before a bigger move.

not sure you can or will answer this, but was Lucas aware at the time that he may not fit into the teams tactics ?

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Kaye is a funny player to me. He's talented and effective but he kinda driffs around a lot. He's more of an attack minded player lots of finesse no panic, square balls etc etc. That's cool but Piette plays a different role  He's a disruptor with a decent outlet ball. If I look at the above starting 11 the question is more Atiba or MAK

Eustaquio can play the #6 role. So he would drop down and MAK would take #8 . Piette has a role in our squad...sub on when we need to hold a lead and kill the game off.  As a starter I'm concerned with his ability to play through a high press. The CA teams all like to press when they play us. Piette is not great on the ball under pressure. But as I said he has an important role to play for us.

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL